Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
16v battery... how to
Posted by: stephenscool
Date: June 11, 2017 12:32PM
Anyone have any insights? I have that orange battery holder from the Ukraine, couple rnb batteries,,,, but want to try out 1 of the 16v. Redman won't mail international. Anyone try building 1 with photos? Say 10 aa batteries (mod battery door and tray) or stronger v batteries. Hands are pretty tied where I am so can't really experiment

Re: 16v battery... how to
Posted by: Jim in Idaho
Date: June 11, 2017 04:27PM
I haven't looked, but I'd bet you could find a UTube video of the plans to build one. To get the whole thing to fit, using 4 L-ion batteries requires removing the stock battery holder bottom panel and replacing it with a thinner panel. My Reidman 16v has a soft, flexible bottom panel. I don't think there's any way to fit 9, or 10 AA's in the battery holder. One guy did it with AAA's but you'd go through a lot of batteries doing that. Maybe rechargeable AAA's would be the way to go.
jim

Date: June 11, 2017 06:08PM
Any chance of a photo of your 16v? I don't want to go the aaa battery route, just too many moving parts. Hopefully I can convince Reidman to send me 1... just don't have the resources where I am... heck, even utube is firewalled

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2017 06:20PM by stephenscool.

Date: June 11, 2017 08:49PM
The photo wouldn't help Steven. The battery pack is just a typical Whites pack from the outside. The bottom is flexible, but looks just like any other Whites 8 AA pack.
Jim

Date: June 11, 2017 09:00PM
All that's needed to make a 16.8 v pack is 4 L-ion batteries. Then you need a small circuit board that connects to the individual batteries to provide balancing of the charge. Most of those boards also offer automatic shutoff when the minimum voltage is reached. Then remove the door on a Whites 8 cell pack, and figure out how to make the 4 L-ion cells and the circuit board fit in there. Once it all works, you could encapsulate the guts with epoxy to make a solid unit out of it. It's not rocket science, but it does take some time. I looked at several videos on Youtube today showing how to do the electrical portion of making L-ion battery packs.
Jim

Posted by: Ozleif
Date: June 12, 2017 10:01PM
A fast way to try if 16 volt is worth it on a TDI SL or SPP.

Date: June 13, 2017 06:08PM
That looks good and light Ozleif. Any spec info on the batteries? What did you use on the left side? I assume this was just to complete the circuit or does it have another purpose?

Date: June 13, 2017 06:56PM
Trying to find a 4v rechargeable battery that has a length of 10cm (same as 2 x AA)
Then I can just load those in the battery holder. So far have found 18650 with a length of 13cm with the same circumference as an AA battery

Date: June 13, 2017 10:24PM
The Whites TDI-SL penlight holder was used in the picture as there is no modification required.

With a small modification it can house two times 4 AA 14500 Li-ion in parallel which would increase the mAh capacity.

The two tubes on the left was just to complete the circuit without any other modification required.

18560 Li-ion cells will not fit in this battery tray.

It is possible to make a battery tray that will house 4x18560 Li-ion cells and fit neatly in the TDI-SL or SPP.

Date: June 13, 2017 11:02PM
Are those 4 batteries protected or did you rig something up? How important is it for the batteries to be pcb protected ? Wouldn't checking the voltage before and after of each cell be enough or is there a chance of 1 going hot in use and damaging the detector?

Date: June 13, 2017 11:19PM
If using a 4 cells battery I would use protected cells, the picture was just used as a sample.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: June 14, 2017 01:55AM
if you don't mind having an external battery pack its easy to do :biggrin:

here is one I did on my mx5 it would be easy to do on the sl I am sure..

this is a 3 cell pack can buy 4 cell holders off eBay

just run a plus minus lead out of the detector or you could even use the empty whites battery holder solder the wires on to that to make the connection and case to hold the 4 pack and some 3m hook lock tape to attach the pack on the outside..

here is the one I did for the mx5 http://www.findmall.com/read.php?31,2299729,page=2

you get the idea and then you can just pop the battery's and charge them on a 10$ charger off eBay and carry spares weights going to be the same just on the outside.

anyway its an idea

any questions give us a yell.

AJ

Date: June 14, 2017 08:02AM
Already bought 4 3.7v 14500 sized batteries. Not sure how long they will last and 800mah or so.
If I had the resources to experiment with I would try putting in 8 of the batteries with a switch that would change from the 1st 4 to the 2nd 4.... essentially 2 battery packs in 1 battery holder. Changing packs at the beach can be troublesome

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login