Re: Will this make my tdi explode
Posted by: Jim in Idaho
Date: June 20, 2017 08:25AM
Nice setup!
Jim

Posted by: stephenscool
Date: June 24, 2017 06:24PM
Chatted briefly with Redman. Asked if I could buy the battery pack with no batteries (international shipping). I then got a 1 page rant response.
I could have easily bought the correct batteries locally and slipped them into his pack

Date: June 24, 2017 11:08PM
Sorry you got a poor response, Stephen. I imagine the batteries are soldered in, or maybe spot welded. I'm sure the components are hard-wired in any case. I also imagine that Reidman has put a lot of effort into making all that fit, and does not want any potential competitors having an easy time copying his work. I don't blame him for that.
Jim

Date: June 25, 2017 07:02AM
Total agree. But if he can't mail them international what makes him think I can. I know he put a lot of work and effort into... I have no problem paying what he is asking. Just without the batteries but with a few instructions. Even if I had any desire to copy his work the market is so small it's hardly worth it. Never mind the fact i would have to look at myself in the mirror

Date: June 25, 2017 08:33AM
I think it was Clauswitz (sp?) that said "prepare for what the enemy can do, not what he might do". Reidman has no idea of the character of the people he meets online. I agree with all you said, but as a businessman, Reidman has to assume everybody is out to get him. I was in business for myself for my entire adult life. To survive in a competitive environment, you don't take chances with your business. Especially if the upside is a measly bit of profit. His profit is maybe $20 selling to you. His possible downside is somebody else entering his tiny market......that tradeoff would be stupid.
Jim

Posted by: roadapple
Date: June 25, 2017 10:05AM
If you buy a bucket of chicken from the Sanders chicken man and the ask for the secret recipe......what do you think the answer will be ...LoL

Date: June 25, 2017 01:05PM
Same risk as selling to someone locally and that person opening the battery pack. At least with me im on the opposite side of the world. Local copycat will have a product out within a month. It's his work and his decision... I just want to buy 1

Posted by: sandbandit
Date: July 01, 2017 03:08AM
I would stick with the manufacturer's design limits if you're concerned about potential damage. The TDI SL is rated for 12 volts nominal (maximum input = 16 volts), and the TDI/TDI Pro is rated for 14.4 volts nominal (maximum input = 18.5 volts). I'm not an electrical engineer, but it's better to be safe than sorry if you are worried about over-powering your machine.

Richard
San Diego

Date: July 01, 2017 06:47AM
I did find the same battery pack locally. I would have to rearrange it to fit in the battery pack... maybe something i will try in the fall. For now it's the rnb packs

Date: July 01, 2017 08:42AM
Good job locating the 16.8v pack locally, Stephen. I knew you'd get it figured out. I'm going to build an extra pack this winter, myself. Everything you need to know is on Youtube.
Jim

Date: July 01, 2017 08:57PM
14.8v. The higher voltage was making my Jimmy coil squeak. Only had it on for 30 seconds or so but long enough to know nothing good was happening. Switched back to the rnb and the coil is perfect again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2017 09:16PM by stephenscool.

Date: July 01, 2017 11:26PM
The 16.8v works fine with both of the stock coils, and my Miner John 5 x9 Folded Mono.
Jim

Date: July 02, 2017 03:04AM
I for the most part use the Jimmy coil exclusively. It was giving off sounds like water in the coil. Switched to the lower v and It's fine now

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login