Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
Will this make my tdi explode
Posted by: stephenscool
Date: June 19, 2017 02:51AM
Talked to Redman briefly through email. He said it should be ok. Can anyone concur before I turn it on? Would hate to fry it

Re: Will this make my tdi explode
Date: June 19, 2017 04:06AM
2015 sl model

Posted by: Jim in Idaho
Date: June 19, 2017 06:26AM
I run mine at 16.8 when fresh off the charger...never had a problem. Supposedly, the capacitors in the power supply are only rated for 16.0v, but Reg told me they have a safety factor and as long as you stay below 18v you should be OK. I just bought a charger that lets me set the max voltage. That way I can limit the voltage to 16v if I want. That will reduce the run time a little, but will double the battery life, if not triple. Of course, YMMV!
Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2017 06:27AM by Jim in Idaho.

Date: June 19, 2017 08:11AM
Thanks Jim. I'm only using 4 batteries, but the holder can take 8. Anyway to get 8 in there and keep the voltage under 17v? At 700mah these 4 batteries are going to last an hour or so I think

Date: June 19, 2017 10:05AM
Stephen, I have no idea. Are those Li-ion? I think the SL draws about .5amps, so you should get about an hour and 25 minutes. I'd guess you'll need to get at least one spare set and swap them out often. Did you have to modify the battery box to get them in there? I think the 3400mah's that Reidman uses are larger in diameter, so the box has to be slightly modified for 4 of them to fit. looks to me like Reidman removed the cover, and installed a thinner cover to give enough clearance.
Jim

Date: June 19, 2017 10:12AM
I had to connect the empty slots to complete the circuit. The li ion batteries fit perfectly into the holder.
I have a couple rnb batteries that last 3 hours or so. I'm interested to see if there is a depth difference or not. Any idea what voltage the sl starts to act up and lose noticeable depth or no signal response at all?

Posted by: amberjack
Date: June 19, 2017 10:21AM
go big or go home isn't that the saying :bouncy:

same volts as you have there and huge run time these are the big guns baby http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TrustFire-4x-Rechargeable-3-7V-5000mAh-26650-Li-ion-Batteries-CT/291969805825

the brand is good also had a set for years still going..

have a look around for a better brand if you wish keep power is another good brand if you are after run time this is it and seriously playing with those 14500 is a waste of time (sorry)

once you lose the (they have to be inside the detector) thinking the world opens up..

one of my 1st etrac proto types the only restriction is the imagination

AJ

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2017 10:29AM by amberjack.

Date: June 19, 2017 11:10AM
26650 batteries have a longer.length and.wider diameter than an AA battery? Imcnot looking to modify the battery holder or the actual unit.
If the it's just the diameter that's wider I can figure a work around... length not so much

Posted by: Old California
Date: June 19, 2017 02:58PM
I purchased a pack from Reidman, think fully charged was 21 volts. I'll charge it again and check, normally my pack runs between 18 to 21 volts.

You're ok With 16 volts, thanks for sharing.

Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Date: June 19, 2017 06:04PM
amberjack
go big or go home isn't that the saying :bouncy:

same volts as you have there and huge run time these are the big guns baby http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TrustFire-4x-Rechargeable-3-7V-5000mAh-26650-Li-ion-Batteries-CT/291969805825

the brand is good also had a set for years still going..

have a look around for a better brand if you wish keep power is another good brand if you are after run time this is it and seriously playing with those 14500 is a waste of time (sorry)

once you lose the (they have to be inside the detector) thinking the world opens up..

one of my 1st etrac proto types the only restriction is the imagination

AJ
The problem is fit, in the SL. Does no good to post batteries without dimensions, or without knowing they will go in the SL battery box. The SL is not the same setup as the TDI and TDI Pro. Stephen is using the SL, as I understand it. The Reidman battery is about all the capacity you can fit in the SL battery pack...3400mah. That gives you about 6 hours
of runtime.

Date: June 19, 2017 06:15PM
stephenscool
I had to connect the empty slots to complete the circuit. The li ion batteries fit perfectly into the holder.
I have a couple rnb batteries that last 3 hours or so. I'm interested to see if there is a depth difference or not. Any idea what voltage the sl starts to act up and lose noticeable depth or no signal response at all?
There is a definite sensitivity and depth difference between 12.6 volts and 16.8 volts. The difference is just about linear.....more voltage = more depth and sensitivity. You start losing depth as soon as you turn your machine on, but very slowly as the batteries discharge. On a nickel, I saw 2" of difference between 16.8 volts and 12.6 volts. Sensitivity to a 1 grain gold bar was on the order of 17%...3" vs 2 1/2".
I'm glad to hear there are rechargeable Li-ion's that fit in the unmodifed holder. That means, providing you're willing to buy all you need, you can have the higher voltage without buying a special pack. Just have to change them out more often. Reg is working on an external pack setup, so he could have 10 or 12 hours of use. He'll have to install a jack to plug the pack into, and mount the pack on the bottom of the SL....maybe with Velcro. Or, have a cord running from a belt-mounted pack. Doing it that way, the pack dimensions wouldn't matter.
Jim

Date: June 19, 2017 06:22PM
I think the trick will be getting 8 batteries of the 14500 size into the battery holder while keeping it under 17v. Basically combining 2 batteries into 1 while increasing the mah but keeping the v the same. Then doing this same process to all 4 batteries. Ideal result would be 4 x 3.7v... 8x900mah.

Actually it wouldn't be too difficult. Recharging the batteries would likely be challenging

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2017 06:25PM by stephenscool.

Date: June 19, 2017 10:27PM
Recharging would be simple, Stephen. Just make up two 4 cell packs and wire them in parallel with quick disconnects. Charge each one separately with 16.8 volt charger.
J

Posted by: Ozleif
Date: June 20, 2017 01:53AM
Had a battery pack with 8 cells . . . 4 x 18650 3.7v Li-ion in series . . . . 2x4 in parallel.

Didn't need that much capacity, so it was modified to a holder with 4 . . . can also use with 3 cells and a dummy, my preferred way . . . . 4 cells 16volt made it to noisy for my liking.

If I need more run time then the 6 pack will do . . . use it with 3 as in picture or with 6 cells.

Date: June 20, 2017 05:04AM
Anyone have 1 to sell with or without the batteries? I might be able to try this in October or so... no chance until then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login