Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
TDI and TDI Pro
Posted by: Reg
Date: October 22, 2017 09:30AM
Some people think there is some magical difference between the TDI and the Pro, but there isn't . The truth is, both use the same motherboard and only differ by these three things. First, the Pro has a vernier GB control which is done by simply inserting another pot in one of the GB pot wires. Next, the internal volume control on the TDI is removed and a new pot is soldered to the motherboard in place of the removed volume pot used on the regular TDI. Finally, here is the real important difference and that is two capacitors are changed to different values.

The TDI has .22uf caps and the Pro has .10uf caps on the differential integrator stages. Now here is the beauty, change these two caps on the TDI and you have a "poor man's" TDI Pro. The vernier GB pot isn't needed here in the US nor is the volume control.

Owners who had The mods done to reduce the noise and had the "Pro" capacitor change mod already have this capacitor change and already do have an improved poor man's Pro. I say improved because they have the noise reduction mod that is already in the SL.

Actually, the TDI noise reduction mod it is an improved version of the SL mod that makes the SL threshold so quiet. Actually, SL's made from 2015 and later have the improved version also. In late 2014 a strange "hiccup" noise was causing serious concerns in Australia on a version of the SL called the SPP (Sierra Pulse Pro). With help of Alan Holcomb (then retiring CEO of Whites providing equipment and the assistance of Luke Lindsay who lives in Australia, we managed to solve the hiccup problem. This simple mod now installed in SL motherboards since late 2014 makes the later produced SL much easier to ground balance without hurting the noise reduction. (Earlier SL's could benefit from these "hiccup" mods also).

I mention this because there is a guy who just may be doing the TDI and SL mods in the future. I will mention more when the time is right. Hopefully, that will be soon.

Reg

Re: TDI and TDI Pro
Posted by: roadapple
Date: October 22, 2017 12:24PM
Reg, You have been involved with the TDI from the beginning of its conception. I know you see the mods as an improvement to the unit ......but in the use of the first TDI did you feel the unit worked as a peak machine to find gold ? I have two original TDI machines now with no added mods and just want to keep them original as manufactured. What is your opinion?

Thanks Reg
Posted by: therover
Date: October 23, 2017 06:07AM
It's always great to see you posting here.

Date: October 25, 2017 09:14AM
Roadapple

I would leave the original TDI's original. I am assuming you are talking about you have two of the original through the hole models.

Reg

Posted by: markg
Date: October 25, 2017 01:04PM
Really enjoy each time you post Reg...:clapping:

Posted by: pasttom
Date: November 22, 2017 02:36AM
I thought the hole units (first 200 produced) could NOT be modded?

Pastor Tom
7 Minelabs, 3 Makros and a few others - rebuilding inventory
under the watchful eyes of my Welsh Corgi Sadie

Date: November 22, 2017 10:16AM
Technically, the "the through the hole" TDI's can be modified but when the question was asked before I knew no one doing them on that model. So, I answered the way I did.

Reg

Posted by: Mega
Date: November 22, 2017 11:47AM
Some great information,i own what was the last TDI pro that came into the UK before the battery transport problem stopped production,it due too come out of warranty at christmas time and although its a beast as it currently is,was wondering can the performance be pushed even further with some 'reliable' internal mods or not advisable ??

Many thanks

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Some of my site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Posted by: filternozzle
Date: November 22, 2017 02:04PM
Mega
Some great information,i own what was the last TDI pro that came into the UK before the battery transport problem stopped production,it due too come out of warranty at christmas time and although its a beast as it currently is,was wondering can the performance be pushed even further with some 'reliable' internal mods or not advisable ??

Many thanks

In my opinion that would be a definite 'Not advisable'..

Happy Hunting
Minelab GPX-5000 - Backup GPX-4500 with a very large selection of coils.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login