Findmall.com

Peoria Area Treasure Hunters Club (PATH IL)

Welcome! Log In Register
3:surprised: COINS FROM THE 40'S
Posted by: SWAMP HAWK
Date: February 14, 2012 03:13PM
the snow melted and I thought I would go out for a bit and try to find a few coins. first hit of the hunt was a 1945 wheat. then I found two 1942 nickels . thought it was funny that even though I found them 100 feet apart they were oddly the same year. Its not that cold out today. So did anyone else go out beeping today???:detecting:

-SWAMPHAWK

d i g i n t h e d a r k

Re: 3:surprised: COINS FROM THE 40'S
Posted by: geodehunter
Date: February 14, 2012 04:18PM
Congrats on today's finds. :cheers: Still a little cold for me to go out. We have rain in the forecast for tomorrow. :ranting:

Hunt hard & Hunt safe!!!
Peoria Area Treasure Hunters
Robbie, Hamilton,Il
Minelab E-Trac, Whites TRX Pin-Pointer
Sun Ray Pro-Gold Headphones, Lesche
RNB Innovations 3100mah Battery

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 04:19PM by geodehunter.

Posted by: flinthunter
Date: February 14, 2012 04:34PM
Sounds like a good hunt. Congrats on the 40's coins. I have to ask, were the 42 nickels silver or nickel composition?

Posted by: Nancy-IL
Date: February 14, 2012 07:17PM
Great finds today. Are they war nickels? Do they have a mint mark on the back? If so, they're part silver. I love to see nickels coming out of the ground. HH, Nancy

Nancy - Central Illinois
Am I getting rich? No, just having fun!

*Peoria Area Treasure Hunters: Member since 2000.
President 2013, 2014
Secretary 2010, 2011, 2012.
Vice President 9 years.

*Crime Scene Investigation Technology Instructor (International Assoc. for Identification)

*12 plus yrs. White's MXT w/DX-1 Pinpointer-SunRay Pro Gold Headphones-Arsenal of coils
* Minelab E-trac as of Aug. 2014

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: February 14, 2012 07:25PM
1942 nickels were both nickel and mid-year went to 40% silver. If it has a mint mark above the dome on the back, they are silver nickels. Either kind are nice finds.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i

Posted by: SWAMP HAWK
Date: February 14, 2012 11:34PM
well everyone both of the nickels came out of the ground looking odd. the shade and color . well after I had splashed some water on them they kind of turned blue. weird right. I mean I am color blind but that's what they looked like to me. both are worn so i couldn't tell the mint mark. Still a good day for what day it is. thanks for the comments!!! They say it'll be raining tomorrow. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . but if you see breaks in that rain....... ill be in the dirt! like always diginthedark!!!-swamphawk:starwars:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login