Findmall.com

Garrett AT Pro & AT Gold Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Garrett AT Pro coil problems..
Posted by: Willee
Date: February 05, 2011 08:42AM
TellYaWhut
I wonder how the At-Pro will perform with other coils, when available??

There are three coils on the Garrett web page now.

Wonder how that 9 X 12 will do on relics.
Will be watching for reports on them.

Think SunRay will jump in there with a bad boy?

Willee

Date: February 05, 2011 08:44AM
EZrider
Just an update. Since the guy was banned from this fourm. His AT pro did have a problem with the coil. Garrett replaced it and it seems to be working fine. There are who is having this problem. There are people who have this problem and think it normal. If your machine is falsing by bumping the ground then send it in.

Willy got banned?
Sorry to hear that.

Willee

Posted by: SteveP(NH)
Date: February 05, 2011 09:37AM
Woodchuck
I just can not believe people are still carrying on about this .I had a AT Pro and it worked just fine.Yes you shake the crap out of coil it will false .And so will alot of other detectors, so don't shake the crap out of it PERIOD.! Better yet don't buy the detector if your going to knit pick it. IMHO I liked mine and it worked fine, I moved on from from AT Pro to something really different.If you were to give me a At Pro I would take it.So send your perfectly good AT Pro to me , I will give it the home it deserves LOL.

Believe it or not just because yours works ok, doesn't mean every AT PRO made also works the way it was designed to. I had a falsing problem with the original AT PRO I had, and it had absolutely nothing to do with shaking the machine. It would false if I gently touched it to the ground, or if I lightly scrubbed it against some sand. I asked Garrett if it this was normal behavior for it and they sent UPS to pick it up and take it back to them for examination. Their senior tech checked it out and found that both the coil and the control box had issues that caused it to false and they replaced the entire machine and coil with new ones.

So belittling folks whose machines may have real problems isn't a helpful or very friendly approach to take on a forum such as this one.

You misunderstood my post....
Posted by: bearkat4160
Date: February 05, 2011 12:14PM
I shook my GTI 2500 with the new DD coil because EVERYONE ELSE is shaking their AT Pro and complaining abou it! And complaining that Garrett has a bad coil!

Well I did the shake on my 2500 with the new coil to prove it is not a bad coil or faulty design!

I think that as clear in my post....why eles would I shake it like that? I have never shakin it like that the whole time I have owned my 2500, since 1999.

Just a test for the AT complainers is all it was Willee...

Alan

Minelab GPX 5000, Garrett ATX, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Bug II, Garrett GTI 2500, Infinium LS, Ace 250, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT Gold.

Re: You misunderstood my post....
Date: February 05, 2011 01:07PM
bearkat4160
I shook my GTI 2500 with the new DD coil because EVERYONE ELSE is shaking their AT Pro and complaining abou it! And complaining that Garrett has a bad coil!

Well I did the shake on my 2500 with the new coil to prove it is not a bad coil or faulty design!

I think that as clear in my post....why eles would I shake it like that? I have never shakin it like that the whole time I have owned my 2500, since 1999.

Just a test for the AT complainers is all it was Willee...

Alan

Understood Alan.

I tried the shake test on the Fisher F-5 SE and found it does it just like the At Pro.
Same with the CZ-5 ...
The E-Trac dont do it ... good thing ... it is all I will have to hunt with after I send the rest back for coil repair.

Willee

Posted by: Fishers Ghost
Date: February 05, 2011 04:43PM
I am not knocking the detector, it is a ball biting machine, it is simply that a lot of people who have used other metal detectors have commented about the AT Pro coil, so I am simply trying to figure out if there is a problem or not before I spend my money.

The only detectors that I have that will false when the coil is shaken or turned in the air rapidly have been PI machines, PI detectors are sensitive to the earths magnetic field direction and will often (not always) false when the machine is moved quickly through North to South or visa versa.

I can shake the crap out of my Lobo ST at max boost sens and and my Sov with the 15 inch wot coil and they do not false.
I have used many detectors over the years (38 in tot) and do not recall any that falsed when the coil was shaken or maybe not enough for me to have noticed. Most will false when the coil is bumped sharply against a rock or other solid object.

As a detector the AT Pro seems to be a lot of machine for the dollar and I would like to have one, but as I said , I need to know that there are no issues with the stock coil.

Posted by: topman13
Date: February 05, 2011 06:10PM
I tried the old shake on my AT PRO today and ye it went barmy,but it wasn't falsing in normal conditions.

Posted by: marcomo
Date: February 06, 2011 01:29AM
Fishers Ghost
I am not knocking the detector, it is a ball biting machine, it is simply that a lot of people who have used other metal detectors have commented about the AT Pro coil, so I am simply trying to figure out if there is a problem or not before I spend my money.

The only detectors that I have that will false when the coil is shaken or turned in the air rapidly have been PI machines, PI detectors are sensitive to the earths magnetic field direction and will often (not always) false when the machine is moved quickly through North to South or visa versa.

I can shake the crap out of my Lobo ST at max boost sens and and my Sov with the 15 inch wot coil and they do not false.
I have used many detectors over the years (38 in tot) and do not recall any that falsed when the coil was shaken or maybe not enough for me to have noticed. Most will false when the coil is bumped sharply against a rock or other solid object.

As a detector the AT Pro seems to be a lot of machine for the dollar and I would like to have one, but as I said , I need to know that there are no issues with the stock coil.

I spoke at length today with a veteran detectorist that I consider skilled and knowledgeable. He bought an ATPro and had the oft-mentioned coil problem.

After returning the detector to Garrett on their dime, his problem has been solved with NO loss of sensitivity.

Garrett has a long history of excellent customer service and quick turnaround time on repairs. If I bought an ATPro, I would have confidence in Garrett to make it right if there was any problem at all.

Posted by: Caretaker me
Date: February 06, 2011 12:30PM
so what are you guys trying to say

Posted by: Welwood470
Date: February 06, 2011 01:16PM
"After returning the detector to Garrett on their dime, his problem has been solved with NO loss of sensitivity."

Do you know if your friend knows the nature/cause of the problem? Of all the people I have read about that have returned
their machines and received them back with the problem "solved", one would think someone might have an idea of what
was actually done to eliminate the problem. I was also told by Garrett the wiggly falsing issue is normal. If that be true
why/how did they fix something that wasn't broke?

Posted by: gmanlight
Date: February 06, 2011 01:38PM
If its the same person i have talked to ,he said Garrett did not specify what that was fixed
but did say thy fixed it.:shrug:

Amen, Brother. You hit the head of the nail with that comment.N/T
Posted by: sandnsea49
Date: February 06, 2011 05:08PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.