Findmall.com

Garrett AT Pro & AT Gold Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
AT coil suggestions?
Posted by: darrenb
Date: February 25, 2012 11:27PM
Well, I have decided to sell my Ace350 to buy a few more goodies for AT Pro. Now I have the problem of figuring out what I want to purchase. I want a smaller coil, but can't decide between the sniper coil or the 5x8. Most of the areas that I hunt are not overly trashy, but I have had a few occasions where I had a hard time picking a good target from between bad targets using the factory pro coil. I hunt parks from time to time, but I'm more of a soccer field kind of guy. So.... what do you guys suggest?
Thanks in advance!
Darren

AT Pro
5x8 coil
Propointer
Minelab Explorer xs
Tesoro Amigo II
Lesche

Re: AT coil suggestions?
Posted by: TheGeorgiaCanuck
Date: February 25, 2012 11:55PM
darrenb
Well, I have decided to sell my Ace350 to buy a few more goodies for AT Pro. Now I have the problem of figuring out what I want to purchase. I want a smaller coil, but can't decide between the sniper coil or the 5x8. Most of the areas that I hunt are not overly trashy, but I have had a few occasions where I had a hard time picking a good target from between bad targets using the factory pro coil. I hunt parks from time to time, but I'm more of a soccer field kind of guy. So.... what do you guys suggest?
Thanks in advance!
Darren

One thing to remember is....if your going smaller you have to cover alot more ground. That said, both the 5x8 and the hotshot coil have their uses. But I think you'd be better off with the 5x8. The hotshot is TINY....it's hockey puck sized.

I like the 5x8 in weedy areas and around bushes. It's easier to get into small places and the coil is far lighter than the 8x11. I have noticed that the large coil is easier to read when hitting rusty nails etc. Takes a bit of learning to get the 5x8 feeling as easy to not mistake a nail for a coin. The hotshot is great for working along fences, under playground equipment and bleachers. But I recommend the 5x8 if your wanting smaller.

Posted by: dirtweasel
Date: February 26, 2012 05:44AM
I like the 5x8. I think it's hard to beat. Get awesome depth and target seperation.

AT Pro, propointer, 5x8coil, lesche digger and Sampson T handle serrated, Ace250 backup machine. 2012- 14 silvers,12 indians,4 buff,50 wheats,1 Vnickel,1 lg cent and clad, 1 925 jewelry, 1 10k ring, 1 10ksterling ring

Date: February 26, 2012 07:32AM
That is what I was thinking, I just wanted to hear someone else agree with me! I have the sniper coil for my ace 250 and 350. It is a very useful coil, but like you say, it takes forever to cover a small patch of ground.
Thanks for the advice!
Darren

AT Pro
5x8 coil
Propointer
Minelab Explorer xs
Tesoro Amigo II
Lesche

Posted by: ba5online
Date: February 26, 2012 08:28AM
I own the ATPro with the 5X8. Does a great job.
But, when searching a big field, I need a larger 8.5X11 DD Coil in order to cover more ground.
I would suggest buying both DD coils (and an extra lower rod, cover and hardware) so you have all bases covered.
Texas Premium is my choice. HH!

Posted by: Big Boys Hobbies
Date: February 26, 2012 08:34AM
5X8 ... No question!!

Bart Davis
Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net
Findmall Sponsor BigBoysHobbies.net
Email, call or text for best deals. 405-206-9010
Minelab USA Partner of the year award 2012. Minelab customer service award 2012.
Authorized Minelab Metal Detectors Fisher Metal Detectors Whites Metal Detectors Teknetics Metal Detectors Garrett Metal Detectors XP Deus Dealer.

Date: February 26, 2012 12:10PM
Then a 5x8 it is! Anybody know of any of our sponsors that offer a package deal of a coil and a garrett backpack?

AT Pro
5x8 coil
Propointer
Minelab Explorer xs
Tesoro Amigo II
Lesche

Posted by: EtracTom-AdirondacksNY
Date: February 26, 2012 02:15PM
5x8 you won't regret it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login