Findmall.com

Fisher Gold Bug/Teknetics G2 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
I've tried reading posts, forgive me if this GB SE question has been answered...
Posted by: sgoss66
Date: February 15, 2011 03:23AM
Folks, I am CONFUSED, trying to understand the different versions during the new Gold Bug series progression, and the "silver" issue that existed with at least some of these Gold Bug/Gold Bug SE units.

Here's what I THINK I understand...

1. Version 1 Cabelas units (called "Gold Bug") had the gold problem. Newer Cabelas units may have version 2 or version 3 software.

2. SOME (ALL?) version 2.9 units NOT sold through Cabelas (called "Gold Bug SE") had the silver issue, but Fisher recalled them, and also allowed owners of these units to get upgrades which fixed the issue.

3. Version 3 units (called "Gold Bug Pro"), do NOT have the silver issue, they do well on both low and high conductors.

Please correct me if anything I just wrote is wrong.

Now, my questions are:

1. Did ALL of the original, version 2.9 Gold Bug SE units have the silver problem, and ALL required Fisher factory fixes?

2. When a person who owned a GB SE 2.9 version sent it in for a fix, did it still come back to them as a "fixed" version 2.9, or was the "fixed" unit then installed with version 3.0 software?

3. I occasionally see "new, in box" Gold Bug SE units still for sale, on FeeBay and the like. Since these are out of production, I assume at least SOME of these never were sent back in for the "silver fix," and thus might still NEED the "silver fix." Will Fisher still do a silver fix, even on a unit not under warranty, or is/was this a "warranty only" fix?

Thanks so much. I am thinking hard about adding a GB that would serve as both a second/backup coin unit, and also as a primary unit for me for occasional gold prospecting trips. So, since it only would see low usage, I really would like to avoid buying "new," and look for a bargain price on one somewhere. But, at the same time, I dont want to get a "bargain," only to find out that it needs the "silver fix" and that I can't get it done now -- thus leaving me stuck with a unit that would NOT be able to function as a backup coin-shooting unit (and thus get used only once every year or two in a gold prospecting application.)

Thanks so much in advance; I have read a jillion GB threads on many forums, and this is STILL not clear to me!

Steve

Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Fisher F19
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Re: I've tried reading posts, forgive me if this GB SE question has been answered...
Posted by: tabman
Date: February 15, 2011 05:08AM
Don't forget about Gold Bug Pro version 4.

Tesoro Tejon * Tesoro Outlaw * Fisher F75SE * Tesoro Compadre * Modded Tesoro Cibola * Tesoro Golden u-Max
Tesoro Bandido II u-Max * Tesoro Deleon * Garrett AT Pro * Teknetics G2 * Tesoro Vaquero * Killer B's Wasp Headphones

Re: I've tried reading posts, forgive me if this GB SE question has been answered...
Posted by: bfodnes
Date: February 15, 2011 12:45PM
I think it was Keith S who posted the silver issue and was very pleased with his when it came back, and then it was a 2.9 version.

Later he tried a G2 with 3.0 software and liked that one even better i think.

I have a 2.9 version myself and like it very much, however I do believe that the 3.0 version is further adjusted and even better. But that seem to be very very little and maybe not even visible to most users.

And whats the 4.0 version now, an early Aprils fool..

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: February 15, 2011 03:22PM
The 4.0 version is "legit".----My dealer sent an earlier GBSE in and it came back a 4.-----Don't ask me what the (changes) are though cause "I dunno"--my dealer didn''t know either.----Have to call up FT to find out I guess.

Date: February 16, 2011 12:28AM
Thanks guys, anyone else have any more info?

D&P-OR, do you know how long ago your dealer sent that thing in and it came back 4.0? That wasn't Richard at Backwoods, was it?

Steve

Garrett ProPointer AT

Norman, OK

Date: February 16, 2011 04:08AM
I posted the following in another GB thread in this forum; wanted to re-post here. This is my understanding at this point, which may be incorrect. If so, I'd love to hear what needs to be corrected so that I can properly understand...

"Cabelas" Gold Bug

Version 1 -- "silver issues." No manual ground balance?

Version 2 -- no "silver issues." Manual ground balance?

Version 3 -- no "silver issues" (these units are much like, or identical to, the Gold Bug "Pro" version 3 and 4??) Manual ground balance?

Gold Bug "SE"

Version 2.9 -- "silver issues" (older "version" than the Cabelas "Gold Bug" version 2.0??) Manual ground balance.

***Note -- at least SOME have been "fixed" by Fisher, with version 3 (and even version 4??) software installed? (Some other units "fixed," but still with 2.9 version software??)***

Gold Bug "Pro"

Version 3.0 -- no "silver issues." Manual ground balance.

Version 4.0 -- no "silver issues." Manual ground balance.

Can anyone verify or correct any of what I've just posted, which is currently the way I understand things?

Thanks!!

Steve

Garrett ProPointer AT

Norman, OK

2.9 vs 3 differences as I understand it from Keith
Posted by: Jackpine Savage
Date: February 16, 2011 05:32AM
is that the version 3 has the same or similar audio as the Tek G2 which is a modified vco/beep rather than the pure VCO audio found on the 2.9 version.

Tom

Date: February 16, 2011 05:46AM
Thanks Tom.

Is it fair for me to assume that this audio difference from the 2.9 to the 3.0 is IN ADDITION to the "silver fix" being included? Just trying to keep this all straight in my mind.

Thanks,

Steve

Garrett ProPointer AT

Norman, OK

Steve.........
Posted by: morelic55
Date: February 16, 2011 06:04AM
What it all boils down to is, just go to a nearest Tek/ Fisher dealer and have him order you a new one. I'm sure the latest version, fresh from the factory, will perform just as well as any of the older version. I have faith in FT that every update that they could make on them, is gonna be just as good, if not better than the last one. I have both the Gold Bug & G2 in my arsenal, and that's where they are gonna stay........MO

Diggin' In The Missouri Ozarks

Date: February 16, 2011 06:18AM
You would think that you could email Fisher and ask them what the differences are between all the different versions of Teknetics G2s and Fisher Gold Bugs and put all this to rest.

NOPE. I felt like I got the runaround when I called and asked what the differences are. I was told to email my question and they would get back with me.

Tesoro Tejon * Tesoro Outlaw * Fisher F75SE * Tesoro Compadre * Modded Tesoro Cibola * Tesoro Golden u-Max
Tesoro Bandido II u-Max * Tesoro Deleon * Garrett AT Pro * Teknetics G2 * Tesoro Vaquero * Killer B's Wasp Headphones

Date: February 16, 2011 07:38AM
Steve-----Yes, that was fairly recently--and yes, that was Richard.---The 4.0 version was stated in his ad.---It would make a great buy for someone (he may have already sold it by now though).-------Del

Date: February 16, 2011 07:49AM
Tabman-----I don't think there was different versions in the G2 (just the current version).------I'm not CERTAIN about this but the first G2's MAY have come on (turned on) as "Gold Bug"----the ones now come on as "G2".----I guess you COULD call that an version "upgrade" if that's the case.----Does anybody know about this?----I never had one of the earliest production G2's.---------Del

Date: February 16, 2011 08:01AM
D&P-OR
Tabman-----I don't think there was different versions in the G2 (just the current version).------I'm not CERTAIN about this but the first G2's MAY have come on (turned on) as "Gold Bug"----the ones now come on as "G2".----I guess you COULD call that an version "upgrade" if that's the case.----Does anybody know about this?----I never had one of the earliest production G2's.---------Del

We don't know anything for certain, because we are getting the runaround for some reason.

Date: February 16, 2011 08:06AM
D&P-OR
Steve-----Yes, that was fairly recently--and yes, that was Richard.---The 4.0 version was stated in his ad.---It would make a great buy for someone (he may have already sold it by now though).-------Del

:super:

Richard at Backwoods Detectors is a great person to do business with.

Del, yes, the first release of G2's scrolled out
Posted by: Monte
Date: February 16, 2011 08:29AM
'Gold Bug.'

I know the prototype I got did that, and I have a couple of dealer friends who ordered them in right when release was announced and they also got the 'Gold Bug' scroll. They sent them in and had that reprogrammed. I think they caught it pretty quick and dealers could correct the issue.

Monte

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login