Findmall.com

Fisher Gold Bug/Teknetics G2 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Using the G2 in light rain
Posted by: m/c Prospect'er
Date: February 05, 2012 06:10PM
I'm still on the fence sort'a speak about finding my first metal detector. There appears to be a lot of very nice detectors around but I've noticed that unless a person gets a surf/beach type detector, the control & display is not waterproof. My question is how much light rain can the G2 handle before it's circuitry fries? I live in the greater Seattle area, and if something can't withstand a little moisture now and then... it simply won't last. :rolleyes:

Thanks, and HH.

Arne J., Bothell, WA
Hopefully soon I'll buy the detector that best suits my needs.

Re: Using the G2 in light rain
Posted by: rockpup1
Date: February 05, 2012 07:15PM
Yeah I dont risk the heavy rain.Light rain and I use a zip lock baggy tape the crap out of it(gold bug pro) with clear packing tape and it stand up to moisture good but i have yet to use it in anything but a sprinkle.
The garrett At Pro is waterproof just a thought...

Date: February 05, 2012 08:41PM
rockpup1,
Thanks for the advice on the baggie technique. It just amazes me though that after all these years in refining MD's, that most manufacturers haven't accounted for rain. Heck, I still own an original working 30 year old HP41 calculator that resists rain. I can't see that by adding weather tight seals and o-rings could amount to that much extra manufacturing costs. :shrug:
The other metal detector you mentioned has a good reputation, but I'm in the market for something a bit more aggressive at finding gold... plus I really prefer the design style of the G2 . :smile:

edited for typo's.

Arne J., Bothell, WA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2012 08:44PM by m/c Prospect'er.

Posted by: Ken in Georgia
Date: February 05, 2012 09:11PM
I use the bag and hunt all day in light rain!!!

HH
Ken in Georgia

Detectors own DFX, Tejon, X-3, Cibola, Vaquero, Cortez, CZ-5, 1265x, 1266x, Siver Sabre II. ID Excel, Amigo, Golden, DeLe

Date: February 05, 2012 10:59PM
Ken in Georgia
I use the bag and hunt all day in light rain!!!

Thanks Ken. Shortly after creating this thread I found another thread, (just a couple below this one), which explains and provided a link to a nice USA made cover for the G2.
Now when my tax return arrives, I'll just have to make a flip-o'-coin decision between the G2 and another similar model. :confused:

Posted by: Ken in Georgia
Date: February 05, 2012 11:25PM
You will love it and good luck which ever you pick and Bart @ Big Boys Hobbys will hook you up. I love the G2 !!!!

HH
Ken in Georgia

Detectors own DFX, Tejon, X-3, Cibola, Vaquero, Cortez, CZ-5, 1265x, 1266x, Siver Sabre II. ID Excel, Amigo, Golden, DeLe

Date: February 06, 2012 11:47PM
Thanks again for the positive praise on the G2, and a good place to buy it from.

Arne J., Bothell, WA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login