Findmall.com

Fisher Gold Bug/Teknetics G2 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Sold my G2, and regretted it I much I had to buy another.
Posted by: silverman
Date: February 19, 2012 07:38AM
Why do I keep doing this. I talk myself into thinking there is something better in iron, and it is just not so. I think my partial hearing loss aggravated me because it doesn't sound off on silver like a Minelab, but it just can't be beat in iron. I'm just going to have to crank the volume way up, and find those goodies. I'm not a screen watcher, I like tones, but maybe I could try and watch the VID more. Take it from me, DON'T SELL YOUR G2's.

Re: Sold my G2, and regretted it I much I had to buy another.
Posted by: earthlypotluck
Date: February 19, 2012 08:44AM
Silverman, How does this unit sound off on silver? I have a great deal of hearing loss and this is one detector I am reviewing for possible purchase. Extreme high tones I can't hear clearly (some I can't hear at all / depending on pitch) so just wondering how this machine responds (in tone) towards high conductors. - Jim

Date: February 19, 2012 09:14AM
I have to be honest, at 6 inches and greater, I would have trouble hearing a dime. this was with the 5" I always had on in heavy trash. Others say they could hear a whisper at 8" with theirs, but i cant hear that well. Maybe it was just me and my poor ears, because I have some friends with hearing loss on this forum that find a ton on silver with the G2. It is an amazing machine, and I don't want to discourage you from getting one, but that was one problem I had due to my hearing loss. I'm just going to crank my Black Widows way up, and push on. I suggest looking into Black a widows as well. Nothing has helped me hear as well as they have. Best to you. I hope you give the G2 a shot.

Posted by: Hobbyist
Date: February 19, 2012 10:10AM
A few suggestions:

1) Try rigging an LED to the audio output. Instructions at http://www.easytreasure.co.uk/hoh.htm
2) Purchase a Vibra-phone 280. It'll vibrate when a target's hit.
3) A bone-conduction headphone (eg Aftershokz, Audiobone) may help those with damaged ear drums.

Date: February 19, 2012 10:49AM
Knowing what you do for an occupation, how can you hear the children? That is a huge problem for me (women and children due to the high pitch in their voices) (could be a good thing too lol) Have you ever been for a hearing test? I wear hearing aids for work as I need them. I work with the public all day long and I am asking lots of questions / interviewing so I need to have amplification or I would never hear them. ( let me clarify, I could hear them, I just couldn't understand their speech) If you don't have hearing aids, I highly suggest you get your hearing checked out (if you haven't done so) hearing aids can make a BIG difference. I was shocked when I started wearing them as I couldn't believe how much I had been missing. My other big problem is that I have tinnitus (constant ringing / orchestra of crickets in my ears) So not only do I have high pitch hearing loss, I have to hear OVER this constant ringing in the ears to hear the detectors audio. As you know, I run the Sov GT and the high pitch sound of a silver coin doesn't sound clear and I know I am not hearing the FULL sound of it. It almost sounds a little "muffled" to me. I am going to look around and see if I can locate some videos of the G2 and listen to the audio. This G2 sounds like a great complementing machine for the GT. ( quick resetting / faster moving machine / and excellent in dicphering good signals in iron.

Now, if they could only make a GS2.... two frequencies (switchable) either to hunt like in 2 or 5 khz or 19khz would be a nice little all-around machine.

silverman
I have to be honest, at 6 inches and greater, I would have trouble hearing a dime. this was with the 5" I always had on in heavy trash. Others say they could hear a whisper at 8" with theirs, but i cant hear that well. Maybe it was just me and my poor ears, because I have some friends with hearing loss on this forum that find a ton on silver with the G2. It is an amazing machine, and I don't want to discourage you from getting one, but that was one problem I had due to my hearing loss. I'm just going to crank my Black Widows way up, and push on. I suggest looking into Black a widows as well. Nothing has helped me hear as well as they have. Best to you. I hope you give the G2 a shot.

Date: February 19, 2012 12:42PM
Thanks for the great ideas Hobbyist!

Earthlypotluck, it is a struggle at times. They just know I have hearing loss, and speak loudly enough to accommodate me. It doesn't hamper my teaching at all, I just work through it. I have been tested, and quite honestly I am embarrassed about potentially wearing hearing aids. I know it's ridiculous, but I would be self conscious about it. I know one of these days I will be at the point where I have no choice.

Date: February 19, 2012 04:00PM
Silverman,

I completely understand what you are saying about being "self-conscious" and "embarrassed" about wearing them. I clearly went through that phase myself. However, the hearing aids made a world of difference for me in hearing. Now I can freely talk about it, wear them at work, home, around friends etc People around me are more supportive and understanding then I would of ever dreamed. I have never been "made fun of" and have never heard one negative comment about me wearing them from anyone. People actually have more of an understanding once they see them. I hope you reconsider. You will be happy that you did. Best of luck to you and happy hunting - Jim

silverman
Thanks for the great ideas Hobbyist!

Earthlypotluck, it is a struggle at times. They just know I have hearing loss, and speak loudly enough to accommodate me. It doesn't hamper my teaching at all, I just work through it. I have been tested, and quite honestly I am embarrassed about potentially wearing hearing aids. I know it's ridiculous, but I would be self conscious about it. I know one of these days I will be at the point where I have no choice.

Date: February 19, 2012 04:10PM
Thank you Jim, same to you.

Posted by: Ken in Georgia
Date: February 19, 2012 05:34PM
A good set of phones would help you out. Sunrays, Killer Bee's, ect... Sorry you sold yours.

HH
Ken in Georgia

Detectors own DFX, Tejon, X-3, Cibola, Vaquero, Cortez, CZ-5, 1265x, 1266x, Siver Sabre II. ID Excel, Amigo, Golden, DeLe

Date: February 19, 2012 05:45PM
I use Black Widows. Those have helped more than anything. I did get another G2, just regretted selling my first one.
Thanks.

Posted by: parrott
Date: February 19, 2012 11:22PM
I have a big-time hearing loss... nerve damage. I do not mind wearing hearing aids. Instead of a head set, if the area is quiet and I'm out alone (nugget shooting) I just use my hearing aids. I also have a bad right hip and knee, so I use a walker which slows me down considerably. My detector is not a G2; but it is the Gold Bug Pro and I use the 5-inch 'sniper' DD.

I believe the only difference between my Gold bug Pro and the G2 is wand and Control Box setup, the software is the same?... :detecting:Keep swinging... js

Date: February 20, 2012 05:37AM
I hear the same thing parrot. I hear there is no difference except the wand and control box setup. Never used a Gold Bug, but have knowledgeable friends that have taken the control box apart, and they told me it was exactly the same. Guess you can't go wrong with either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 05:37AM by silverman.

Posted by: Smudge
Date: February 20, 2012 09:22AM
The only other difference is the handle on the shaft.

They are designed a little differently.

Besides that, if you put the G2 and and the Gold Bug DP side by side, you would hardly know which was which except for the logo.

De-activated at members request

Posted by: Ray(Ca)
Date: February 20, 2012 09:57PM
Hey Brian

I had a T2 and then tried the G2. I found the G2 to fit my style of relic hunting better than the T2. It's good that you now have a G2 and I'm pretty sure you may keep this one a little longer than your first one!

Ray

Hunting for deep "Silver" is my passion.

Date: February 21, 2012 04:43AM
Thanks Smudge, that's exactly what I heard as well.

Hey Ray, I guarantee this one will stay for a while. Tried the rest, I'll keep the G2.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login