Findmall.com

Fisher Gold Bug/Teknetics G2 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
G2 in salt water
Posted by: sdesic
Date: October 18, 2015 11:05AM
I know that G2 is not made for detecting in salt water but...
today I tried to detect salt lake...
I got near got 35 on ground balance, tried detecting but every time I moved coil close
to water it sounded as a signal, then I tried ground balance of water part got 1 or 2...
nothing better sounding every time I change enviroment with coil.
Tried two bindings for coil cable ... same.

Then I walked into 15 cm of water and shot this video
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoACjyVPu1A

Did GG and I got 4. It was over no metal ... but G2 showed on speedometer that there is...
You can listen in full volume - I had headphones on - can't use G2 without them... it is loud.

Please look and coment.

Re: G2 in salt water
Posted by: Dave J.
Date: October 18, 2015 11:22AM
As you say, the G2 is not designed for salt water work.

The G2 (and many of our other single-frequency metal detectors) can balance out the pebbles, or the salt water, but not both at the same time. Multiple frequency machines can play that game, that's why people buy 'em for salt water work.

On clean white sand beaches with no iron mineralization (for example many tropical beaches are coral sand), single-frequency machines with ground balance all the way to salt often deliver a respectable performance in the wet stuff.

Date: October 18, 2015 11:38AM
Thank you Dave!

So my PI (surf pi pro - homemade (based on white's surfmaster))
will outperform G2 and most other VLF detectors in these conditions.

I dig every signal so discrimination is not a problem ... for this case

On dry pebbles or partly dry G2 can find gold better (deeper - and smaller)

Posted by: amberjack
Date: October 18, 2015 05:22PM
yep if the PI is made for the salt or has a pulse control its going to kick a single freq machines but all day every day by a long way in the salt :biggrin:

AJ

Posted by: machineman
Date: October 19, 2015 10:45PM
I run my GBP on the beach here in Ca. It works ok in dry, damp, and sometimes wet. But not in soaked or under water. I noticed your sensitiv

Posted by: machineman
Date: October 19, 2015 10:49PM
I run my GBP on the beach here in Ca. It works ok in dry, damp, and sometimes wet. But not in soaked or under water. I noticed your sensitivity was way up. I run mine in all metal and then crank down the sensitivity until it will run relatively smooth. Then I dig everything. Not as good as the Sovereign or Infinium I had but it works for the few times a year I see a beach.

Date: October 19, 2015 11:31PM
I have no problem with wet and dry beach / lake bed.
Sensitivity can be @ 100 ... only if I have problem with EMI than it is about 80

Posted by: pasttom
Date: October 30, 2015 12:38PM
Salt and mineralization usually drive GB and SENS down to reach usable stability. A user who knows how to read and adjust their levels is the only way to find best working settings. I believe there are exceptions to virtually every rule.
:detecting:

Pastor Tom
7 Minelabs, 3 Makros and a few others - rebuilding inventory
under the watchful eyes of my Welsh Corgi Sadie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login