Findmall.com

Fisher Gold Bug/Teknetics G2 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
New G2+ owner
Posted by: quicksilver
Date: May 11, 2017 09:47PM
Added a brand new G2+ to my arsenal of machines for civil war relic hunting. Any suggestions on settings would be appreciated. Thanks all..

T2SE, G2+, Mxt All Pro, A.T. Pro, A.T. Gold, TRX pinpointer, Garrett A.T. pinpointer, and a lot of determination......

Re: New G2+ owner
Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: May 11, 2017 10:03PM
Congrats on the purchase of a great detector.

Posted by: dfmike
Date: May 12, 2017 08:27PM
I don't do much relic hunting with mine but I do appreciate all its options and use them all. Volume settings influence iron audio so if you don't want to hear iron sounds (0-40 on the G2+), set it at 10. Anything above will give full volume to anything non ferrous and raise your iron audio incrementally. I use V-Break and Notching too. I particularly like the fact that the notch can be tiny or large. One could use it to only notch out modern pull tabs for example by notching out a range of 2-3 numbers instead of notching out the whole pull tab section like a lot of other machines. On my machine if I make a 2 number notch and push it to 58 (canceling out 58-59), modern pull tabs are gone. If you don't want to hunt for iron relics for example you could either set your volume level at 10 (zero iron) or 11-12 to barely hear the iron and or use V-Break to assign a lower ferrous grunt to the small foil range just above 40 taking out small bits of aluminum slaw if your area has modern trash.

I use mine at max sensitivity almost all the time. In 2 years of ownership I only encountered EMI problems once and I had to lower sensitivity to about 40 in that particular area. That's very unusual with this machine. It's the most stable machine I've ever used. Recovery speed is awesome. I really appreciate the big numbers on the VDI. I only wish it had more tones at times especially when I want to cherry pick silver coins and jewelry. Congrats on your purchase. Be patient while you learn it and I think you will appreciate what it can do.

Active detectors: Fisher F19 LTD, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer and way too many coils.
Previous detectors: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705, Fisher F5

Date: May 13, 2017 05:08AM
Thanks dfmike, that is a very helpful post. Thanks for taking the time.

T2SE, G2+, Mxt All Pro, A.T. Pro, A.T. Gold, TRX pinpointer, Garrett A.T. pinpointer, and a lot of determination......

Date: May 13, 2017 05:02PM
My pleasure. Let us know how it works out for you.

Active detectors: Fisher F19 LTD, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer and way too many coils.
Previous detectors: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705, Fisher F5

Posted by: woody
Date: May 13, 2017 08:17PM
99% of my hunting is relic. I find that vol. @ 11, Disc. @ 0, and V-break at 39 does well for me. The soil here is mild and the digging is easy. Hope you enjoy the G2 as much as I enjoy mine. Light weight, big screen, well balanced and electronics that does what it's supposed to do.

Date: May 13, 2017 10:15PM
Thanks Woody. Appreciate the info. My friend does real well with his and loves it. I'm sure I will also. I'll be posting in the civil war forum tomorrow night. Thanks you guys..

Posted by: rebel pride
Date: May 17, 2017 03:22PM
The G2+ is a great relic machine. I live very close to some big power lines and this is the only detector I can use in my yard due to EMI.

Posted by: jak135
Date: May 18, 2017 03:44PM
Love the G2+. Getting so I use it more than my F75LTD. Super fast processing.

For non-iron hunting, I set the V-break at 37 and vol at 11 so I can hear the iron sound.
I dig anything with higher tone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2017 03:47PM by jak135.

Date: May 18, 2017 06:21PM
Might sound like a silly question but I read a lot of posts from people with a G2+ and/or F19 that use V-Break at the limits of iron on these machines (35-40) instead of setting volume at 10 to kill the iron grunt completely. Most people don't want iron targets so what can one gain by using V-Break instead of just muting the iron target sounds altogether ?

Date: May 20, 2017 04:40PM
With the V-Break you can set the point where you want the iron grunt to start. If you set it at 35, only VDI of <=35 will give an iron grunt. Those >35 will hit has non-ferrous (high tone).
You get to define at what level is "iron". I like to set it below VDI 40 because when the coil hit iron and good target at the same time, they can be averaged, bringing down the non-ferrous VDI.
EX: A good target of VDI 45 (small gold coin) laying next to a nail (VDI 15) may produce a VDI of 37.

I get interested in VDI's greater than 35, so I want them to produce a high tone to alert me.

From manual:
V-Break (Change audio for certain targets)
V-Break is a feature that allows the user to change the audio response of certain targets. V-Break allows the user to program the detector so that any target with an ID in the range of 0 - 80 can induce a LOW tone. Examples: The user sets V-Break to a desired setting (e.g. 42). Every target with ID less than or equal to 42 induces a low tone. The audio response of targets with IDs greater than 42 are not changed. VBreak can be set only for Target-IDs that have not previously been rejected using the discrimination or notch functions.

By listening to iron grunts at Vol. 11, it tells me to slow down and pay attention. I like to hear what I am over. Also, older detectors used to null over iron, so iron is a good place to hunt for sites that have been hunted hard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2017 04:48PM by jak135.

Date: May 21, 2017 04:22PM
jak135 thanks a lot. I was under the assumption that the F19/G2+ would automatically give a low tone grunt to anything from 0-40 no matter how the detector was set up (except for volume 10 which of course makes the 0-40 range totally quiet). So basically I could set v-break at 25 and then everything above 25 would have a non ferrous high tone ? Interesting. So that v-break can be a boon or a double edged sword. I set mine quite high at times but now a I realize I might be missing interesting targets in trash. The manual does not implicitly mention that setting the v-break lower than 40 will give a non ferrous tone to those numbers that usually fall in the iron range on this machine.

Date: May 21, 2017 05:14PM
dfmike-

You are correct. The manual does NOT implicitly mention that.

When I set the v-break at 20, and pass square iron nails (VDI 25-29) over the coil, the sound they make isn't exactly the same as a dime. But it's not an iron grunt either.
I'm still experimenting with different setups and targets (alone & combined) trying to fully understand what the G2+ is really doing.

Date: May 22, 2017 06:37PM
Just tried it here at home on an iron target on the ground that reads 24 and lo and behold I set the v-break at 20 and that small steel blade now behaves like a non ferrous target. Information like this is why I like dedicated forums so much. It's like finding an extended manual for such and such detector.

I went on a short hunt today and found one of the most perfect square nail I have dug up so far but it was in the 70's range if I recall. Rust makes everything creep up the target range drastically. The square nails you find at 25-29 must have very little oxidation on them and/or are very small I gather. I found it at 7" with a 5 X 10 coil.

Posted by: Digger70pa
Date: June 04, 2017 09:25PM
It's a good relic machine.

From The Great Appalachian Valley F19 T2se G2 BIG BOX TDI CZ-3D XLT Pro pointer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login