Findmall.com

Fisher Gold Bug/Teknetics G2 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: What are you missing on the surface!
Posted by: TheHunterGT
Date: June 03, 2017 10:27AM
dfmike
I'm definitely more of a newbie compared to you guys when it comes to understanding separation, unmasking, etc. but what I seem to get from the conversation is that if I hunt in a ferrous junkyard for silver coins for example I should lower the v-break instead of setting it high to better unmask the coins ? I usually set my v-break at 60 or more in trashy environments where the recent junk is higher than the underlying old coins. Those old coins never hit at below 70 on my F19 anyway and at that low number it's old copper coins. The silver coins have a much higher numerical value. Am I missing potential silver coins by setting my v-break that high in a typical trashy park or schoolyard ? Thanks.

A detector will almost always unmask/separate better with zero disc - zero notch - zero vbreak. It's basically how much your brain can handle hearing all the trash. With the F19 being a 2 tone only (low and VCO)...a user is sort of forced to rely on the vbreak or disc. And the 0-99 ID of course.

To answer your question, I don't think you are losing much performance on the F19 by running it like that if you are JUST searching for silver/copper. He was running a multi-conductor test with that high vbreak which I would not do if actually looking for the full range of coins on the conductivity scale.

I usually only hunt silver/copper as well...so there is really no reason to listen to the trash as the vbreak works very well in that scenario. I personally cannot stand hearing trash and iron so I usually run the F19 with volume 10...zero disc...vbreak to 55...notch from 60-79. If not hunting nickels I raise it all the way to 80. If I think there is a chance for a IHP...I lower it to 65.

My wife can run her F19 at volume 10 (no iron) and zero disc/vbreak/notch. It's bonkers to me....but she digs everything usually unless we are doing a coin challenge for a video or whatever. Off camera days she digs a crap load of trash.

Some detectors have a sweet spot you can learn where at X disc it will unmask better (F75 and F70 at 6 I think it is). Or at sensitivity X to X you have a boost type range. (T2 Classic 50-59 for example). But thats another topic I guess...

Posted by: amberjack
Date: June 03, 2017 10:59AM
there is no right or wrong way to detect or no best detector there are different detecting environments and differing ways of hunting them experiment on your sites with your detectors and have fun learning as we all do :biggrin:
if someone says your doing it wrong they are wrong no one has my brain and that is at the end of the day what we use to detect with, metal detectors are tools and we all use them differently that's why there isn't one detector with one setting :buds:

AJ

Posted by: Dave J.
Date: June 03, 2017 12:41PM
amberjack
there is no right or wrong way to detect or no best detector there are different detecting environments and differing ways of hunting them experiment on your sites with your detectors and have fun learning as we all do :biggrin:
if someone says your doing it wrong they are wrong no one has my brain and that is at the end of the day what we use to detect with, metal detectors are tools and we all use them differently that's why there isn't one detector with one setting :buds:

AJ

Well spake, ajack.

One of the most common anecdotes we see on the forums goes like this: "There's this site I've pounded to death and it hardly produces anything any more. Well, I got this other detector, make and model __________ [fill in the blanks with whatever you like] and the first time out I found stuff I've walked right over a hundred times! Wow, what a detector!"

Nope. It doesn't matter what detector. Go out there with a BH Junior and it'll happen. You were stuck in a rut and got everything that can be gotten that particular way. Now you're doing something different and you're finding the stuff that couldn't be found the way you had been doing it.

And it doesn't even require a new detector. Just try using the one you've got differently. Not just machine settings, but the way you swing the searchcoil, where on the site you concentrate your effort, and how you decide to dig or not dig.

Posted by: dfmike
Date: June 03, 2017 06:12PM
TheHunterGT

I usually only hunt silver/copper as well...so there is really no reason to listen to the trash as the vbreak works very well in that scenario. I personally cannot stand hearing trash and iron so I usually run the F19 with volume 10...zero disc...vbreak to 55...notch from 60-79. If not hunting nickels I raise it all the way to 80. If I think there is a chance for a IHP...I lower it to 65.

My wife can run her F19 at volume 10 (no iron) and zero disc/vbreak/notch. It's bonkers to me....but she digs everything usually unless we are doing a coin challenge for a video or whatever. Off camera days she digs a crap load of trash.

Thanks for the response. That's the way I usually hunt myself, v-break moderately high but no notch and volume at 10 to mute ferrous target noise. I hunt like your wife when I'm on the beach and I dig everything non ferrous.

Date: June 03, 2017 06:39PM
Dave J.
amberjack

AJ

Well spake, ajack.

One of the most common anecdotes we see on the forums goes like this: "There's this site I've pounded to death and it hardly produces anything any more. Well, I got this other detector, make and model __________ [fill in the blanks with whatever you like] and the first time out I found stuff I've walked right over a hundred times! Wow, what a detector!"

Nope. It doesn't matter what detector. Go out there with a BH Junior and it'll happen. You were stuck in a rut and got everything that can be gotten that particular way. Now you're doing something different and you're finding the stuff that couldn't be found the way you had been doing it.

And it doesn't even require a new detector. Just try using the one you've got differently. Not just machine settings, but the way you swing the searchcoil, where on the site you concentrate your effort, and how you decide to dig or not dig.

it is interesting Dave the psychology of detecting..

I bet if I turned on the gps and followed my detect pattern on the same site I would follow the same path within 80% even when trying not too its how we are and humans don't like braking patterns even if they are destructive , we don't have to look far to see that..

even my gait affects my finds and that would be near impossible to change..

so yes its a challenge to change those things that are DNA in us as humans..

not getting to over technical on that side of it I guess :lmfao:

but using a setting I would never use is a great place to start like if I am a flat out hunter turn the gain down to 50% and just see what happens some maybe surprised at what just doing that can result in :biggrin:

it is interesting and thanks for your thoughts and everyone else's also I learn from everyone..

AJ

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2017 06:41PM by amberjack.

Posted by: hairymonsterman
Date: June 04, 2017 05:38AM
Another F19 user said he ran settings, volume 11, v-break 40, and didn't think he was missing much, i tried it but felt it was too restrictive for me personally.
This video shows how i prefer to run mine (compared to the other guys settings) as i want to squeeze as much out from a hunt as i can, i know it may not suit everyone but you can see how easy it would be to miss targets.
https://youtu.be/pHUmIPNFp1k

Posted by: markg
Date: June 04, 2017 07:13AM
Date: June 04, 2017 10:23AM
I saw the young youtube girl with an ad on that site for at max the world is changing isn't it youtube stars get detector deals :biggrin: and no I have never watched any of her videos :punch:

and yeah do what you don't usually do try it not as easy as it sounds...

AJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2017 10:24AM by amberjack.

Posted by: TheHunterGT
Date: June 04, 2017 01:23PM
Here I was thinking we were talking about the F19 and Rutus and how they perform in those specific test videos.

This thread sure took a philosophical turn lol :beers:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login