Findmall.com

Minelab SD, GP, & GPX Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
15" Ultimate Spiral DD Coil
Posted by: jimmie
Date: August 17, 2017 08:55AM
Anyone using the 15" Ultimate Spiral DD Coil coil for civil war relics? I am using the 15 x 12 Commander DD factory coil now and have read by one person that the 15" Spiral Coil rejects iron better than the factory coil ??

Re: 15" Ultimate Spiral DD Coil
Posted by: filternozzle
Date: August 17, 2017 12:24PM
jimmie
Anyone using the 15" Ultimate Spiral DD Coil coil for civil war relics? I am using the 15 x 12 Commander DD factory coil now and have read by one person that the 15" Spiral Coil rejects iron better than the factory coil ??

I detect in the UK for coins and artefacts in quite mild soil. I have the 15" Spiral DD, it is a decent coil but on the heavy size when compared to other coils of similar size. I cant say I found it any better at rejecting iron than the stock coil, if anything, marginally not so good. However, this may be down to using different soil timings, I haven't carried out a direct head to head comparison. The other point to keep in mind is generally the larger the DD coil the deeper it will discriminate.

Happy Hunting
Minelab GPX-5000 - Backup GPX-4500 with a very large selection of coils.

Posted by: Tony
Date: September 25, 2017 08:33PM
Great coil.......this is my goto coil unless in tight areas with loads of rocks and bushes. Very sensitive and punches deep !

Tony

Posted by: Marc in Va
Date: October 20, 2017 06:55AM
Me and my 2 hunting buddies all use this coil relic hunting and love it. My observations are that I do seem to dig a few more nails but that is far outweighed by the extra depth I am getting. Another observation is that this coil seems to be more stable. In head to head comparison my buddies 15" Ultimate Spiral DD hit stronger on super deep bullets than my Minelab 18"DD. I bought the 15" Ultimate Spiral DD the next day!

Date: October 28, 2017 03:10PM
Marc in Va
Me and my 2 hunting buddies all use this coil relic hunting and love it. My observations are that I do seem to dig a few more nails but that is far outweighed by the extra depth I am getting. Another observation is that this coil seems to be more stable. In head to head comparison my buddies 15" Ultimate Spiral DD hit stronger on super deep bullets than my Minelab 18"DD. I bought the 15" Ultimate Spiral DD the next day!

Interesting that you have found the 15" Ultimate Spiral hits stronger than the 18"DD Commander coil on deep bullets. Just because it hits harder doesn't mean to say it will go deeper though. I will be out with the GPX within the next 24hrs and will do a head to head with these two coils. The targets I am looking for are small thin hammered silver pennies which are low conductors. I'll post my findings on which comes out best on actual depth in the ground.

Happy Hunting

Date: November 01, 2017 06:53AM
filternozzle
Marc in Va

Interesting that you have found the 15" Ultimate Spiral hits stronger than the 18"DD Commander coil on deep bullets. Just because it hits harder doesn't mean to say it will go deeper though. I will be out with the GPX within the next 24hrs and will do a head to head with these two coils. The targets I am looking for are small thin hammered silver pennies which are low conductors. I'll post my findings on which comes out best on actual depth in the ground.

Was out with these two coils and on my ground which is NOT highly mineralised, searching for low conducting thin hammered silver pennies I found the Commander 18" to be my preference, it got the targets better and overall the coil was quieter than the 15" Ultimate Spiral. Having said that, both coils performed very well. But on the day, on my soil, for small thin low conducting hammered silver coins, the Commander 18" DD had the edge over the 15" Ultimate Spiral.

The deepest coin at a measured 12". Silver Coin 16mm diameter, varied in thickness but the thickest part 0,5mm

Happy Hunting

Posted by: confederate joe 1861-1865
Date: November 04, 2017 08:59PM
Ok I have my stock gpx coil ,,I hunt hot to med ground in Va Md and Wv ,,so what coil to buy the larger 18 inch Commander or the ultimate spiral weight isn’t a concern deep relics ,, colonial coins are Thanks

Date: November 05, 2017 04:59AM
jimmie

I hunt in the UK - my experience is the 15" Ultimate Spiral DD does NOT discriminate better, in fact quite the opposite. It is still a very good coil though. A little on the heavy side at 3lb 1oz (1.392 kg)

Happy Hunting

Posted by: anbenson
Date: November 06, 2017 12:59PM
I can't say how the 15 inch spiral DD compares to the 18 inch commander DD. But I do have a 15 by 18 SEF coil I've compared it to. The SEF is less sensitive to small junk which is good for relic hunting, but it's also not at deep. I would say the 15 inch spiral DD gets about 2 inches better depth and has a sharper signal on deep targets. I do feel like the SEF coil has a little better iron discrimination though and is 300 grams lighter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login