Findmall.com

Civil War Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
hanoverian rifled musket?
Posted by: Steve1825
Date: February 28, 2012 06:57PM
I rescued this Hanovarian (Rifled Musket Ball) but have only seen larger cal of this example found with two rings. This is a 50cal, one ring and a 1/2 ounce weight. Is this a pre-war bullet from the 1730's from (Saxony, pre Germany) and used only for hunting deer because of ti's accuracy? I found it up the creek from military camp with a Eagle I button and clay Pipe near, you can see it's maybe 8 groupings of 6 rifles around the bullet and it's ram rod mark. It seems to be a rare bullet so I would like more info before I donated it to a local military war museum. Thanks fellow Civil War Enthusiast.

White's V3i w/12x10 SEF coil & Sun Ray Invader DX-1 Probe, White's Prizm 6T w/Sun Ray Invader PZ-1 Probe, Garrett Ace 250 w/Sun Ray Invader YF-1 Probe, Fisher 1280X for in the water, Fisher 1225X as my seeded hunt machine.

Secretary for PATH, Peoria Area Treasure Hunters Club in Illinois.

Purchased my first detector in the spring of 1972 and still going strong.

you need to put a micrometer on it, Thomas has a .46 & .59N/T
Posted by: huntcav65
Date: February 29, 2012 07:14AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Richard
Explorer II

That'a a new one for me. cool bulletN/T
Posted by: Keith @ Port Hudson
Date: February 29, 2012 01:29PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Re: you need to put a micrometer on it, Thomas has a .46 & .59
Posted by: Steve1825
Date: February 29, 2012 03:40PM
Spinning the bullet in the micrometer to get a reading around the rifling marks which probably squeezed it a little and the white patina due to age in the ground I get a reading of 0.4890 making this one the .46 version. Was there any info with this listing in your book? Thanks.

White's V3i w/12x10 SEF coil & Sun Ray Invader DX-1 Probe, White's Prizm 6T w/Sun Ray Invader PZ-1 Probe, Garrett Ace 250 w/Sun Ray Invader YF-1 Probe, Fisher 1280X for in the water, Fisher 1225X as my seeded hunt machine.

Secretary for PATH, Peoria Area Treasure Hunters Club in Illinois.

Purchased my first detector in the spring of 1972 and still going strong.

Re: hanoverian rifled musket?
Posted by: Cajuncoinhunter
Date: February 29, 2012 08:24PM
Neat bullet and awesome rescue. :thumbup: A couple ( one groove) of them are listed in the Mckee & Mason book (#63 -- .65 cal) & (#102 -- .40 cal) ... Great post. cch.

Thomas' book has it
Posted by: huntcav65
Date: March 01, 2012 03:05PM
at .469 dia, .62 L and 183 weight

Richard

Explorer II

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login