Findmall.com

Civil War Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
One More River Hunt Before Cold Weather
Posted by: ironman200081
Date: October 10, 2017 07:54PM
I decided to hit the river one more time before the temperatures chase me away. It flooded a few weeks ago, so I was finding them right on the gravels before further floods could wash them into the bedrock. I spent about 2 hours finding bullets and had a great time. I do enjoy picking the freshly-washed bullets out of the gravel much better than in the river bedrock. I get less soaked that way, and for fall temps, that is the way to be.

video: https://youtu.be/dLtSLbhPGHQ

Bryan in Missouri
"MidMoTreasure" on Youtube
www.midmolawyer.com

Re: One More River Hunt Before Cold Weather
Posted by: calabash digger
Date: October 11, 2017 06:26AM
nice! funny thing bullets are few in my area.

Date: October 11, 2017 10:15AM
Hey, that's not so bad. I would rather have the BUTTONS that you are finding!

Bryan in Missouri
www.midmolawyer.com

Posted by: fowlercharles
Date: October 20, 2017 11:02PM
Hi Bryan, Cool finds ! Have you thought about hunting the high ground on both sides of the river when it gets to cold for the water? Those troops firing all that lead were most likely camped close by while waiting for the water to go down so they could cross. A good Topo Map would show you the high ground and any likely campsites. Those river crossings were many times much older than you would imagine and the earliest of travelers would have been camped at flood time waiting for the water to recede so they could cross. I have hunted a crossing that dated back older than both the CW Troops and 1815 Andrew Jackson Troops that crossed there. The high ground on both sides of the river were covered with occasional drops scattered by troops and travelers prior to 1800. Just my thoughts but that would be a good winter project on the not "Too cold" days! HH, Charlie

Date: October 23, 2017 01:43PM
Great tip! Yes, sir, and I have hunted them. On the dark, muddy river that I hunt at, the heights were the site of a long-term Union camp. On that clear creek, it runs alongside another Union camp. I have hunted the heights that are public land with success, but I could not secure permission for the privately owned portion.

Bryan in Missouri
www.midmolawyer.com

Posted by: fowlercharles
Date: October 23, 2017 09:55PM
Hey Bryan, that's great you have been able to hunt that high ground! I know how it goes with the no permission situation. I have knowledge of a major unknown CW camp and cant get permission to get on it and prove it out. Lol, it makes me queezy thinking about the possible finds that could be made on the place! That's not the first or only such situation for many of us I'm sure ! We just have to be happy with what we have and keep on digging! HH, Charlie

Posted by: Cajuncoinhunter
Date: October 25, 2017 07:15AM
Temps and crops are getting "just right" down here for some good hunting too. Great recoveries and some nice lead. CCH

Southern Louisiana Metal Detecting
Findmall Civil War Forum - Moderator
Whites, Fisher & Minelab Metal Detectors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login