Findmall.com

XP Deus Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Anyone here ever notched out everything but silver?
Posted by: squirrel1
Date: September 07, 2017 08:10AM
I have sites, where if I dug every signal,,I would be in just one site for 10 years, plus the site would be so dug up, would give metal detecting a very black eye.
Land owners would start shutting down.

Hence selective digging is the smartest approach.

Will some nice finds go undetected?
Sure.

But just how much can slaw, can, pull tabs, and other junk does one what to dig?

Now I don't spend all my time detecting such sites,,,Imdo have cleaner modern trash with older history sites.

Besides why didn't XP just give us 2 tones? And no meter?
They didn't and there are ways using Deus to try and take advantage and make it a bit easier on folks to hunt such sites.

Now, a person would be hard pressed to find a person inside the USA who has ran a Deus more hours than myself, I know a little about a Deus.
And yes a lot of the questions here may be boring to the other experieced Deus runners.

We must all remember as Deus users,,,,where we came from.
Even we were inexperienced with the detector at one time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 08:30AM by squirrel1.

Date: September 07, 2017 08:32AM
Tony notice that white strip on the one Deus unit?

I got this Deus in a trade, gent already had put this on the rod.
It is a cheat sheet for ID of targets.
I'll take a close up so you and others can see.

]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 08:48AM by squirrel1.

Posted by: CT Todd
Date: September 07, 2017 08:47AM
I'm responding to the original question. I know why a person might do what you've mentioned. But thank you for the reminder. The same new guy your talking about may also not be aware of why he or she shouldn't be doing what you guys are talking about. I guess that would be yet another post.

Dig Colonial or go Home! www.cttodd.com

Started in 97, Fav Coin 1774 2 Reales, Oldest Coin 1st Century Roman Silver

When I go detecting I always do so with permission of the land owner.

Date: September 07, 2017 08:52AM
Notice in my post above, I do comment on some nicer finds slipping by by doing.
So no confusion here on this issue.
All out in the open.

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: September 07, 2017 09:54AM
squirrel1

]

What do each abbreviated thing mean? Such as "SD" is that "Silver Dime"? I'm sure LC stands for Large Cent. What are some of the others?
P.S. I printed the image out.

one program for sniping silver and one for everything . . .
Date: September 07, 2017 10:05AM
CT Todd
Really guys Geez,
My point was what do you notch out and how do you decide. But I've ruffled some feathers. By all means yes this is exactly what a forum is all about please please keep posting. Please

What silver are you talking about?
What denomination of coin are you looking for ? Just the big ones?
What about 3 cent silver What about 1/2 reales what about a cut Bit coin. What about foreign silver coins of weird sizes?
What about any coin next to iron in the ground which affects the TID of the target and drags the coin out of your assigned notch.
What about very thin or bent which totally blows TID and then the notch or whatever you try to do is off again ?

You can't notch just for Silver without terrible losses of all sorts of things that you would prize in your collection.

In the 20+ odd years I've been detecting, I've never found a 1/2 real or cut Bit coin. Mostly likely due to living in an area where I can't find such coins like that. I wish I lived in an older area or that one was closer than an 8 hour drive.
I have found a half dime and half penny but the half penny was in Ohio. The half dime down the road.
Most parks around here and most homes for that matter, have silver dimes, quarters and rarely some silver halves.
All I want is one program to snipe for these types of silvers. I want to use that specific program to do a once over on an area. Then, after having gone over a specified area, switch to a program that allows everything and find co-located silvers.

Date: September 07, 2017 10:51AM
Tony N (Michigan)
squirrel1

]

What do each abbreviated thing mean? Such as "SD" is that "Silver Dime"? I'm sure LC stands for Large Cent. What are some of the others?
P.S. I printed the image out.

Don't know what all stands for.
Looks like pt =pull tab
IH= Indian head,,gotta watch though two different kinds conductive wise.

You might want to make your own and use your own abbreviations.

Date: September 07, 2017 11:23AM
What would be cool if when one runs the coil over a target, rather than giving a number it comes up with "possible silver dime" or "possible siliver quarter" or gold coin etc.
But anymore I mostly detect by sound first, depth second and numbers last.

Posted by: Blank Planet
Date: September 07, 2017 11:25AM
if you know what you are hunting and the prevailing trash the Deus can be set up to find it (silver coins) if that's what your hunting, I knock out the silver to hunt gold only and other coins with a simple disc out up to the number I need it at so I can hear what I am after, I do always leave it in full tones.

but the sky is the limit I don't need to ask anyone's permission I just do it :biggrin:

I can run disc at 70 and reactivity at 5 if I want or disc at 70 and reactivity at 1 for going deeper or in between reactivity but I don't want to disc from the bottom up and top down but that's me and I always use full tones because I use no disc at times or knock out 100 down to 83 and dig junk looking for gold..

you get the idea? do what ever you want like run the same patterns on the same spot at 4 kHz then 8, 12, 14, 18 , 28, 56 etc.. see what else pops out..

no rules here only an understanding of the targets being hunted and the detector and that all takes time to learn like I said to my friend ask me in 5 years I will tell my initial impressions of the Deus, time takes time..

BP

Posted by: calabash digger
Date: September 07, 2017 12:05PM
7 kh id norm off small
small cob 78-79
half real 79
one real 88 that could have been in 12 kh though when I dug it , gave it to the host so cant test it.
trime 64-65
half dime 75 -76
I think a lot of people have never dug these type of coins because they are so used to the modern silver high end vdi s 90 and so on. I wonder what those coins would sound like on a minelab??

Posted by: calabash digger
Date: September 07, 2017 12:07PM
Don't quit posting all questions are valid but notice the numbers on the old coins I posted..
Tony N (Michigan)
CT Todd
Tony
What number is silver ? or even the range? I'd like to know. Less internet more detecting.:surprised:

In my soil it's around 95 to 99 depending on depth.
I asked a fair question. Sorry if my questions offend anyone.
If anyone wants me to quit posting here, just let me know.

Date: September 07, 2017 12:19PM
calabash digger
7 kh id norm off small
small cob 78-79
half real 79
one real 88 that could have been in 12 kh though when I dug it , gave it to the host so cant test it.
trime 64-65
half dime 75 -76
I think a lot of people have never dug these type of coins because they are so used to the modern silver high end vdi s 90 and so on. I wonder what those coins would sound like on a minelab??

The half dime I dug registered on my Explorer around pulltab if I'm not mistaken. But there could have been trash with it. That was years ago. I almost didn't dig it but thought, oh heck, let's just see. It was on an old farm.

Posted by: Goldpick
Date: September 07, 2017 12:35PM
If I were detecting a site like an old farm with abundant iron and nails, I would setup the Deus near on wide open with regards to notching and copious amounts of discrimination, regardless whether you are after silver, coppers or relics. I'd rather hear more than less from my Deus in that situation, too much valuable tonal info will be lost if going to town on trying to cut out other targets. Using some iron discrimination can be useful on picking out non-ferrous from the mix, also to give your ears a break if the iron rattling off in the background is doing your head in.

Some of the recent coins found with my HF coil on an 1800's site which is absolutely carpetted with nails has really surprised me on how drastic the iron has dragged the tones down - miles from what you would expect in clean ground. One target was a large silver coin that gave off a mixed iron/non-ferrous tone in the mid range, that coin would have come up in the 90's in clean ground -- that was an eye opener. In that situation where most targets are co-existent with nails, you are really down to digging all non-ferrous to be 100% sure you are not leaving coins in the ground. Hence why notching is best left for normal park hunting with shallow to mid depth targets, simply too many variables to take into account when working around iron.

Also if working over patches of ground where other detectorist have been, you want to ensure that all on edge coins that others miss are cleaned from the site (a Deus specialty). That means notching is a no no, with most coins likely to be falling outside your notch window if set too precise - add iron to the mix and you will most likely walk straight over many coins.

Posted by: TN Mike
Date: September 07, 2017 01:07PM
IMO the only way to do it is to grid search and peel the layers off the onion. When I was in a hurry at a site not to long ago I did this and managed to hit a gold gilded button and silver ring. One of those, if I remember correctly was a one way hit, so I just got lucky. If the target is masked, its masked.

Posted by: Architex
Date: September 07, 2017 01:11PM
Ace 150 does that. :rofl:

One Man's Trash...........is what I usually find.

XP Deus / CTX 3030

Where are the diamond rings?.............They said there'd be diamond rings !.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login