Findmall.com

XP Deus Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: enderman, thanks. I'm impressed :cheers:
Posted by: enderman
Date: September 11, 2017 10:16PM
That is the general consensus, that low frequncies hit high conductors better. It's mostly what I attribute the Etrac/Explorer/BBS sucess on silver to. They operate at a 1.5kHz fundamental frequency which is right in the sweet spot for silver coins if you look at resonant frequency. (800Hz to 3kHz for Big silver to small silver)

However, there are always compromises, despite being at the right resonant frequency, the total package isn't overly sensitive on the small stuff, though I've hit silver dimes at 10", I've never dug a fishscale deeper then around 4" with an Etrac.
The Deus in 12kHz is inches deeper on that same coin in an air test, time will tell how deep I will hit one in the ground, they are a fairly scarce coin. Etrac is "multi frequency", however the higher frequencies are harmonics that diminish in signal stregth as they go higher, if I'm understanding it correctly. So the Etrac can hit dimes fairly deep with the help of some higher frequency information, but it's not the same as running that higher frequency at full strength.

The reason why 12kHz seems to be better then 4kHz on silver coins is because the higher frequency is more sensitive to smaller items, so as I say it's not just the conductivity, but the conductivity and size of the target.

To really drive this home I suggest you take your Deus in Basic 1 with a piece of wood and mark how deep your desired targets go in the different frequencies, you'll be surprised.

Now as far as the gold machines, 18kHz hits gold alloy very hard. Pure gold I would assume to be a lower conductor then a gold ring which is why nuggets would benifit from even higher frequencies, add to that nuggets are much smaller then a gold ring so again, the super high frequency would help. You are correct that it would be shallower again, all things being equal with the coil.
When you bench test make sure you do a gold ring in 18kHz, it will be deeper then any other coin size target. It will be way over a foot, if you do the test out side who knows you might still be getting a faint past 16", it's ridiculous. Then try that same ring on your Explorer, I would be surprised if it gets 1/3rd the depth.

As mentioned in a previous post, there might be a time when 8kHz punches deeper into bad ground then 12 or 18, just don't use that as your default. IMO of course.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 10:17PM by enderman.

Re: enderman, thanks. I'm impressed :cheers:
Posted by: hairymonsterman
Date: September 12, 2017 04:45AM
And not all machines @ 18khz are equal either, my GM5+ running 18khz was far more sensitive to small items (12"x10" coil) compared to the Deus (11" coil) in my soil which is quite mineralised, the Deus was slightly deeper, but the GM gave a stronger audio report on targets and less likely to only hit in a one way
sweep.

Tony N (Michigan)
enderman
Tony N (Michigan)
I usually hunt in 8kHz. Maybe I should up the kHz for on edge coins. I wonder if I'd lose much depth going 12 as opposed to 8. Probably not much.

Depth on what?

12kHz is deeper on most coins then 8,4 or 18 kHz.

Perhaps 8kHz is deeper on 1 ounce copper but for the "regular" size coins 12kHz is the deeper freq by a considerable amount, assuming average "regular" mild dirt.

There might be certain situations where 8kHz hits lower due to bad mineralization or whatever, but that is the exception to the rule and a special situation.

18kHz is good for on edge coins, (But is shallower),I usually use 12 first then come back in 18 to eek out some extra coins and whatnot.

It appears that size factors into the frequency used as much as conductivity ultimately.

Depth on coins like silver dimes and quarters.
It's my understanding that the higher frequency a detector uses the less depth one gets.
Some gold nugget detectors use very high frequencies but there is a loss in depth.
The lower the frequency, the harder the hit on high conductors like silver coins. But I could be right about this. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login