Findmall.com

Good Deeds in Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Classring lost for 79 yrs returned to the owner today.
Posted by: Grunter
Date: December 04, 2013 10:42PM
I have had a severe case of the crud since I found this classring from the class of 1934. I finally got back to the land of the living and returned the ring to a 97 yr. old young man. He thought he has lost it in a local swimming hole. I found it in the yard of the home that he grew up in and still lives there on his own. He was happy, I was happy. He commented that it brought back alot of memories for him. I can only imagine how precious those memories are to a man of 97 yrs. I truly believe that if I am blessed to continue metal detecting for the rest of my life I'll not have the opportunity to return a ring lost for 79 yrs. to a person still living and doing well. I've got to call it a once in a lifetime opportunity and a blessing. Pictures of the ring are posted in the E-Trac forum. I videoed the return and as soon as I can figure out how to convert mpg. file to one that is acceptable to the forum I will post it.

Re: Classring lost for 79 yrs returned to the owner today.
Date: December 15, 2013 11:52AM
There is a newspaper article in the Sunday edition 12-15-2013 of the Southwest Times Pulaski Va. if anyone wants to read it.

Posted by: frankj3
Date: December 22, 2013 07:09AM
THAT is awesome!!!! Great job of finding and then giving it back to the owner. It's an early Christmas present for him.....and you, too. I agree on it being a once in a lifetime event. Be proud of yourself for a job well done.

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Legacy 3500, Garrett Pro Pointer

Happy Day Veterans!!

Posted by: Angelo's Angels
Date: December 23, 2013 01:55PM
What an amazing story! I tried to find the link to the article, and couldn't locate it, but will try to watch the video now.

Date: January 13, 2014 10:50PM
I was just thinking this maybe the oldest find returned to the original owner on record. Anyone know of an older one?

Posted by: chadwick
Date: January 18, 2014 10:00PM
Karma is watching you my friend and she will be nice... Thanks for your story you the man

Re: Classring lost for 79 yrs returned to the owner today-an older find returned.
Posted by: kschae4
Date: January 27, 2014 09:30PM
Great story and congratulations to you. Yours is definitely the oldest ring that I've read returned to an original owner. An older return, though not a ring was written up in my old copy of 2009-2011 Minelab success stories mailer, which I'm able to locate the link to, and share this find from a class of 1924 (first grade)

http://www.minelab.com/usa/consumer/success-stories/medal-returned-after-86-years

Minelab Safari/BH Land Star/ Garrett Pro-Pointer
"Cause down the shore everything's all right"
Oldest identifiable coin- 1775 King George lll half penny
Most bizarre find: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?3,1835200,1835200#msg-1835200

Posted by: Bayoutalker
Date: January 29, 2014 09:48AM
Great job to both of you for returning those items. My grandmother lived to be 95 and I know she would have appreciated this kind of thing if it happened to her.

Cliff

Posted by: coast40
Date: April 04, 2017 03:43AM
Posted by: Bayoutalker
Date: April 04, 2017 02:06PM
WOW! Resurrected after 3 years!

Cliff

Re: Class ring lost for 79 yrs returned to the owner today.
Posted by: David53
Date: May 02, 2017 11:05AM
Great find!

I am glad the man whose ring you found expressed lots of joy when you returned it to him.

It's also not too late to mention it to your local news media. Maybe they would do a story and show how happy the man is to be reunited with his lost Ring. This could bring even more joy to him.

Thank you for putting it in the News Paper because the more positive stories people hear about our hobby, the less likely we will be banned from detecting in the future.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login