Findmall.com

General Interests Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
CAN YOU MAKE A LIVING Metal Detecting ????
Posted by: ferdware
Date: June 23, 2010 12:43PM
Hello again.

I am just curious. Can a person make a living from metal detecting? I am a metal fabrication artist by trade. I work for myself so there is always plenty of down time. Since I bought my V3i ALL my down time has been consumed with metal detecting. From looking for places, doing research, reading everything that I can, on this forum, and out hunting, (mainly the beach).
Now I know not to expect to get rich. Although I do hope for that huge diamond or even better a spanish reale every time I go out. But can a person make a living by metal detecting.

Does anyone have any examples or know of anyone who does ?

Could a person do it at the beach alone or would relic hunting also be advised ?

And how often do these people usually spend hunting, that you know of ?

Thankyou for your input..
FERD

Re: CAN YOU MAKE A LIVING Metal Detecting ????
Posted by: Rob (IL)
Date: June 23, 2010 12:56PM
Ha, I couldn't make a living at it, that's for sure. There are many people who make a living in the metal detecting business but not off their finds. Jimmy Sierra would be a good example. Hey there are the Meteorite Men. Rob

"Everyone has an opinion, but mine is free":devil:
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Posted by: ramases
Date: June 23, 2010 01:38PM
There are a few in the UK that I believe make a sort-of living but they have to sell pretty much everything they find. I wouldn't want to do that, would you?

Very keen to share experiences with other V3i fans - especially those in the UK.
2010 hammie count - 24: 2011 = 1

Posted by: CROCK of COINS
Date: June 23, 2010 01:51PM
I see people that can bring in about $100 Dollars a Month. Not enough to live on. A GOOD ring might help...but you can't bet on that all the time.

Jerry

Vision - V3 - 10"DD
DFX - DX-1 BigFOOT coil - 4x6 DD Shooter coil
XLT - BigFOOT coil
Eagle II SL90 BigFOOT coil
Eagle II SL90 6" coil
Prizm II 8" coil

Oxnard, CA

Posted by: Mike Hillis
Date: June 23, 2010 02:03PM
I read about a retired couple who spent their summers in a RV and hunted nothing but beaches for gold jewelry. They moved from beach to beach. I understood they made enough to cover their summer expenses.

Maybe I still have the article in my archives. I'll try to remember to look for it. If I find it I'll share it.

HH
Mike

*****Fisher F75 LTD w/DST ***** Whites V3 ***** Teknetics G2+LTD ***** Tesoro Golden/Cleansweep combo *****Teknetics ETPro *****Teknetics Omega 8500***** Tesoro Golden Sabre II *****Tesoro Compadre *****

Posted by: greenbean58
Date: June 23, 2010 02:38PM
I wish I could!!!!!!! I hate my day job and the pitiful union that supposedly helps (yeah right) us. If I could I would. Manufacturing in this country has taken a big dump.

Greenbean58

Posted by: nikandr23
Date: June 23, 2010 02:41PM

I read about a retired couple who spent their summers in a RV and hunted nothing but beaches for gold jewelry. They moved from beach to beach. I understood they made enough to cover their summer expenses.

bs
try to cover gas and batteries...
and parking fees...

unless it is Golden Beach in OR..

Posted by: Neil in West Jersey
Date: June 23, 2010 02:53PM
Here is my Craigs List Ad which made me $200 last year: The subject line is simply "LOST RING"?"

I can help you find your lost ring or jewelry. I am an experienced metal detector enthusiast from South Jersey. I recently returned a white gold engagement ring that was lost in a backyard, and a woman's wedding band lost at a local swim club..

If you lost your ring in an outdoor area, and have a rough idea where it was dropped or fell, I can most likely find it.

Years of "Treasure Hunting" Experience.

Latest State of the Art Equipment Allows Visual Identification Before Digging, Preventing Unnecessary Excavation.

Careful, Clean and Neat: Property Left In The Condition It was Found!

References Provided.

No Recovery, No Fee*

http://freewebs.com/neilinwestjersey

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: June 23, 2010 05:00PM
I think you could if your cost of living was not very much and you hunted beaches frequented by the rich as some of the beach hunters do on the Beach and Water Forum. Having experience as a diver would be a great advantage too. On the down side .............. a fun hobby becomes a job................:rant:

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Posted by: Rob in (Ca)
Date: June 23, 2010 06:11PM
You probably could make a living at Md ing, but you would really have to put in your time......... And I mean lot's of time , now it would turn into a full time job now. A 4-5 hour (no rest) hunt at my local Park wipes me out.

Jewelry Hunting The Sports fields & Beach's here in Long Beach ca,

Posted by: Rob in (Ca)
Date: June 23, 2010 06:16PM
Larry (IL)
I think you could if your cost of living was not very much and you hunted beaches frequented by the rich as some of the beach hunters do on the Beach and Water Forum. Having experience as a diver would be a great advantage too. On the down side .............. a fun hobby becomes a job................:rant:

The junklord over at the beach Forum finds a Ring every 1-2 days think he could qualify :rofl: :laugh:

Jewelry Hunting The Sports fields & Beach's here in Long Beach ca,

Posted by: nw1886
Date: June 23, 2010 06:21PM
The only folks that I've met that make a living off treasure hunting are the ones who sell detectors,specialize in some area of knowledge (Write books about it all.) and do a heavily researched/invested hunt occasionally. Guess it would be most accurate to say the make a living in the industry.

Posted by: RedRockNv
Date: June 23, 2010 07:02PM
I ran in to a guy that made his living detecting swimming beachs at lakes and the ocean. He detected in the water using a standard detector that floated in a inner tube with a webbing. He said that was what he did full time. Water is where you find the most good stuff.

Posted by: Rob (IL)
Date: June 23, 2010 07:50PM
Those examples would not cover my overhead. My medical insurance is bad enough, what do you think Larry? I'll just keep having fun. How much is he getting for a ring? It must be more than I thought they would bring. Rob

"Everyone has an opinion, but mine is free":devil:
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: June 23, 2010 08:28PM
I suppose it would depend a lot if the rings had stones or not......:unsure: I heard the other day "Transformers" actress Megan Fox lost a platinum ring with a 2 Carat rock on a Hawaiian beach. That would pay a couple of months rent...:happy:

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login