Findmall.com

General Interests Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: It all depends on your standard of living......
Posted by: Ray-Mo.
Date: June 23, 2010 08:53PM
I think I could if I were debt free to start with and wanted to live under the most modest of conditions.It makes a lot of difference on who you need to make that "living" for....If a person were single with no dependents and little or no debt load it could very well be possible as long as you had a good outlet for selling all your finds.You would need to be willing to travel and put in some very long hours.Also would need several years experience detecting under varying circumstances with top end machines.Taxes would not eat up much of my income either:devil:
Also would require very good health and great physical condition to succeed.I believe the right person could even get a bit of industry sponsor ship if they worked it right,Ray.

No, and I would not want to. It is a hobby, I don't want it to turn into a job.N/T
Posted by: Butch in Colorado
Date: June 23, 2010 09:00PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Butch in Colorado
"Man proposes and God disposes."
U.S. Grant, July 1, 1885
"We are not stupid as a whole... just in small groups"
Vernon Cross, May 5, 2006

I think a person could make a living Metal Detecting
Posted by: Mike Hillis
Date: June 23, 2010 11:05PM
I was going back through my archives looking for something I read about a retired couple who did just that. I didn't find that particular article but I did review some others from old websites like the Golden Olde and Alan Hassel that are focused on beach hunting. These make me think that someone with the right experience could do just that, especially at todays gold prices, hunting the beaches.

Beach hunt in the summer and prospecting in the winter. Yes...the right someone could make a living with a metal detector if he/she was willing to travel the beaches and follow the summer crowds.

Gold is over $1100 an ounce right now. You can get 94% of that. So at 1100 an ounce, 94% is $1034 in your pocket.
Some rings with the stones in them are worth much more than the scrap value, even at a highly discounted price.

How many ounces of gold would you need to make a go of it? How many months of the year support the best beach hunting times? Could you travel to the best beaches?

Say you needed 60,000 a year. 60,000 divided by 1100 is 54 and 1/2 ounces of gold. 2/3 of that would need to be found at the beach during the summer months of June, July, August and September. Thats 38 ounces during the summer months. 9.5 ounces a month for those 4 months out of year. Then 16.5 ounces needed for the remainder.

Round the summer quota to 10 ounces a month for 4 months straight. Could that be done? How many rings make a ounce? Chains, pendants, charms?
What about the stones. Can they count toward the ounce quota?

Just thinking out loud here. 2 people hunting, 5 ring quota each person every week = 40 + rings a month plus the others peices....could be done by knowledgeble people.

Winter time prospecting. Full time on a decent claim or two with a efficient dry washer, 16 ounces wouldn't be that hard to get, or for that matter extra to make up for what ever you fell short on during the beach months.

Could you live on less than 60K a year? If so the effort gets less.

I dunno. I think the right person(s) with the right knowledge could do it. What do you think. Too far fetched? To much effort?

HH
Mike

*****Fisher F75 LTD w/DST ***** Whites V3 ***** Teknetics G2+LTD ***** Tesoro Golden/Cleansweep combo *****Teknetics ETPro *****Teknetics Omega 8500***** Tesoro Golden Sabre II *****Tesoro Compadre *****

Re: CAN YOU MAKE A LIVING Metal Detecting ????
Posted by: gilfordberry
Date: June 24, 2010 02:32AM
Detecting the beach the other day, scooped up a quarter near a couple of girls sunbathing; one said "what did you find?" I said, just a quarter. She then said another detectorist has passed by them just a few minutes ago said he found over a thousand rings a year, one ever 5.3 hours on average. I said, "Sure, and pigs fly." She said "you think he was lying?" I told her I'm not calling anyone a liar, but think about this: if he finds a thousand rings a year, and averages one every 5.3 hours, that means he detects 5300 hours a year, over 100 hours per week, over 14 hours per day, seven days a week. Maybe he does, but more than three or four hours walking soft sand on the beach kicks this old man's butt. Here on the west coast where we find very few valuable older coins the typical detectorist probably finds around 2 or 3 dollars per hour on average in clad, and maybe one gold ring every thirty or forty hours of detecting time. That would reap less than working for McD's. It's a hobby, folks, unless your name is Mel Fisher. The good thing about this hobby is that you do find enough to pay for your equipment and gas (usually).

Posted by: Scortch
Date: June 24, 2010 07:57AM
I know a fellow who makes a living selling detectors and running guided trips for detecting. He does fairly well but has little free time. He pays property owners for the sole right to detect, then charges people, as a guide, to detect the sites.
It seems to be a lot of work and a ton of travel. He also charges for lessons in various types of detecting, gold hunting, relics, and so on. I guess it all depends on how much your in to it.

Re: I agree Mike,
Posted by: surfdog
Date: June 24, 2010 12:59PM
it is do able.... And what an awesome tan one would have... :twodetecting:

Re: I think a person could make a living Metal Detecting
Posted by: ferdware
Date: June 24, 2010 01:28PM
Well I have heard many people say NO because they basicly do not want to ruin a hobby. OK I can see that, BUT (now remember I am not saying Im trying to, Im just curious) I am truly happy with metal detecting. It is probably the first hobby/sport that I have taken up by myself, having no friends that MD.
I am 36 years of age. I play semi pro scenario paintball so I can handle long hours of MDing. Painball IS the funnest sport I have ever played, but you will not see me getting up at 4:00 am to play. Yet I WILL to go metal detecting.
The other morning I was out at the beach from 4am to 11:30am. The only reason I left was because of tourists showing up by the bus load.
I have just started a few weeks ago. Since then I have hunted 25 times. A few hours min. each time, in many locations (mostly beaches). I spend the rest of the day driving around looking for places to hunt. Going to different beaches during high traffic hours to see where the crowds are located. Looking for other possible beaches. Checking the river boat ramps. Reasearching online. Asking questions on this forum to better learn my detector. and so on

Well you can see that I clearly have the passion and drive. I know that I have plenty to learn as well. I just didnt want to humor the fact without getting some feedback on a realistic level.

As far as a hobby. Im not worried about that. If its something you love to do. Its not work. For example. In the past when I have had jobs working for other people I hated to get up to go to work, and was always ready to go home. BUT, when I started working for myself. My wife would have to yell at me to stop working to eat. I remember working many, many 14 hour days and not even bothering me. Because I was doing something that I loved.

And my bills only come to about $1700 per month. I also have a golf cart that I can drive to many local tourist beaches (saves alot of gas). I also dont mind selling most all my finds. I was the lucky one who found it. I can take pictures. I mainly like the thrill of the find.
I live in Garden City beach SC. We have many tourist beaches. N.Myrtle Beach, Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach, Garden City Beach, Huntington Beach. Plus the intercoastal waterway.

I appreciate everyones input and stories and look forward to reading and learning more about this subject.

Posted by: TURNMASTER
Date: June 28, 2010 01:10AM
Some nugget shooters do well

TURNMASTER
Does "Just my two cents" have the same meaning on a treasure hunters forum?
X-Terra 705 & AT Pro

Oldest coin; 1895 Indian Head Penny

That is sort of what I was thinking... if you can be happy living under a bridge and eating cat food, go for it!!N/T
Posted by: jbow
Date: June 28, 2010 01:04PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Julien in Cartersville, Georgia...
SovereignGT
Tejon
T2
E-Trac
V-3
F75 LTD
Omega-8000
Compadre

I have CDO. It is like OCD but the letters are in order like they should be...

Posted by: cloudbuster
Date: July 01, 2010 06:10AM
this bloke has done okay !!!

regards rob

Posted by: NuggetBucket
Date: July 01, 2010 10:04AM
Oh man, I need to learn how to prospect (and yes, I realize my handle is ironic seeings that I've never actually found a nugget, but it boosts my self-esteem...)

Nugget :smile:

Posted by: deerman
Date: July 07, 2010 08:08AM
The answer is yes you can but not if you think you can live high on the hog by doing it ,you can make good money detecting but have to watch your overhead
i know people who do live on what they find and by selling and scrimping on the finer things in life do very well at it,water/beach hunting or gold prospecting is about the only way
to make enough money to pay the bills(gas, car/truck upkeep ect and still have enough to live on ,one good ring that retails for $10.000 might get you 5.0000 to the right person but most of the time it will sell for about 2,000 so there is a big loss on some things you find(worth verses net) with gold being at $12,500 if you find ten rings 14k every two weeks you make about $1000 in those two weeks
witch is a great two weeks with 10 rings!!!!but on averge you find about 6 if you hunt every day 8 hrs a day you might only make $500.00 for the same two weeks plus what you find in clad might get you a little food for you to live on....also what happens if you get sick?????no hunting no $$$$

Posted by: Rob (IL)
Date: July 07, 2010 12:43PM
Under the best circumstances any thing is possible. As with the horde find in England anyone can get lucky. In reality, making a living that most of us are accustomed to, the answer would have to be very, very, highly unlikely.

Again, how many people making a living (on their finds) detecting have responded to the post?

..............Rob

"Everyone has an opinion, but mine is free":devil:
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Posted by: sbmsp
Date: July 07, 2010 10:44PM
I'm happy if my clad finds cover gas, batteries and re investing/upgrading gear. I have yet to cash in the random jewelry finds to see what their total is..... Regardless, any finds are good finds.....
HH'ing,
Steve

Posted by: willy
Date: July 13, 2010 11:01AM
Yup, you can. My buddy Jim did it for years and I've met others. Nugget hunting sure helps, but you generally won't be living high on the hog. Most people I've met who detect for a living also live in vehicles and don't stay in campgrounds. They also, generally, don't waste their time on forums (like this one) or even on the internet. This may be starting to change. Also, living a rubber-tramp lifestyle means that a person is looking at whatever makes a buck. Could be fruit picking, wild mushroom picking, beer cans, scrap metal, diamond willow.. the list goes on. Diversify and prosper. ..Willy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login