Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Running channel 11
Posted by: sube
Date: August 13, 2017 06:55PM
[/img] I went back to the fairgrounds where I hunted last week my detector was running at 9 for noise cancel today it wanted to run at 10 just for the heck of it I put it in 1 emi came in loud and clear da da da da so I went to 2 less emi by 4 it was gone . So I put it in 11 hunted the same spot look at all the low conductors I found no silver did I get on a silver maybe maybe not how did I miss these some nickels were only 3 inches deep well I have seen this before where my detector ran at 9 or 10 and I found more nickels than I usually find . Now the same can be said when my detector wants to run at 4 more high conductors and less nickels .

People change there sensitivity higher all the time (and get more noise ) but they don't change there noise cancel channel for the type of coin they want to find because the ctx knows best they will say but sensitivity and noise cancel or very conservative settings and you have leeway . To much sensitivity and the #s are all over the place same can be said with a channel to far from the recommened channel . If I get 6 for noise cancel I can go to 2 or 3 if I get 8 I can go to 11 this is with the stock coil the 6 has a bigger range before emi enters the picture .

I let the detector tell me what to hunt for if I get 8 or 9 I will go to 11 if I get 6 or 5 I will go to 2 or 3 and hunt high conductors not saying 6 won't give you silver or nickels .
Lower freqs give a better sound on high conductors just as higher freqs give a better signal on low conductors. But if you want the best settings your going to have to use plants a clad dime and nickel buried at 7 inches where you hunt I have plants at all my hunting spots . I get my settings from these before I hunt other wise your just guessing ground and emi change daily so why guess .sube

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 06:59PM by sube.

Re: Running channel 11
Posted by: david.di
Date: August 13, 2017 08:55PM
Thanks Sube.

Hope to try a manual selection of either of the channels, like you've suggested at a site I intend to detect very soon:thumbup:.

Kind Regards.

David Di

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: August 13, 2017 09:48PM
You're right,controlled environments are going to be the only way besides kidnapping a ML engineer to find out what channel is what. Fellow in England cracks out his "Metal Detector Frequency Checker" and finds the exact opposite of your experience...he says the lower the NC number the higher the frequency on his little meter. Then someone else says "uh uh...be careful now,there's things that can skew that and it MIGHT not be accurately the way it works"...then someone else claims that a well known silver shooter with an etrac keeps his on 11 whenever possible and finds the most silver in his area every year...
These are real things I read and see,while in the meantime it seems that nobody REALLY knows what's what as far as NC channel selection is concerned. The only thing we can rely on is in field CONSISTENT observations and cold hard results. In the end,that's all that matters...results.
When you pull a half eagle Sube...I want to know what NC channel you were on!!:beers:

Date: August 14, 2017 05:16AM
This set of freqs that from 1 to 11 a guy had checked out with a oscilloscope and channel 1 was lowest and channel 11 highest but anyway using different set's of freqs will give different results in the field they both unlock different coins and targets . I will have to break out my oscilloscope and see what I get if I can figure out how to hook it up lol.But in the end there is a differences in what channel is selected . I am going to try running as close to 1 for a channel next weekend and see what shows up .IDX I did pull a couple of half eagle in my day back in the 70s both were Washington quarters cut in half have not found one since . sube

Date: August 14, 2017 07:16AM
Washington quarters cut in half.....:lol: That's certainly something I have NOT found yet...

Posted by: smkunder
Date: August 14, 2017 07:24AM
Maybe I missed something, but does it tell you what channel is picked when you noise cancel?

Steve

CTX 3030 , XP Deus Ml-6 Pinpointer, Minelab Excal

Posted by: mrwilburino
Date: August 14, 2017 09:26AM
sube
I let the detector tell me what to hunt for if I get 8 or 9 I will go to 11 if I get 6 or 5 I will go to 2 or 3 and hunt high conductors not saying 6 won't give you silver or nickels .
Lower freqs give a better sound on high conductors just as higher freqs give a better signal on low conductors. But if you want the best settings your going to have to use plants a clad dime and nickel buried at 7 inches where you hunt I have plants at all my hunting spots . I get my settings from these before I hunt other wise your just guessing ground and emi change daily so why guess .sube

Sube: So you are using the coins that you have planted at your sites to check to see which channel gives you the best signal? Are you are noticing enough of a difference between the channels to be pretty confident in your choice?

It's an interesting concept, I'll give it a shot this week.

Fisher Teknetics XP Minelab

Date: August 14, 2017 10:27AM
smkunder
Maybe I missed something, but does it tell you what channel is picked when you noise cancel?

Steve,yes. After you noise cancel you can look at which one it has chosen.

Date: August 14, 2017 06:08PM
mrwilburino
sube

Sube: So you are using the coins that you have planted at your sites to check to see which channel gives you the best signal? Are you are noticing enough of a difference between the channels to be pretty confident in your choice?

It's an interesting concept, I'll give it a shot this week.
Yes Digger and me discuss this years ago and channel 11 seems to be the best any how with no emi that I can hear at certain spots I hunt the difference in depth on the dime is almost the same from 1 to 11 but the nickel from 1 to 11 big difference 3 inches in most spots I hunt I guess the machine can hear that high conductor in any channel . What's going on in channel 11 I don't know but Lot's of people use it I am sure it hit's gold harder than the other channels . I got my answer to why I didn't get the nickels last time I hunted I have been letting the machine pick my noise cancel channel and kind of got away from using channel 11. I guess the only time you don't want to use channel 11or any channel you pick is if you have emi another words da da da da I have not been in a place where I can get 4 in auto noise cancel or lower to see if I can swing it all the way to 11 and still get depth but I do know that you can change that channel 3 points either way and still have the same depth .

Now if there's a 3 inch difference on the nickel there's got to be a difference on the dime running at 1 compared to 11 .
Idx most people run 11 across the pond because there looking for lower conductors small silver and thin silver which read lower than are coins . But i am pretty sure 11 is the highest freq the machine puts out .

Mrwilburin plant a dime and nickel in your yard and run 1 and 11 over it and see what 11 does for the nickel I think it well surprise you . sube

Date: August 15, 2017 05:02AM
That's suppose to read 1 1/2 to 3 inches sorry about that . sube

Posted by: brother steve
Date: August 16, 2017 09:00PM
This is really interesting and it makes a great point. I always thought that the machine picked the best channel. I didn't know by selecting high or low channels could bring out different conductors.This has got me ready to experiment ! I always wondered why some times I would kill silver then on a different day hit nickels. I am really going to watch my channels from now on. Thanks!

Posted by: "Carolina"
Date: August 17, 2017 06:55PM
Sube: I asked Andy this very question at a boot camp as I have read this in the past somewhere. He basically said the machine is smarter than the operator so auto + 3 is the way to go. It seems with my experience sensitivity 21 and above vs 20 and below is where I see a marked difference in depth. So, if I can run channel 11 at 21 or higher sensitivity before I have EMI problems, by your findings this should be my settings for low conductors. I have watched all your videos and read most all you have written as you certainly are well versed on the CTX. I hunt low conductors ( gold ) so I will check what channel my machine wants to run at in auto and then make a decision on my channel setting. Thanks, will give a report later.

MINELAB CTX 3030
MINELAB Excalibur II
MINELAB Excalibur 1000
MINELAB Excalibur Gold Sword
VALLON VMH3CS
WHITES Dual Field

Posted by: "Carolina"
Date: August 27, 2017 09:41AM
My findings so far after five trips out. I hunt gold in the water and on salt water beaches. Manual 11 and auto #3 sensitivity for me, show a marked difference in bottle caps. With these settings, the caps come in clear as a low conductor. Auto channel and auto #3 sensitivity, the caps give a broken signal or null. This is just me. It's hard to say if I have more gold using manual 11 over auto channel. I think I need a controlled test environment on the beach to have any real input. Report later.

MINELAB CTX 3030
MINELAB Excalibur II
MINELAB Excalibur 1000
MINELAB Excalibur Gold Sword
VALLON VMH3CS
WHITES Dual Field

Posted by: brother steve
Date: August 27, 2017 05:06PM
Tom, What numbers are you getting in auto channel. All I get is 6.

Date: August 27, 2017 05:19PM
brother steve
Tom, What numbers are you getting in auto channel. All I get is 6.

Tom...I'm not trying to butt in,sorry...but I get channel 6 most of the time,I'd say 75% of the time the machine chooses 6. Maybe that's a good "all around" selection to have a chance at ALL conductors and the engineers know this? I don't know...if I get EMI or underground wires or whatever is upsetting the machine and making it unstable,it'll choose 2,6 or 9 the VAST majority of the time. I don't think I've ever seen it choose anything else.(Maybe 10 once in a blue moon).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login