Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Running channel 11
Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: September 03, 2017 03:51PM
My Explorer2 instruction is to have the coil on the ground with no metal nearby. By the time the CTX arrived maybe ML realized that like Sube,we are using these machines SPECIFICALLY IN METAL LADEN AREAS! So perhaps they thought the lesser of two evils (1...not being in the "detecting position" and 2...we can't find a clean spot ANYWHERE) was the way to minimize operational heartache, so they suggest doing it in the air now. Brandon (Dr. Tones) had thought that perhaps the metal in the ground would act as a "tuning fork" and would disrupt the NC process,leading to a less than optimized machine for the site.
Now, we obviously wouldn't want any metal in the ground when we are GROUND BALANCING. That would make for a positive offset that would make it harder to see small or deeper targets. Thankfully I've never had to use the manual Ground Balance feature, none of my sites are quite that rotten. Close...but not quite...

Posted by: sube
Date: September 03, 2017 06:58PM
"Carolina"
Hi Sube:
Well I'm pretty much going to sit back and watch and read you guys comments and learn. I do agree after testing the auto noise cancel is a fixed number. I think my circumstances are much different from yours as I primarily hunt damp sand and water where ground conditions are much different. I do however think I can improve my skills by employing some of your knowledge and techniques. I am curious about your use of GB and what your take is on this option? I would also like to touch base again on the NC. I know Safari and eTrack are FBS detectors and the CTX is FBS2. I believe the Safari and eTrack say to NC with the coil resting on the ground where the CTX instructs your method, off the ground. Is it because of the difference between FBS & FBS2 ? Or did Minelab decide they had it wrong at first or does it really make a hill of beans? I do believe I will continue to run manual 11 for my low conductors and auto sensitivity +3 as this consistently produces nickels in the 15" range or shallower. Thanks for all your input and look forward to your thoughts on the GB.

Carolina

Hey idx I did some reading and there seems to be some confusion on what the highest and lowest channels are on the minelabs the explorer series ran there #s 1 being highest and 11 being lowest the ctx and etrac had there #s reversed to 1 being lowest and 11 being highest .

I think all the fbs and fbs2 detectors have the same nc circuit so no difference in how you noise cancel . My thoughts on gb I will only run gb in ground coin bad ground anytime I get down below 15 for sensitivity but if I have a lot of targets and iron I will run ferrous coin or high trash and just live with the noise . Ground coin doesn't like a lot of targets if it's not loaded with targets I will go to ground coin and gb . but I have not had to use ground coin where I hunt very much I have spots where I hunt that have tons of rusted and decaying caps where my sensitivity well drop I tried ground coin here and then went back over with ferrous coin and found coins ground coin missed . Ferrous coin separates iron from good targets where as ground coin separates ground noise from good targets so even though I am running ferrous coin in tuff ground it still out did ground coin but it was a lot noisier than ground coin . sube

Posted by: "Carolina"
Date: September 03, 2017 08:30PM
Sube
Not sure if you meant me or IDX but, I would agree with what you have said. I run low trash as my sensitivity tells me low mineral. In the bay where there is tons of iron, ferrous coin. I have no need for ground coin or high trash and I make sure GB enable is off. Can you help me find where it is written about the assignment of frequencies to channels. For the CTX #1 being the lowest and #11 being the highest? Thanks

Carolina.

MINELAB CTX 3030
MINELAB Excalibur II
MINELAB Excalibur 1000
MINELAB Excalibur Gold Sword
VALLON VMH3CS
WHITES Dual Field

Date: September 04, 2017 10:36AM
You guys might want to look at this as well,regarding aftermarket coils and disc patterns...if you're not careful you could get fried because the disc is too tight or you're only digging specific numbers. I'm not sure how it might apply to the CTX but it's an eye opener FOR SURE! https://youtu.be/9KHoljdF3Ms

Date: September 04, 2017 05:17PM
Thanks IDX

I'm good though. There are only two after market coils for the CTX made by CoilTek specifically for the CTX. I doubt if Sube hunts by numbers but might use them for a reference more than anything. At least for me. All kinds of conditions and position of targets can skew the numbers a bit. Tones and breaks in threshold govern my style then numbers. Today was a banner day for me. 5 rings 3 gold 2 Junkers and a heavy 3.8 grill from a brother!!!

Thanks again

MINELAB CTX 3030
MINELAB Excalibur II
MINELAB Excalibur 1000
VALLON VMH3CS
WHITES Dual Field

Date: September 05, 2017 10:09AM
A grill? Damn!! Great hunting!!!

Date: September 05, 2017 10:52AM
I think I spelled it wrong. They call them grilz or fronts! Thanks, find at least one a year here. Wonder how many get swallowed? Lol

MINELAB CTX 3030
MINELAB Excalibur II
MINELAB Excalibur 1000
VALLON VMH3CS
WHITES Dual Field

Date: September 05, 2017 12:28PM
Yeah that'd be a hell of a time on the toilet...:lol:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login