Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Equinox 800 vs ctx 3030
Posted by: littlenugget
Date: September 16, 2017 03:16AM
I dont get it is a 800 dollar machine (Equinox) better than a 2500 machine( ctx 3030)?

Re: Equinox 800 vs ctx 3030
Posted by: lytle78
Date: September 16, 2017 03:26AM
Might be a problem there, especially if it doesn't leak.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: Dan(NM)
Date: September 16, 2017 03:29AM
Representing our most significant coin & treasure introduction since the launch of the CTX 3030 in 2012, Minelab is pleased to announce the pending release of our new EQUINOX Series Metal Detectors.

The EQUINOX Series is the all-terrain multi-purpose detector that obsoletes all single frequency VLF detectors. Equally adaptable for all target types and ground conditions… just select your detecting location and go!

The EQUINOX Series has been designed for the serious coin & treasure enthusiast looking to upgrade to a high performance detector, without the high cost. It’s also suitable for the new detectorist, having several pre-set modes for different detecting locations. The EQUINOX Series features Minelab’s STATE-OF-THE ART Multi-IQ simultaneous multi-frequency technology and combines fast recovery speed with low-latency wireless audio in a lightweight waterproof platform.

3 Detect Modes (Park, Field, Beach)
4 Frequency Options (5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, Multi)
Wired Bluetooth Headphones Supplied

4 Detect Modes (Park, Field, Beach, Gold)
6 Frequency Options (5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, 20kHz, 40kHz, Multi)
Bluetooth Headphones and WM 08 Wireless Module Supplied

“EQUINOX, with Multi-IQ, has the potential to obsolete all the traditional VLF detectors that enthusiasts have been using for decades.” –Minelab Electronics Pty Ltd.

Expected retail prices are:

EQUINOX 600 USD 649
EQUINOX 800 USD 899

Posted by: lytle78
Date: September 16, 2017 04:20AM
Minelab destroyed the market for their GPX 5000 PI gold machine by raising the price level from $5k to $7k - bold move, but the African gold market proved them right - and they made a ton of money.

Now they threaten their $3k CTX 3030 with an under $1k machine that likely does everything the CTX does and more - and is way lighter! Bold move. Will this pay off? I suspect so. The Deus is stuck at a high price point and no simultaneous multifreq. The CTX is pretty much a dead end, no singlefreq options, high price, silly heavy mechanical package. ML will likely sell a ton of these new machines in Europe and North America - unless it is flawed in some obvious way - which I tend to doubt it will be.

They had to do this - it is where the state of the art is moving and they were pretty much dead in the hobbiest market except for the 3030 which is steadily burning up goodwill in the US on account of poor reliability and ectremely poor service arrangements.

In europe, XP and the 2nd tier makers - including the Turks are going to take a hit. Here, the US manufacturers will have to fight a new top end machine with unique features.

Good move - can't wait to see it in action.

Rick Kempf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 04:33AM by lytle78.

Posted by: mrwilburino
Date: September 16, 2017 04:55AM
Here is Brandon Neice's facebook video of the Equinox:

https://m.facebook.com/MinelabMetalDetectors/posts/1777209305652612

Looks like a serious challenger for the Deus and other Euro-speedsters, and may cut into fbs territory at the beach, but not so sure that it will compete with the Etrac/CTX in the ID dept.

Fisher Teknetics XP Minelab

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: September 16, 2017 05:23AM
Interesting..... wonder which freqs it combines for beach......and how many? I assume BOTH can use wired phones or the more expense one can only go so deep in the water. So.... wheres the battery..... inside? If so, wonder how long its good for? Guess their statement could be right........ if its got some depth and sensitivity to it.

Dew

Xcal II, Blue Xcal 1000, Sov GT, Exp SE
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

Posted by: mrsspk
Date: September 16, 2017 05:38AM
Let's hope it never has to take a trip to the Minelab repair center at Kellyco!

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: September 16, 2017 07:06AM
TIME will always tell if something works or if it doesn't. I won't believe that the Equinox will compete with the FBS/FBS2 until it has been proven in the field with real world results. NOT air testing and "planted scenarios"....this machine has to go to really difficult hunted out pounded sites and produce more good finds,in considerable volume. If it doesn't then it's not looking like much has changed,the e-series and CTX will still be king. TIME with the machine in the hands of skilled users in difficult sites will tell.

Posted by: Historical Prospector
Date: September 16, 2017 07:29AM
Why would Minelab sell a new machine that can equal or better the CTX 3030, unless...... an upgrade to the software for the 3030 is finally coming. We could only hope..

Posted by: Southwind
Date: September 16, 2017 07:42AM
As good as the Equinox looks it still is not a CTX equal.

Think of it as the VX3 to the V3i. A lower featured cheaper version.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Posted by: GazinUK
Date: September 16, 2017 07:53AM
Just put my name down for one at the main dealer, here in the UK. Just hope their out before a lot of my permissions are under seed.

Posted by: sprchng
Date: September 16, 2017 08:13AM
:thumbup:Looks like we're going to need a new Minelab Equinox sub-forum at Findmall.

Posted by: GKMan
Date: September 16, 2017 08:15AM
Southwind
As good as the Equinox looks it still is not a CTX equal.

Think of it as the VX3 to the V3i. A lower featured cheaper version.

Yeah, perhaps less features, but a featherweight, and that reactivity setting interests me. Did they mention GPSS? Not that I use it.

I see myself getting one. Had the CTX since it first came out so, it would be nice to try out something new. I do need a spare detector since I am well out of warranty on my CTX

I was surprised to hear Brandon say it was his go to machine now.

Gary
Dutchess County New York
I love The Game of Tones....
https://www.youtube.com/user/gkillmer
Present: CTX 3030, Detectorpro Uniprobe
Past: Minelab E-Trac, Explorer II, Sovereign
Oldest US Coin: 1793 Liberty Cap Cent
Story here http://goo.gl/1GR9cR

Oldest Silver: 1776 1/2 Reale
Story here http://goo.gl/KaY13f
Oldest US Silver 1851 Half Dime

Oldest Coin: 169? King William 1/2 penny
Story here http://goo.gl/xKjtrQ

Oldest Find: 3500 to 5000 year old Copper Adz
Story here http://goo.gl/Xr6qIM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 08:19AM by GKMan.

Posted by: Jim Robertson
Date: September 16, 2017 08:20AM
I still say if you own a 3030 or Etrac and a XP Deus you have most everything covered. I know that is all I need to get the job done. I hope Minelab proves me wrong but it will take a lot to do that.

Posted by: treasure_hunter
Date: September 16, 2017 08:22AM
Already placed my order for one.I suspect this is going to cause a lot of AT Max orders to be canceled.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login