Re: Equinox 800 vs ctx 3030
Posted by: dbado1
Date: September 16, 2017 08:50AM
When is the anticipated release date?

Dean

Posted by: bugg
Date: September 16, 2017 09:28AM
I never bought a 3030 due to the weight and price. This unit interests me. I wonder if they will eventually come out with a high end model in this series with target trace ,at some point?
If this series had target trace, what features would the 3030 have over this machine?

Depends on what the definition of 'better' is
Posted by: therover
Date: September 16, 2017 09:29AM
Some may like the lighter weight, wireless feature and possibly less complex operation.

These things need to get shaken out and put to the test with some honest reviews.

A lightweight, wireless, waterproof unit that works very well on wet salt sand is a huge plus for me. My days of going waist deep in the Atlantic ocean are over !

Being able to use a light weight, multi frequency unit in the wet salt sand and not worrying about salt water splashes and then being able to switch to a single, high frequency to hunt dry sand for jewelry or switch to a low frequency to search for old silver coins is at the top of my list. Wireless is just a bonus. Having a few top notch headphones and liking how they sound, I can still deal with using them.

Posted by: greenmeanie
Date: September 16, 2017 09:42AM
I have to agree no one said what MULTI FREQ is really in the new machine.
I want to see this work in the SALT before I dump my CTX.

littlenugget
I dont get it is a 800 dollar machine (Equinox) better than a 2500 machine( ctx 3030)?

CTX 3030
TreasureTurf.com

Posted by: Bowie
Date: September 16, 2017 10:27AM
Its been so freakin long since Ive posted on this forum;or anyother forum for that matter. But, I still frequent everyday or so.
Yes, Im curious also of the multiple frequencies it will use,but; If I recall correctly or incorrectly did not the ETrac, Explorer only use 3 frequencies although they were advertised as using more than 3. If so I am thinking it will use 3 of the availble frequencies on the Equinox or maybe just two like the Fisher machines??? Anyways, Im up for an education if I am incorrect on the ETrac/Explorers use of frequencies. And maybe it would be nice if you can opt for the frequencies to use.
Curious how quick the response will be in multiple frequencies.
Looks promising and Im sure not the cats meow for everyone,but you have to admit it looks like it took multi purpose machines to a new level.
Wonder how it will handle the ground
Will it have iron volume control??
John

Equinox vs CTX 3030 or the E-Trac
Posted by: Andy Sabisch
Date: September 16, 2017 10:35AM
The quote on the several other blogs and Facebook posts is that this will be Brandon's #1 detector over the CTX 3030 . . . does anyone really believe that the same company that builds and still sells the CTX 3030 as well as the E-Trac will release a detector at 1/3 the price that outperforms either of the two models that are still selling well?

Minelab - like all other manufacturers - is looking at what is being released and release that they need to compete. Wireless is the only way people will want to go so having that option on the Equinox as well as the AT Max is a must. Quest Metal Detectors developed their detectors a few years ago and the Equinox looks quite similar in form to that and the Quest has wireless built in . . no module required.

If the Equinox was a hybrid of the unique BBS or FBS circuitry, that would have been stated in the literature. After all, White's has had multi-frequency for nearly 20 years starting with the DFX and carried over to the V3i / VX3 platforms.

The launch was hyped for months much the way the AT Max was which is yet to ship. The videos from the UK on the Minelab show that the features are not fully locked in which means that release to the public is down the road. It is a solid marketing strategy since people will now hold off buying what is available to see what might be available - human nature.

Knowing Minelab since the origins of the company, I am certain it will be a solid performer but if you are expecting it to replace your E-Trac or CTX 3030 or make finds comparable to those two units at the price they are marketing it at . . . well, take a deep breath and reground yourself.

Andy

Posted by: sprchng
Date: September 16, 2017 11:00AM
Possibly , but there's a lot less air in the sails of the Deus and Turkish machines this morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 11:01AM by sprchng.

Bowie...The frequency thing was always a mystery to me
Posted by: therover
Date: September 16, 2017 11:04AM
Bowie...glad to see you posting !

Minelab marketed their 23-30-50-100 or however many frequencies based on the harmonics used (as far as what I have read on many posts and articles). CZ's have had 2 frequencies for almost 3 decades.

Whatever the case, I do believe at least 2 frequencies are needed to have above average performance on wet,salt sand due to the ability to balance out the salt conductivity (Mark Rowan explains it really well in the DFX videos that Whites put out).Two or more frequencies used is the best way since a single frequency unit would have some issues and not be an optimal unit in that arena. You can use single frequency units in wet, salt sand ( I have used my MXT Pro in the wet, salt sand and it does well but it won't do better than my CZ;s, E-Trac, etc.) but you would be better off with a multi freq unit.

So even if these new units are not FBS or BBS, if it have the ability to use 2 or 3 in combination and can be used in wet, salt sand and outperform single frequency units, it's a winner with all the other features it will have.

Imagine if Minelab slaps on a better warranty then some of the other manufactures out there. That would up the ante even more.

Re: Equinox vs CTX 3030 or the E-Trac
Posted by: Southwind
Date: September 16, 2017 11:04AM
What I find funny is that the Equinox has shot to the top as far as discussions on the forums. Why is pretty simple. It owes the all this excitement to the reputation the E-Trac and CTX has built. The idea of a E-Trac II has been on the wishlist of many a Minelab fans for a long time. IF the Equinox can match the performance of the E-Trac/CTX then it will sell like hotcakes.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Posted by: MEV
Date: September 16, 2017 11:15AM
Just looked at a video and they Say you can.use all frecuencys at the same time. Does it means it's just like ctx 3030?

Andy, if performance is close.....
Posted by: bugg
Date: September 16, 2017 11:46AM
to the etrac or ctx, it will be a big seller. Minelabs are known for excellent ground handling abilities, depth, and discrimination. Now package that into a detector that weighs a tad bit more than the Deus, is water proof to 10 ft, and a wide range of frequencies, and you have a winner.

Re: Andy, if performance is close.....
Posted by: Andy Sabisch
Date: September 16, 2017 12:14PM
But if it is close in performance, selling it 1/3 the price will kill the CTX and E-Trac sales. What do you tink is going to happen to the XTerra line with this unit coming out? And the Safari is another unit that will be challenged on price alone.

Time will tell but it will take a lot to match the hype that has been played up on this release

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: September 16, 2017 12:28PM
But Andy, MLs be talking about reducing the number of detectors. This ..... if it lives to the hype, would certainly be a step in that direction. I agree..... the price sure makes you go WOW with what it SEEMS to offer. I like simple on the beach...... something the Xcal is..... but its a really slow recovery machine and on the dry sand...... well there are just other machines a lot more capable at finding smaller gold. Its a wait and see for me....... but you are right, they would be cutting their own throats with the CTX. Sooooo common sense tells me, this may be a machine Gary D may have to sell us.

Dew

Xcal II, Blue Xcal 1000, Sov GT, Exp SE
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Posted by: GazinUK
Date: September 16, 2017 12:33PM
Someone posted elsewhere that if you had a deus and CTX then you needed nothing else, well minelab have given you the option of changing the deus for one of their own.

Re: Andy, if performance is close.....
Posted by: "Carolina"
Date: September 16, 2017 12:35PM
So Andy: I should have Charlene take me off the waiting list and lay lo awhile?

MINELAB CTX 3030
MINELAB Excalibur II
MINELAB Excalibur 1000
MINELAB Excalibur Gold Sword
VALLON VMH3CS
WHITES Dual Field

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login