Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Cache"ing A Dream
Posted by: JamesBondaka
Date: June 03, 2017 11:11PM
This happened a few weeks ago....If you don't like banks, this story is for you!

A couple contacted me about some valuable items that were apparently buried on land that they now owned. A family member that had amassed many items was ill and was supposed to show his longtime friend where these items were buried. Time went on and he never divulged where he supposedly buried the items in question.

One day when the family members came over, they found a dirty shovel in the living room, which was very unusual. They asked him about the shovel and he said he just forgot it there. They thought that was odd. Later, they also found out that there was a toolbox missing from the garage. Did he bury these items in the missing toolbox?

After his passing, the family purchased a metal detector to see if, in fact, he had actually buried the items they thought he still had. They knew there was no safety deposit box, as he had some problems with the bank years earlier and he did not trust them. They searched the property but came up empty.

Apparently the items in question were buried on about 4 acres of land. I hunted several times a week for about 3 weeks. I did find some old tools, some coins and a kid’s ring, but no luck on the "treasure".

Perhaps this was just a tall tale and the treasure was spent long ago. No one knew for sure.

I found an overgrown spot near a tree, old stump and fence line of the property. I kept getting inconsistent signals from this one area. After 45 minutes of digging around, I realized that there was a barbed wire fence that was embedded in the ground. I cut through the fence and proceeded to probe around. Still inconsistent signals, but I was able to eliminate most of them by turning down my pinpointer. I was now getting a faint steady signal below the surface and not from the barbed wire fence. I knew something was there.

After changing my position, I proceeded to dig down again. After a few minutes of digging, my shovel blade hit the sweet sound of a metal container. After switching detectors, I was able to get a nice picture of the object in the ground through analysis imaging and it did confirm that this was a box of some kind. Could it truly be the toolbox with the alleged treasure???

There is bad news and good news . . .

The bad news . . . after unearthing a metal box, we realized that this IS NOT the metal toolbox that disappeared from the garage.

The good news . . . The box was FULL!!! I could hear objects moving about as I struggled to free the box from the clay earth. Could this be my lucky day???

After getting a large hammer from the garage, I broke the lock off the box and opened the lid. I instantly saw silver coins and as I peeled back some of the items then I saw the color of gold!!! A toolbox FULL of coins, jewelry and collectibles.

I am truly blessed and it happened on my Mother’s birthday. About 5 years ago I found some silver on my Dad’s birthday. Call it divine intervention. Call it luck or just persistence. Whatever the case, you never know what you can find . . . unless you try!

I will continue to detect, explore and enjoy this hobby, after not touching a metal detector for 30 years since I was a kid. Needless to say, this fun hobby has now turned into a profitable one! But, I can't sleep! :clap:

I am very thankful, to say the least, but I wonder what happened to that other toolbox??? Thx M&C

................................*.................In Oregon, I will find a million dollars, one penny at a time!............Viva la diggo.................*.........................................

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~If the hobby of metal detecting made perfect sense...everyone would do it~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

V3i ExpSe Xlt F75 Umax Dfx Mxt Gmt Ace ETrac 505 Gold & Coinmaster Deleon Mpx Prizm II Cz5/3D Goldengate 3D BH300 Ctx Jeohunter Tm-808

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2017 11:15PM by JamesBondaka.

Re: Cache"ing A Dream
Posted by: barbecued scallops
Date: June 03, 2017 11:43PM
So did the owners let you keep any of it?

Date: June 04, 2017 12:26AM
barbecued scallops
So did the owners let you keep any of it?

We made a deal.... BEFORE... I started, 50/50 .... and I get to keep the box too

................................*.................In Oregon, I will find a million dollars, one penny at a time!............Viva la diggo.................*.........................................

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~If the hobby of metal detecting made perfect sense...everyone would do it~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

V3i ExpSe Xlt F75 Umax Dfx Mxt Gmt Ace ETrac 505 Gold & Coinmaster Deleon Mpx Prizm II Cz5/3D Goldengate 3D BH300 Ctx Jeohunter Tm-808

Posted by: E-TRAC-OHIO
Date: June 04, 2017 05:34AM
A very cool story !

XP Deus * 9" Coil * Vance / Killer B Hybrid Headphones
Minelab E-Trac * 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 Coils * Killer B + Gray Ghost Headphones

1724 - K.G. Half Penny * 1736 - K.G. Half Penny * 1783 - Half Real
1817 - Large Cent * 1829 - Capped Bust Dime * 1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime * 1852 - Three Cent * 1857 - Flying Eagle Cent * 1865 - Two Cent * 1877 - Seated Quarter

Posted by: mcb613
Date: June 04, 2017 05:30PM
I assume the box was gasketed??? Lots of white paper in there...

Posted by: Mkus
Date: June 04, 2017 05:35PM
Nice story gray find

Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: June 04, 2017 06:24PM
Find of a lifetime. ... I dont know if ive ever heard of anyone else actually finding a cache.. you hear alot of stories but no one ever seems find them... congrats on an awesome find...

Date: June 04, 2017 08:12PM
mcb613
I assume the box was gasketed??? Lots of white paper in there...
All those items didn't come out of the box that way some have been "cleaned" a bit and some have been left alone . Most were inside plastic bags in the inside another plastic container . Some of the containers and holder's have been thrown away . Some have been re-holderd for organization and to keep the coins in his best condition possible as some of the items will be split up

Posted by: timwied
Date: June 04, 2017 09:21PM
WOW!!! That's all I got to say bout that!!!

Fisher F4, Garrett Pro Pinpointer Pro AT,Started Detecting December 31, 2013, Oldest 2014 - 1861 Seated Liberty Dime. 2015: 1863 & 1864 Indian Head Cents, 1 foot apart. 2016: 1700's Chinese Cash Coin & Fatty, no date, 1860-1864 Indian Head Cent, Two 52 caliber ringtail sharps Confederate Bullets, and 4 pistol balls in the same hole. Two Union Bullets, one is 58 caliber Williams Cleaner. 2017: 1863 Indian Head Cent, U.S. Civil War Waist Plate (Buckle), Sterling U.S. Collar Pin.

Posted by: Goldstrike
Date: June 04, 2017 11:27PM
That is a really cool find. I think we all dream of finding a cache like you found but as you proved in the field, it takes a lot of 'stickability', hard work, sweat, patience, persistence etc; etc; to get the treasure we all hope to find. I bet your were so excited when you dug that box up!!!!!:thumbup:

That is impressive.N/T
Posted by: Elton
Date: June 05, 2017 08:03AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Supporter Of Findmall Sponsors
Proud to be a findmall Moderator !

Date: June 05, 2017 07:19PM
mcb613
James, csn you elaborate on the analysis imaging. And do you have any pics of the initial opening and the hoard?
Pretty inpressive find!
Thx

Thanks! 1 of the machines I use gives me a real time image of what's in the ground, content info, depth, size etc.

Re: Cache"ing A DreamN/T
Posted by: mcb613
Date: June 05, 2017 07:33PM

Posted by: vleonard1844
Date: June 05, 2017 09:21PM
WOW!

It's not luck, it's pluck! Nice going! Wowzer! Find of a lifetime!N/T
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: June 06, 2017 09:46AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login