Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Three cent piece
Posted by: pplinker
Date: August 11, 2017 11:29AM
Laying on top the ground like a lot of my recent finds. But the MD would have found it if my eyes hadn't of. The back looks in real good shape. Can't read the date on the front and don't want to mess it up trying because one time I ruined an Indian cent trying to clean it.

Red Top flour thimble sells on e-bay for 5.99, but this one was bent. The other thimble has printing on it, looks like good quality. Trying to get it clean.

Greetings and good luck from West Virginia

XP Dius, Minelab 704 with 3khz 9 inch coil, 18 KHZ 5 inch coil, 5 inch coiltek coil, 18 kHz 5 x 9 coil. Original Garrot pinpointer, Garrot pinpointer pro and M16 pinpointer

1831 large cent, 1838 seated silver dime, 1901 barber dime, 1864 two-cent piece,1886,1900 and 1904 Indian head pennies, 3 silver Washington quarters, 3 Roosevelt dimes. 30 or 40 wheats, 10K black hills gold ring, 1974 10K gold class ring, 1870 Artillery button, 1940 and 1944 Mercury dime, ?? three cent piece

I am a 61 year old wife and mother with two daughters and three granddaughters. I'm thankful for all God's blessings.

Re: Three cent piece
Posted by: trojdor
Date: August 11, 2017 12:44PM
Very nice... :thumbup:

Yeah, when they're corroded like that, there's really not much (cleaning wise) you can do without inflicting damage.

Well done,
:)
mike

Posted by: pplinker
Date: August 11, 2017 01:12PM
Used flashlight and big magnifying glass. Pretty sure the date is 1868.

Greetings and good luck from West Virginia

XP Dius, Minelab 704 with 3khz 9 inch coil, 18 KHZ 5 inch coil, 5 inch coiltek coil, 18 kHz 5 x 9 coil. Original Garrot pinpointer, Garrot pinpointer pro and M16 pinpointer

1831 large cent, 1838 seated silver dime, 1901 barber dime, 1864 two-cent piece,1886,1900 and 1904 Indian head pennies, 3 silver Washington quarters, 3 Roosevelt dimes. 30 or 40 wheats, 10K black hills gold ring, 1974 10K gold class ring, 1870 Artillery button, 1940 and 1944 Mercury dime, ?? three cent piece

I am a 61 year old wife and mother with two daughters and three granddaughters. I'm thankful for all God's blessings.

Posted by: brianc577
Date: August 11, 2017 03:33PM
I soak in olive oil, for months sometimes and it is amazing what comes out. Just do not rub it hard when you take it out!!!!!! I have had one piece eagles with gilt appear after a couple of months. I do not know what the metal composition is so let the experts give some input

Posted by: earthlypotluck
Date: August 11, 2017 04:54PM
Wow you have good hunting grounds if your finds are lying on top of the ground. I wish that was my case :smile: Yep that III center is toasted. Won't hurt to soak it in Olive oil and it might even aid in clarifying a little more of the date.

Fear is paralyzing and courage is liberating. No matter what is put in front of you, there is always a way to make it work.

Dreams are just dreams, goals are dreams with deadlines. The desire to succeed comes from within. Stay focused on your goals, and if people say that you can’t do something, get them out of your life and move on.

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: August 11, 2017 06:55PM
Pplinker, congratulations on your 3 Cent Nickel! They are rare finds. In over 30 years of detecting, I've only dug 2 - an 1866 and an 1870. I would hunt that site very carefully - there could be a gold coin or 2 there. I hope that the olive oil treatment helps bring out more of the detail.

Here is a little info on the 3 Cent Nickel: They were minted from 1865 to 1889 and designed by Longacre who also designed the Indian Head Cent , $1 Gold, $3 Gold and the $20 Gold Liberty Head coin.

The reason for the 3 Cent nickel was primarily to replace the unpopular "shinplasters" . Postage stamps at that time cost 3 cents and the shinplasters were a fractional. currency printed for their purchase. Incidentally the $3 Gold coin of 1854-1889 was minted primarily for the purchase of either a roll of the 3 Cent coins or a sheet of stamps.

Good find! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Posted by: Bayard
Date: August 11, 2017 11:25PM
Aluminum Jelly will remove the corrosion from that coin.

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: August 12, 2017 04:04PM
I have never found a 3 cent coin yet. That's an excellent find and it looks in good shape!

Posted by: CZconnoisseur
Date: August 12, 2017 06:22PM
Wow that's one helluva sunbaker! Way to go! :bouncy:

Tokens 16
Wheats 138
Indians 52
V Nickels 8
Buffalo Nickels 7
War Nickels 6
Seated Dimes 4
Barber Dimes 8
Mercury Dimes 23
Canada Vicky Dimes 1
Rosie Dimes 8
Seated Quarters 1
Barber Quarters 2
Standing Quarters 1
Washington Quarters 1
Walker Halves 1
Barber Halves 1
Silver Jewelry 7
Gold Jewelry 1

Posted by: xwyokid
Date: August 13, 2017 08:12PM
Great find. One of those has eluded me for 25 years!! As have many others! LOL.

Posted by: Sataro
Date: August 14, 2017 11:09AM
Congrats on some excellent finds!

Nokta Impact | Whites MXT Pro | Tesoro Vaquero | Tesoro Cibola | Lesche Digger | Garrett Pro-Pointer | Deteknix Xpointer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login