Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
I think I found my first meteorite.
Posted by: dgerst
Date: August 12, 2017 12:41AM
In my back yard. I was trying out my new TRX. Got a signal just below a nickel with my LRP. I figured it was a chunk of foil. Pinpointer was screaming but I couldn't find the metal. Turned out to be this. It's definitely not hematite. Fusion crust. Rust and what appears to be nickel flakes. Holds strong to a magnet. My rock hunting college science professor friend looked at it under a microscope and says it's a safe bet. Pretty rock. I may slice and polish it.

Dave in KS
Discovery Treasure Baron Cointrax II
Tesoro Bandido II µMax W/Clean Sweep
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro

Re: I think I found my first meteorite.
Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: August 12, 2017 09:05AM
Interesting---which state are you located?

Posted by: comisoas
Date: August 12, 2017 11:03AM
Is it attracted to a magnet at all? What does the other side of the rock look like.

Date: August 12, 2017 12:09PM
Yeah. It holds quite strong to a magnet. Can pick it up easily. Some calcite on the other side. It looks to be pretty weathered. Iron showing through the worn parts of the crust. I'm in Kansas. About 25 miles south of the Brenham Pallasite fall. This isn't a pallasite though.

Super cool find! . . .
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: August 12, 2017 03:59PM
How big is that sucker?

Date: August 12, 2017 08:52PM
It's only about a inch across.

Posted by: woody
Date: August 12, 2017 09:11PM
Congratulations. Never even seen one much less found one.

Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: August 13, 2017 10:04AM
I was thinking about this find last night while watching the meteor shower... sure would hate to get beaned in head by one of those lol... cool find..

Posted by: earthlypotluck
Date: August 13, 2017 01:23PM
:rofl: I was thinking the same thing. I wonder what the statistics are for people getting clobbered in the head from a meteor? :blink: No matter how large or small, it's gonna be lights out for good. :stretcher:

bootyhoundpa
I was thinking about this find last night while watching the meteor shower... sure would hate to get beaned in head by one of those lol... cool find..

Fear is paralyzing and courage is liberating. No matter what is put in front of you, there is always a way to make it work.

Dreams are just dreams, goals are dreams with deadlines. The desire to succeed comes from within. Stay focused on your goals, and if people say that you can’t do something, get them out of your life and move on.

Posted by: xwyokid
Date: August 13, 2017 08:07PM
Nice find. I spent 5 days one summer dedicated to hunting for some in an area that had yielded 4 in the past . No luck!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login