Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
A heart stopper
Posted by: Listener
Date: September 18, 2017 09:39PM
Hunted a couple of bus stops this evening. Found 3 bucks in clad, a baseball batting cage token from Salem, Oregon and this fake gold ring. It sure looked good when I first popped it out and then I saw it was cupped and full of dirt and no weight. After I got it all cleaned I saw the stamp inside. India. Oh well, win some - lose some.

Re: A heart stopper
Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: September 19, 2017 02:00AM
Nice pile of clad there Listener! We all know the dissapointment of digging faux gold jewelery. Hopefully next time you will dig a nice 14K ring! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Re: Most folks in India purchase 18kt not 14kt, it is a different color than 14kt.N/T
Posted by: BigTony
Date: September 19, 2017 03:36PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

BigTony

Posted by: Goldstrike
Date: September 19, 2017 05:19PM
I was leaving a park after it got real dark last night and in the faded light, my last target was a ring. I didn't have my glasses on and it looked good. I carefully placed it in my finds bag and in checking the contents back at home, it was another cheapie ring! I never let my hopes raise up too much anymore as I (as well as most of us)! have been disappointed all to often before!! Any ring is welcome though:thumbup: and it's better than no rings at all!

Nonetheless, you did find a ring! Think positive!N/T
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: September 20, 2017 03:32PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Posted by: mcb613
Date: September 20, 2017 10:56PM
Yeah, Id look that ring over a bit more. Lots of high karat gold from India.. hope its. Good gold!

Date: September 20, 2017 11:51PM
I took a little better picture showing the India stamp. There are no other stamps and although the color looks great it is really light in weight and looks like a bubble gum machine ring. I think it is anodized aluminum.

Date: September 21, 2017 04:40AM
Is it obviously light weight? If so, you may be right.
Otherwise, it looks good from here. The fact that no other markings could simply be a wear issue.
Also, not sure a cheap bubble gum aluminum ring would even have a stamp inside.
If I had it in my hand, I would know immediately, further test with electtonic gold meter.

Tell you what, if you have a piece of black tile, or chalk board, give it a good rub on board, if the residue left is yellow, more likely it is gold.
Usually, a really cheap, plated ring will leave a silverish streak on the rub.

Good luck! I'd still be optimistic.

Take care,
Mike

Posted by: kschae4
Date: September 21, 2017 05:57AM
Hope it passes testing...It sure looks good anyway....

Minelab Safari/BH Land Star/ Garrett Pro-Pointer
"Cause down the shore everything's all right"
Oldest identifiable coin- 1775 King George lll half penny
Most bizarre find: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?3,1835200,1835200#msg-1835200

Date: September 21, 2017 06:44AM
Infact the " India" looks worn too.

Date: September 21, 2017 10:55AM
The color looks good and yes, I would do an acid test to be sure if it is or isn't. If you don't have an acid kit, you could take a jewelers file and cut a tiny nick in it and look at the nick through a loupe, That should show what the base metal (aluminum maybe?) is.

Date: September 21, 2017 01:03PM
Goldstrike
The color looks good and yes, I would do an acid test to be sure if it is or isn't. If you don't have an acid kit, you could take a jewelers file and cut a tiny nick in it and look at the nick through a loupe, That should show what the base metal (aluminum maybe?) is.

I took your advice and swiped it across a file. No yellow on file, silverish base metal probably aluminum as the ring is so light.

Date: September 21, 2017 04:43PM
At least you can rest easy knowing for sure now!! NOW...... to snag a real gold ring!! They are just waiting out there for you and me to pass a coil over them!!:clapping:

Date: September 21, 2017 09:59PM
Yup , a fergossi!
A little excitement though.
If it were very light and you stated that, redults would have been a little quicker. Maybe you did mention and Im not paying attention. Still a hold ring.., in color!

Posted by: kaolinwasher
Date: September 22, 2017 11:42AM
that gold ring was a nasty rug pull, now when the real thing comes along you wont get so exited.

Currently own 4 detectors

Mirage P.I coustom built by Sven.

silver Umax With ground balance

Blisstool V5

and a Makro Racer,

God will forgive every sin and blasphemy. are you ready to repent

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login