Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Gold v nickle?!!!
Posted by: Mkus
Date: September 21, 2017 05:41PM
Never seen one of these! Both same date found in an old house 1883. I thought for sure a $5.00 gold coin!
Anyone ever seen one???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2017 05:42PM by Mkus.

Re: Gold v nickle?!!!
Posted by: kschae4
Date: September 21, 2017 07:20PM
Most impressive, and upload reverse pictures .Congrats

Minelab Safari/BH Land Star/ Garrett Pro-Pointer
"Cause down the shore everything's all right"
Oldest identifiable coin- 1775 King George lll half penny
Most bizarre find: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?3,1835200,1835200#msg-1835200

I wonder what it's made of?N/T
Posted by: Tony (Michigan)
Date: September 21, 2017 07:24PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Posted by: enderman
Date: September 21, 2017 07:25PM
If your site us genuine then you may have a racketeer nickel.

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: September 21, 2017 08:57PM
Mkus, Enderman is correct. It's a "racketeer" nickel. In 1883, the first year of mintage of Charles Barber's "V" nickel, some unscrupulous individuals, noting the similar size and appearance to the $5 gold coin, and the lack of stated denomination , plated them to pass off as $5 gold coins. This created such an uproar that the design was changed to include the word "Cents". Consequently there are 2 varieties of the 1883 Barber Nickle - those with cents and those without cents. Neat and historic find! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Posted by: Sataro
Date: September 21, 2017 09:43PM
Congrats on a very unique find! Plus I got to learn about a racketeer nickel!

Nokta Impact | XP Deus | Lesche Digger | Deteknix Xpointer

Posted by: miffdan
Date: September 22, 2017 05:31AM
That's cool! Never knew about the racketeer nickel before. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: REVIER
Date: September 22, 2017 06:06AM
Way, way cool!
Like a Henning nickel I would much rather find one of those than the real version.

"What if doing the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?”
F70, F2, Compadre, Mojave, Judge2 - 2017....Clad, 13 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter, a beautiful walker and two V nickels...
Plus other cool stuff.

Posted by: rod-pa
Date: September 22, 2017 10:22AM
if both are same weight...then racketeer.

Date: September 22, 2017 11:09AM
Blind Squirrel
Mkus, Enderman is correct. It's a "racketeer" nickel. In 1883, the first year of mintage of Charles Barber's "V" nickel, some unscrupulous individuals, noting the similar size and appearance to the $5 gold coin, and the lack of stated denomination , plated them to pass off as $5 gold coins. This created such an uproar that the design was changed to include the word "Cents". Consequently there are 2 varieties of the 1883 Barber Nickle - those with cents and those without cents. Neat and historic find! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel
Thanks just heard this info from George a very good historian he knew right away it was a counterfeit right away very cool!
Ill put it next to my real gold half eagle I found last year.

Date: September 22, 2017 02:41PM
Here is the reverse

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: September 23, 2017 01:12AM
Mkus
Blind Squirrel

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel
Thanks just heard this info from George a very good historian he knew right away it was a counterfeit right away very cool!
Ill put it next to my real gold half eagle I found last year.

You are welcome, Mkus. It's a genuine 1883 No Cents Barber or V nickel only gold plated to deceive. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Also coined the saying: Just Joshing You
Posted by: bertman
Date: September 23, 2017 08:23AM
"Just joshing you" came from the late 1800's and has a very interesting story behind it!
Josh Tatum was a deaf mute, but a very enterprising young man from the Midwest. In 1883 the US Mint came out with a new nickel. It was deemed the Liberty Head Nickel and on the reverse side had a large roman numeral V stamped on it. The new nickel did not have the word "cents" or "nickel" stamped on it. Josh Tatum noticed this and the fact that it was nearly the same size as the US $5.00 gold piece, which at the time was used as common currency. With the help of a friend familiar in gold electroplating base metal, they turned these coins into a literal gold mine. Tatum went from town to town going into shops, stores & mercantile. He was very careful not to purchase anything that cost more than a nickel, where he would hand over one of these gold plated nickels. The clerk would accept the coin, and in most instances give Josh back $4.95 in change, which he happily would take. By the time law enforcement caught up to him, he had visited hundreds of towns & had amassed a small fortune!.

The Law prosecuted him but ironically he was found not guilty on the most serious charges, because he only purchased items that totaled 5 cents, and because he was deaf & could not speak he never represented that it was a new $5.00 gold piece.

The same year, the US mint added the word "cents" to the Liberty Head Nickle in an effort to bring this type of fraud to a halt.

Hence the famous saying: your not Joshing me are you

Re: Also coined the saying: Just Joshing You
Posted by: earthlypotluck
Date: September 23, 2017 08:40AM
Thanks Bertman for posting!

bertman
"Just joshing you" came from the late 1800's and has a very interesting story behind it!
Josh Tatum was a deaf mute, but a very enterprising young man from the Midwest. In 1883 the US Mint came out with a new nickel. It was deemed the Liberty Head Nickel and on the reverse side had a large roman numeral V stamped on it. The new nickel did not have the word "cents" or "nickel" stamped on it. Josh Tatum noticed this and the fact that it was nearly the same size as the US $5.00 gold piece, which at the time was used as common currency. With the help of a friend familiar in gold electroplating base metal, they turned these coins into a literal gold mine. Tatum went from town to town going into shops, stores & mercantile. He was very careful not to purchase anything that cost more than a nickel, where he would hand over one of these gold plated nickels. The clerk would accept the coin, and in most instances give Josh back $4.95 in change, which he happily would take. By the time law enforcement caught up to him, he had visited hundreds of towns & had amassed a small fortune!.

The Law prosecuted him but ironically he was found not guilty on the most serious charges, because he only purchased items that totaled 5 cents, and because he was deaf & could not speak he never represented that it was a new $5.00 gold piece.

The same year, the US mint added the word "cents" to the Liberty Head Nickle in an effort to bring this type of fraud to a halt.

Fear is paralyzing and courage is liberating. No matter what is put in front of you, there is always a way to make it work.

Dreams are just dreams, goals are dreams with deadlines. The desire to succeed comes from within. Stay focused on your goals, and if people say that you can’t do something, get them out of your life and move on.

Date: September 23, 2017 03:27PM
That's very cool thanks for sharing that so a cool piece of history saved!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login