Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Got out for about a half hour on farm where I live and snagged this
Posted by: enderman
Date: September 23, 2017 07:38AM
Duplicate thread.

If you never heard that sound before means you must not have dug anything deeper then 5" with your Explorer.

Are you sure you've been detecting 12 years? Sheesh.

Posted by: MikeW
Date: September 23, 2017 10:44AM
Sounds like what happens with the Coinstrike. Good coin signal and numbers from one direction, at ni ety degrees the signal breaks up, the numbers are all over and going into negative. It was shallow and sound so good I dug it and out pops an old merc with a glob of rusty something covering most of the merc. I like those odd signals. Go get another!!!

Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: September 23, 2017 10:57AM
Tony (Michigan)
bootyhoundpa
Ive never used an etrac either but I do hunt farm fields with the sov gt and can tell you 5in. on a dime can be a real challenge when you consider all the tiny bits of metalic debris that inhibit getting a clean signal... point is you dug it so maybe just part of the learning curve.. when i hunt farm fields i dig all non ferrous signals as good targets are likely to be partially masked by whatever else is mixed into the same soil...congrats..

Yes, the more I dig those questionable targets the more I'm amazed.
I was very surprised when I popped out that Merc. It was the last thing I expected. Maybe someday they will invent a detector that will remove all doubt?

By the way, your handle "bootyhoundpa" is interesting. What's the story behind that? :beers:
just slang for Pennsylvania treasure dog,lol.. i mostly farm field hunt but i also enjoy some fresh and saltwater hunting as well,hence the booty as in pirate treasure..

Posted by: Tony (Michigan)
Date: September 23, 2017 02:16PM
enderman
Duplicate thread.

If you never heard that sound before means you must not have dug anything deeper then 5" with your Explorer.

Are you sure you've been detecting 12 years? Sheesh.

Hi enderman,
I've been detecting a lot longer than 12 years. I have quite a few detectors and they all are unique in how they interact with targets in the ground.
I've detected probably thousands of very shallow finds as well as very deep ones. Most of the time, targets are pretty clear as to what they are.
Sometimes a target throws me for a loop when it acts anything like what would be normal. But it makes detecting all the more interesting.
Have a nice day.

Posted by: CZconnoisseur
Date: September 23, 2017 03:24PM
Last year I hunted a rental house in Memphis, and got a signal with the Deus that I passed up. It was reading 64-68 - a loud, solid banging signal...and I thought it was an aluminum screwcap. My partner at the time detected the same target with his AT Pro...he also got a "screwcap" indication - but he decides to dig - and out pops a Franklin half!!! :shocked:

So reading your story on this Merc - it was somehow altered in the ground so that it doesn't "read right". In the case of the Franklin half - it had a purplish patina on the "top" side - the side facing the detector coil, and the other side was normal.

Sometimes on shallow targets it seems they can get skewed for whatever reason, and many deep targets seem to read HIGHER in VDI than they would if they were shallower. Sometimes when the circuitry is "fooled" by a signal - the audio information will give further clues - sometimes not - there's no real definite way to know what you're digging since there's nearly an unlimited number of variables that may or may not surround a coin/pulltab/bottlecap/etc

Tokens 16
Wheats 138
Indians 52
V Nickels 8
Buffalo Nickels 7
War Nickels 6
Seated Dimes 4
Barber Dimes 8
Mercury Dimes 23
Canada Vicky Dimes 1
Rosie Dimes 8
Seated Quarters 1
Barber Quarters 2
Standing Quarters 1
Washington Quarters 1
Walker Halves 1
Barber Halves 1
Silver Jewelry 7
Gold Jewelry 1

Posted by: Tony (Michigan)
Date: September 23, 2017 03:50PM
CZconnoisseur
Last year I hunted a rental house in Memphis, and got a signal with the Deus that I passed up. It was reading 64-68 - a loud, solid banging signal...and I thought it was an aluminum screwcap. My partner at the time detected the same target with his AT Pro...he also got a "screwcap" indication - but he decides to dig - and out pops a Franklin half!!! :shocked:

So reading your story on this Merc - it was somehow altered in the ground so that it doesn't "read right". In the case of the Franklin half - it had a purplish patina on the "top" side - the side facing the detector coil, and the other side was normal.

Sometimes on shallow targets it seems they can get skewed for whatever reason, and many deep targets seem to read HIGHER in VDI than they would if they were shallower. Sometimes when the circuitry is "fooled" by a signal - the audio information will give further clues - sometimes not - there's no real definite way to know what you're digging since there's nearly an unlimited number of variables that may or may not surround a coin/pulltab/bottlecap/etc

That's so right on what you stated.
I surmise that the dime most likely was either on edge or the nearby nail was throwing it off. But the strange thing is I LOVE finding silver surrounded by trash be it modern or old square cut nails.
Of course one cannot rely on the fe/co numbers in that scenario so I rely on the sound. The problem with the E-trac is I can't get that real high silver sound like I can with the Eplorers. So I must re-learn my sounds.
Thanks for your post.

Posted by: Sataro
Date: September 24, 2017 04:43AM
Congrats on the merc! Bad sounding or not, your diligence paid off.

Nokta Impact | Whites MXT Pro | Tesoro Vaquero | Tesoro Cibola | Lesche Digger | Garrett Pro-Pointer | Deteknix Xpointer

Posted by: kschae4
Date: September 24, 2017 09:38AM
Nice find,when in doubt...........

Minelab Safari/BH Land Star/ Garrett Pro-Pointer
"Cause down the shore everything's all right"
Oldest identifiable coin- 1775 King George lll half penny
Most bizarre find: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?3,1835200,1835200#msg-1835200

Posted by: woody
Date: September 24, 2017 07:10PM
Electrons! You can't trust them.

Posted by: mcb613
Date: September 24, 2017 07:27PM
Etrac is s silver magnet, but at times bad signals can surprise you.
Usually, the deep ones get ya though. When derp sometimes read. 17 - 43. Usually the sound comes through though.
Good find!

Posted by: Goldstrike
Date: September 24, 2017 07:47PM
Could also be that with the nail degrading/rusting away over the years, it created a halo effect with very fine particles of rusty iron causing your detector to register some weird signals. I'm assuming if you air tested the dime, it would sound and I.D. just like a regular silver signal?

Posted by: enderman
Date: September 25, 2017 09:39AM
Tony (Michigan)
CZconnoisseur

That's so right on what you stated.
I surmise that the dime most likely was either on edge or the nearby nail was throwing it off. But the strange thing is I LOVE finding silver surrounded by trash be it modern or old square cut nails.
Of course one cannot rely on the fe/co numbers in that scenario so I rely on the sound. The problem with the E-trac is I can't get that real high silver sound like I can with the Eplorers. So I must re-learn my sounds.
Thanks for your post.

You can adjust the pitch and variability settings to make silver sound higher on the Etrac.

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: September 25, 2017 05:24PM
woody
Electrons! You can't trust them.
And Protons are much better at what they do than amateurtrons. :-)

Date: September 25, 2017 05:26PM
Sataro
Congrats on the merc! Bad sounding or not, your diligence paid off.

Thanks Sataro. I'm really wet behind the ears with this new E-trac. But I'm really liking it the more I use it!

Date: September 25, 2017 05:32PM
Goldstrike
Could also be that with the nail degrading/rusting away over the years, it created a halo effect with very fine particles of rusty iron causing your detector to register some weird signals. I'm assuming if you air tested the dime, it would sound and I.D. just like a regular silver signal?

Yes the dime sounds real nice above ground. This is the second time this has happened in this small area of the farm. I think this area was where they burned trash and threw crap. The other Merc I got earlier this year just a few feet
from this one sounded hideous as well but I dug it on a hunch. It always pays to be inquisitive.
Other areas on the farm the silvers I've found were pretty text book sounding.
But I've dug coins surrounded with all kinds of trash in parks and still could get the silver to sing in the mix with micro sweeps.
Sometimes life just loves to throw you a curve ball every now and then and you have to decide to hit it or not.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login