Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Sunken ghost town finds....1880s finds
Posted by: Mcdetect
Date: September 24, 2017 07:14PM
Hunted a sunken ghost town today that was submerged in the 1950s or 60s but was founded in the late 1800s. Found two indian head pennies, a son of civil war vets medal, warranted flask and porcelain cherub figure. All items seem to date to the 1880s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2017 07:21PM by Mcdetect.

Re: Sunken ghost town finds....1880s finds
Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: September 24, 2017 07:50PM
Awesome, you found both pieces of the of medal... i found one several years ago and i think tony from mich. found one recently ... cool finds..

Posted by: Dang
Date: September 25, 2017 10:33PM
Nice. :drool:
They practically have armed guards at Folsom Lake when Morman Island emerge when the lake dries up.

Posted by: timwied
Date: September 26, 2017 07:51AM
I don't understand that logic? Instead of allowing someone to metal detect and share history, they would rather leave history where it lays. (No one will ever know though, because no one can dig it up?) So it is not History at all! It's just LOST! But, I don't make the rules!!!

Dang
They practically have armed guards at Folsom Lake when Morman Island emerge when the lake dries up.

Fisher F4, Garrett Pro Pinpointer Pro AT,Started Detecting December 31, 2013, Oldest 2014 - 1861 Seated Liberty Dime. 2015: 1863 & 1864 Indian Head Cents, 1 foot apart. 2016: 1700's Chinese Cash Coin & Fatty, no date, 1860-1864 Indian Head Cent, Two 52 caliber ringtail sharps Confederate Bullets, and 4 pistol balls in the same hole. Two Union Bullets, one is 58 caliber Williams Cleaner. 2017: 1863 Indian Head Cent, U.S. Civil War Waist Plate (Buckle), Sterling U.S. Collar Pin.

Date: September 26, 2017 07:51AM
I don't understand that logic? Instead of allowing someone to metal detect and share history, they would rather leave history where it lays. (No one will ever know though, because no one can dig it up?) So it is not History at all! It's just LOST! But, I don't make the rules!!!

Dang

Fisher F4, Garrett Pro Pinpointer Pro AT,Started Detecting December 31, 2013, Oldest 2014 - 1861 Seated Liberty Dime. 2015: 1863 & 1864 Indian Head Cents, 1 foot apart. 2016: 1700's Chinese Cash Coin & Fatty, no date, 1860-1864 Indian Head Cent, Two 52 caliber ringtail sharps Confederate Bullets, and 4 pistol balls in the same hole. Two Union Bullets, one is 58 caliber Williams Cleaner. 2017: 1863 Indian Head Cent, U.S. Civil War Waist Plate (Buckle), Sterling U.S. Collar Pin.

Date: September 26, 2017 09:19AM
The sad part about leaving things in the ground is they continue to degrade until they are worthless and unrecognizable....especially coins. In my area most older wheat cents, indian or older copper or copper/nickel (v nickel, etc) coins are destroyed. Pretty much unreadable. I'm so jealous when I see people pulling readable old non-silver coins from the ground. We have very unforgiving dirt around here unfortunately.

Posted by: Dang
Date: September 26, 2017 01:07PM
And not only that...i work with a guy who's been going to collage all his life and he has a degree in archeology. He knows I'm into detecting and he says it's against the law to remove anything from public property that's older then 50 years.
Our discussions
Me: "I'm going to GB park to do some detecting tomorrow."
Him: "Oh oh! Thats public property. Under the archeology act of blah blah blah section 123 bs bs bs, you're not allowed to remove any historical item over 50 years old."
Me: "Even if it's just a mercury dime or or a square nail?"
Him: "Yes. What I suggest you do is to take a picture of what you find and rebury it where you find it."
Me: "@#$% you I'm keeping what I find!"

Date: September 26, 2017 06:12PM
WOW! That's all I got to say about that!

Dang
And not only that...i work with a guy who's been going to collage all his life and he has a degree in archeology. He knows I'm into detecting and he says it's against the law to remove anything from public property that's older then 50 years.
Our discussions
Me: "I'm going to GB park to do some detecting tomorrow."
Him: "Oh oh! Thats public property. Under the archeology act of blah blah blah section 123 bs bs bs, you're not allowed to remove any historical item over 50 years old."
Me: "Even if it's just a mercury dime or or a square nail?"
Him: "Yes. What I suggest you do is to take a picture of what you find and rebury it where you find it."
Me: "@#$% you I'm keeping what I find!"

Date: September 26, 2017 06:31PM
Tell him to go dig up some dinosaur bones. 50 years ago was 1967...hardly historic by any stretch of the imagination. I guess next we won't be able to drive any cars that are more than 50 years old because they should all be preserved in wax instead.

Date: September 26, 2017 06:38PM
And what about all the coins that are currently in circulation that are older than 50 years...do we need to stop using those?

Date: September 27, 2017 07:05AM
Yup, take a picture of them and go out and bury them!!! LOL

Mcdetect
And what about all the coins that are currently in circulation that are older than 50 years...do we need to stop using those?

I found a Civil War Vets medal like that this year too
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: September 27, 2017 04:08PM
Awesome finds! One never knows what one is going to find till one finds them. Uh, yea.

Posted by: kschae4
Date: September 28, 2017 07:54PM
Great mix of finds....I hear ya, Dang. When I was visited family in the El Dorado Hills area I mentioned the desire to hunt the lake when levels were low. He echoed the same tired lecture you had to endure, too. At least I was able to score an old army knife or fork closer to Hwy 50....

Minelab Safari/BH Land Star/ Garrett Pro-Pointer
"Cause down the shore everything's all right"
Oldest identifiable coin- 1775 King George lll half penny
Most bizarre find: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?3,1835200,1835200#msg-1835200

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: September 30, 2017 01:21PM
Nice finds Mcdetect! I hope you find more goodies there! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Posted by: Sanderling
Date: October 20, 2017 11:14AM
Following up on Timwied and Dang's post I am a member and volunteer at our local historical society. They own an old building dating to 1916 and property across a former Indian trail which is now a paved roadway. I asked permission to detect the area across the road. There is an old horse fountain still there. Well, after a couple of months of discussion and bringing my request before the committee I was turned down flat. The reasoning was that if I found any artifacts of historical significance the site would have to be shut down and the state notified so that they could do a dig. I asked the committee chair what was the point in leaving things in the ground? His response was that items in the ground are considered "preserved".

Really nice finds Mcdetect. Betting it was a lot of fun hunting that old town. I used to live in Kentucky and I think that there are a number of drowned towns at the bottom of several man made lakes there. HH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login