Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Wow an SLQ quarter!
Posted by: Explorer.se
Date: October 24, 2017 12:45PM
Charles (Upstate NY)
Congrats!!! The last SLQ I found inland was dug with an etrac.

Thank you Charles, this was definitely on my bucket list looking forward to finding my first Indian! Maybe ill find it at the same place?

Date: October 24, 2017 12:46PM
Mkus
Nice find can’t see the date or mint mark?

Thanks Mkus yes I cant make one out either I will take it to the local coin dealer to see if he can decipher and will get back to you. I know I'm curious as well.

Date: October 24, 2017 12:50PM
DougF
Nice find - any date visible?

Thanks Doug, no not yet I will take it to the local coin shop to see if they can decipher I'm really afraid to clean her up I don't see a mint mark though. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks for watching!

Date: October 24, 2017 12:53PM
Elton
Curious..Why did you have to sneak out ..Nice find congrats....

Lol! You see I'm studying with my son to take the ASVAB test so he can go into the Air Force, he had to run some errands thus I was able to sneak a one hour hunt. Lol! Ill be so glad when he passes test then I'm back swinging more time!

Date: October 24, 2017 12:55PM
Thanks NiagraCounty! Oh yes I knew I was in for something good when I heard the sound. Gotta good reading both ways!

Posted by: Drakester
Date: October 24, 2017 02:03PM
Lucky dog lol. HH

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: October 24, 2017 04:07PM
Explorer.se
Charles (Upstate NY)

Thank you Charles, this was definitely on my bucket list looking forward to finding my first Indian! Maybe ill find it at the same place?

Indians being bronze can sound like a mixed, thick glob of coin/iron/soil mixed together. The more green and corroded they are the more glob like they sound. They do not sound like copper pennies. I dug some brass military buttons last night that ID about where Indians do, horrible sounding, tried to behave and sound like a rusty nail, plus soil mineralization, plus some coin tones. I almost didn't dig the first one. Take a shot on a few iffy signals that sound like that if they ID deep for your site. :thumbup:

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: October 24, 2017 04:12PM
Explorer.se
Hi guys sorry about the quality of the photo these are a little better. I still cant make out the year quite well. Don't know whether to clean it up. I kinda hate to for obvious reasons. Don't want to scratch her up.

Silver coins scratch very easily when trying to clean off the packed in dirt. What works really well are ultrasonic jewelry cleaners, the sound waves cause the dirt to go POOF in a cloud without scratching the patina/tarnish of the silver coin. Just don't use it on very thin coins like worn 3 cent silvers or on green coins like Indians. The really thin silver coins can crack (don't ask me how I know this doh!) and the layer of green corrosion on Indians can also fracture and break off around the coin edges.

Date: October 24, 2017 04:37PM
Drakester
Lucky dog lol. HH

Thank you Drakester, I just had it looked at by my local coin shop and they told me its a 1920 S. I'm totally stoked!

Date: October 24, 2017 04:49PM
Charles (Upstate NY)
Explorer.se
Charles (Upstate NY)

Indians being bronze can sound like a mixed, thick glob of coin/iron/soil mixed together. The more green and corroded they are the more glob like they sound. They do not sound like copper pennies. I dug some brass military buttons last night that ID about where Indians do, horrible sounding, tried to behave and sound like a rusty nail, plus soil mineralization, plus some coin tones. I almost didn't dig the first one. Take a shot on a few iffy signals that sound like that if they ID deep for your site. :thumbup:

Thank you Charles I definitely will, cant wait to get back out there! I will dig those sounding signals for sure, especially if they are deep. Also wanted to know Charles did you use your Explorer or Deus. The quarter is a 1920 S, that's what the coin dealer told me.

Date: October 24, 2017 05:24PM
I absolutely love finding the old coins, what a rush it is. I find rings and so on, but there is nothing like finding an old coin. Is that beauty a key date Explorer se? HH

Date: October 24, 2017 05:59PM
Charles (Upstate NY)
Explorer.se
Hi guys sorry about the quality of the photo these are a little better. I still cant make out the year quite well. Don't know whether to clean it up. I kinda hate to for obvious reasons. Don't want to scratch her up.

Silver coins scratch very easily when trying to clean off the packed in dirt. What works really well are ultrasonic jewelry cleaners, the sound waves cause the dirt to go POOF in a cloud without scratching the patina/tarnish of the silver coin. Just don't use it on very thin coins like worn 3 cent silvers or on green coins like Indians. The really thin silver coins can crack (don't ask me how I know this doh!) and the layer of green corrosion on Indians can also fracture and break off around the coin edges.

Good to know thanks for the info I think I will pass though Charles I just love looking at it in it’s current state. Boy just want to get back out there again and see what else I can dredge up! Thanks for the info!

Date: October 24, 2017 06:02PM
Drakester
I absolutely love finding the old coins, what a rush it is. I find rings and so on, but there is nothing like finding an old coin. Is that beauty a key date Explorer se? HH

Yes you are right Drakester it is a key date! It doesn’t get any better than that! I didn’t even bother considering if it was key date or not I was so happy to unearth it!

Date: October 24, 2017 07:04PM
That's awesome Explorer se congrats, I am still looking for a key dater myself. HH

Nice wowzer of a find!
Posted by: Tony (Michigan)
Date: October 24, 2017 07:41PM
What date is is?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login