Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Wow an SLQ quarter!
Posted by: Explorer.se
Date: October 24, 2017 07:49PM
Drakester
That's awesome Explorer se congrats, I am still looking for a key dater myself. HH

Thank you Drakester I appreciate it you will just keep swinging you will!

Re: Nice wowzer of a find!
Date: October 24, 2017 07:52PM
Tony (Michigan)
What date is is?

Thank you Tony! Yes its a 1920 S
! I'm I was soo surprised when I broke the pug and she fell out!

Posted by: Elton
Date: October 24, 2017 10:23PM
Yea.................... Thanks for the reply ..Wish him well and thank him for serving our country..:thumbup::usaflag:

Supporter Of Findmall Sponsors
Proud to be a findmall Moderator !

Date: October 24, 2017 10:48PM
No problem I will definitely let him know. Thanks Elton!

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: October 25, 2017 12:53AM
Explorer.se
Charles (Upstate NY)
Explorer.se
Hi guys sorry about the quality of the photo these are a little better. I still cant make out the year quite well. Don't know whether to clean it up. I kinda hate to for obvious reasons. Don't want to scratch her up.

Silver coins scratch very easily when trying to clean off the packed in dirt. What works really well are ultrasonic jewelry cleaners, the sound waves cause the dirt to go POOF in a cloud without scratching the patina/tarnish of the silver coin. Just don't use it on very thin coins like worn 3 cent silvers or on green coins like Indians. The really thin silver coins can crack (don't ask me how I know this doh!) and the layer of green corrosion on Indians can also fracture and break off around the coin edges.

Good to know thanks for the info I think I will pass though Charles I just love looking at it in it’s current state. Boy just want to get back out there again and see what else I can dredge up! Thanks for the info!

Dug them with my Se Pro, dug 2 more tonight its been dubbed the button honey hole.

Date: October 25, 2017 01:10AM
Charles (Upstate NY)
Explorer.se
Charles (Upstate NY)
Explorer.se
Hi guys sorry about the quality of the photo these are a little better. I still cant make out the year quite well. Don't know whether to clean it up. I kinda hate to for obvious reasons. Don't want to scratch her up.

Silver coins scratch very easily when trying to clean off the packed in dirt. What works really well are ultrasonic jewelry cleaners, the sound waves cause the dirt to go POOF in a cloud without scratching the patina/tarnish of the silver coin. Just don't use it on very thin coins like worn 3 cent silvers or on green coins like Indians. The really thin silver coins can crack (don't ask me how I know this doh!) and the layer of green corrosion on Indians can also fracture and break off around the coin edges.

Good to know thanks for the info I think I will pass though Charles I just love looking at it in it’s current state. Boy just want to get back out there again and see what else I can dredge up! Thanks for the info!

Dug them with my Se Pro, dug 2 more tonight its been dubbed the button honey hole.

That's awesome! Great going Charles! Keep digging em up!

Posted by: mcb613
Date: October 25, 2017 03:17AM
Exp, I too cant see much detail on the coin. I dont thibk its a cleaning issue, but more of a camera/user thingy.
Try to see if your camera has a Macro setting, that will surely mess you up when lenses is too close to object. Also, if you have a scanner on PC, maybe try that. A buddy always uses the scanner and it works great.
Hope that helps! Love the back on SQLs and older coins, reverse doesnt seem to get enough attention... cant forget our Eagle!
Take care and keep digging!

Posted by: mcb613
Date: October 25, 2017 03:24AM
Oh, one more thing... based on what you said, looks like you need to update your user name... I loved my etrac! Kinda wish I didnt jump to the CTX.

Posted by: Mkus
Date: October 25, 2017 07:41AM
You can buy silver cleaning cloths they work great

Posted by: Drakester
Date: October 25, 2017 08:43AM
Thumbs up HH

Date: October 25, 2017 02:49PM
mcb613
Exp, I too cant see much detail on the coin. I dont thibk its a cleaning issue, but more of a camera/user thingy.
Try to see if your camera has a Macro setting, that will surely mess you up when lenses is too close to object. Also, if you have a scanner on PC, maybe try that. A buddy always uses the scanner and it works great.
Hope that helps! Love the back on SQLs and older coins, reverse doesnt seem to get enough attention... cant forget our Eagle!
Take care and keep digging!

Thanks Mcb! I like that idea! I do have a scanner. I will give it a try, stay tuned! I was never the best in taking pictures, LOL! I will thus try to take a better picture. Thanks again!

Posted by: Tony (Michigan)
Date: October 25, 2017 07:07PM
Explorer.se
Tony (Michigan)
What date is is?

Maybe you should have it professionally graded?

Date: October 25, 2017 07:12PM
mcb613
Oh, one more thing... based on what you said, looks like you need to update your user name... I loved my etrac! Kinda wish I didnt jump to the CTX.

Oh I know what you mean I'm too lazy to change it, Ive always liked the word Explorer and my favorite SUV was a Ford Explorer. Lol!

Date: October 25, 2017 07:15PM
Mkus
You can buy silver cleaning cloths they work great[/quote

Oh ok Mkus, I did not know that, I am definitely learning more on how to clean the coin. This is something that I never had to worry about before Lol! Thanks for the info!

Date: October 25, 2017 07:18PM
Tony (Michigan)
Explorer.se
Tony (Michigan)
What date is is?

Maybe you should have it professionally graded?

Not a bad idea, thanks Tony. I cant wait to find me some more. Boy is this addicting once you do find something as beautiful as this quarter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login