Findmall.com

Other Hobbies Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Police scanner enthusiasts.
Posted by: Elton
Date: February 05, 2016 05:31PM
Be very careful when purchasing a new police scanner.

Many places on the net, and stores are selling scanners that will not work now. Or may soon not work in your areas. Analog is out. Digital is in...

Most, and by most, I mean many State, County, city agencies have switched over to the new specs required by US Government. Apco 25 I and II Phase and,,, and X2-TDMA systems...Marcs and Marcs IP.

Some still simulcast the old frequencies, and some may even decide to continue the simulcast. But it will be very few that do this.

A friend just spent $299.00 on an older model ( New In Box) scanner and he has limited to 0 pickup..... You too may be very disappointed if you buy from someone who does not care, or does not know what now works 100%... The stores just want to sell the in stock units so they are not stuck with them..

Check and see if your areas have switched to the new digital broadcasts..

Supporter Of Findmall Sponsors
Proud to be a findmall Moderator !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 10:02PM by Elton.

Re: Police scanner enthusiasts.
Posted by: ironsight
Date: December 31, 2016 06:31PM
I bought a Bearcat scanner maybe 30+ years ago, yeah it was all analog back then.
While it might be interesting hearing robberies, murders, wrecks, fires, etc.
All i ever heard were traffic stops. Not interested in hearing about other people's misery.

Date: December 31, 2016 09:39PM
Too each his own...as a former police officer I enjoy hearing the calls. Serves as a kind of keep me in touch sort of thing...

Posted by: ironsight
Date: January 02, 2017 10:00AM
Elton, i might of come off a little harsh. If you took it that way i apologize.

I have nothing but respect for police officers past and present, a job most can't or would not do.
Police need all the respect they can get especially these days.

Maybe if i lived in a large urban city like Chicago, the police calls would be a lot more interesting. They'd probably be non-stop.
Out here in the boonies the chatter was primarily traffic stops with an occasional prairie or barn fire thrown in.

I still have that old hand-held Bearcat somewhere but its useless today. Its a museum piece now along with a lot of my old electronics pack-rat'd away.
Just for kicks, think i'll try and find it and see if i can get anything on some of the channels.
It hasn't been powered up for at least 30 years though so i'm not expecting much.

I hear you ironsight ...........
Date: January 02, 2017 10:39AM
No..I wasn't offended at all.. I was only explaining from my point of view as to why I enjoy hearing the calls.....

I can only suggest in your situation.. Install a outside antenna with some height to it..for longer distance listening. I do admit that isn't ideal as it isn't your area of interest, or mine far far away..

It's a lot more interesting to scan the area department where you know the locations of the happenings.. Sorry if it seemed I was calling you Sir. Not my intention at ALL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login