Findmall.com

NEW Garrett ATX Metal Detector

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: ATX down for repairs.
Posted by: Ugly-J
Date: April 27, 2016 11:37PM
My ATX had the same problem so I called garrett. They wanted me to check the cable for damage and this is what I found in the lower end. New updated coil is on the way. Great service from garrett.

Posted by: denny
Date: April 28, 2016 01:28PM
Ugly-J
My ATX had the same problem so I called garrett. They wanted me to check the cable for damage and this is what I found in the lower end. New updated coil is on the way. Great service from garrett.
hurry up and get out there I'm getting all the gold! Just kidding.

Posted by: Atlas
Date: April 30, 2016 11:57AM
Update on my ATX:

Just got it back from Garrett 2 days ago. They replaced the coil and a few other things. Great service from Garrett :clapping:

Looking at the photo Ugly-J posted I think that silt and sand may filter into the inner shaft and then get trapped in that hinge area. Then when you move the coil back and forth it acts like sand paper.

My plan going forward is to leave the coil in hunt position and not flatten it out parallel to the shaft unless I'm traveling long distance. I may also be putting some stretchy sleeves over the cam locks when water hunting to keep the sand out. Maybe a bicycle inner tube.

Pictures of the new solid coils show the coil cable exiting the lower shaft at the hinge area and then looping back into the coil. I think this is a better design than having the coil cable do two 90 deg turns in the hinge area.

Tested the repaired machine in the park and it ran great. Hitting the lake tomorrow.

HH

Posted by: Ugly-J
Date: April 30, 2016 02:11PM
Atlas
Update on my ATX:

Looking at the photo Ugly-J posted I think that silt and sand may filter into the inner shaft and then get trapped in that hinge area. Then when you move the coil back and forth it acts like sand paper.

HH
Very little time on the the machine before the cable failed. One trip tp gold county and one 4 hour calm surf hunt (Kauai) and the next day it acted up. At the time I was disappointed it was acting up but I had my excalibur to save the day. Collected dust for 8 months (no gold hunts) and made the service call to garrett to get it fixed. Nice and clean in the shaft area , just a chewed up / bad cable. Garett service has always been top notch and they are always friendly .

Posted by: Luc
Date: May 03, 2016 07:57AM
Hi Atlas,

Up till now i never had electronic water problems with my ATX Hunting in the Baltic sea ,Only ones a few drops in the Battery housing even with silicon grease on the O rings
but the only frustration are this cam-locks even after a 3-4 hours hunt they blocked completely sometimes from the fine sand that gets in the cam locks on the flat sides this shaft has .
I ordered that tool but was not in stock in Europe !!!..???? so im waiting:drinking:

Date: May 06, 2016 01:59PM
Hi Luc,

I got the spanner wrench for the cam locks when I got the machine back from Garrett. Looks like it will do the trick. I know what you mean about the sand. My locks were getting sanded in on my first outing and I flushed with clean-clear water after my hunt. I think I'll be wrapping the cam locks with some plastic wrap or stretchy rubber sheeting or an inner tube and then zip tie or tape down when I take in the water. Kind of a pain but it would be quick to install and remove after a hunt.

Have you posted any of your Baltic Sea finds? I'd like to see what your finding.

Posted by: duane jones
Date: June 05, 2016 04:03PM
The coil cable on my Recon apparently dry rotted! It's shreded.not sure how to fix it.I bought it used so no warranty if anyone has any ideas I'd sure like to hear them. Tks...

Date: June 13, 2016 03:02PM
Maybe call Garrett and see if they have a replacement coil?

Posted by: WaterWalker
Date: July 09, 2016 11:46AM
Couple thoughts.
Spanner wrench from Garrett works well. There is a video on it's use on the Garrett web site.
I find it is best to open the cam locks when they are DRY. Be careful not to let the pins slip out of the two small hole on the cam lock nuts. There is a replaceable black pad in the assembly. Make note of how it came apart so you can put it back together again. I clean mine about every two months. Or 50 hours. I have tried Thermabands (trade name) to keep the silt out and they help, BUT the big tube opening under the arm rest lest the silt in anyway. I could not seal it off as the coil cable comes out and attaches to the control box at the same location. I also use a small 12V power washer to rinse the cams out after every use. And rotate them under running water. Two rubber strap grip wrenches can help in loosening a "frozen" cam lock. Be especially careful not to pinch the coil cable when collapsing the three piece shaft.

IF ANYONE has and ATX and HAS NOT watched the three videos on the Garrett web sit do it NOW! They are a wealth of general knowledge especially if you do no read instruction manuals.

Re: ATX down for repairs.N/T
Posted by: N7XW
Date: August 24, 2016 11:03PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login