Findmall.com

NEW Garrett ATX Metal Detector

Welcome! Log In Register
Threshold - Loud or Nothing - Is it me?
Posted by: flysar
Date: October 03, 2016 03:23PM
I can't seem the find that barely hum of a threshold on my ATX, it's either to loud or silent. It may be my ears but I dont have that problem with a knob style threshold. Has anyone addressed this with Garrett or is it just my ears?

Re: Threshold - Loud or Nothing - Is it me?
Posted by: saltwater jim
Date: October 03, 2016 07:11PM
Are you in salt water my threshold will be overidden my mineral sounds ie salt then i just slow down , the targets really come thru any misc noise jimmy

Posted by: flysar
Date: October 03, 2016 07:33PM
Freshwater. Most of my searching will be on freshwater beaches that make my CTX nearly useless.
I spoke with Rusty at Garrett and he said because it's digital it has no fine adjustments and I could adjust the headset volume to lower the threshold.
My concern with that is not hearing the smaller or deeper targets so I need to do some tests to compare which nets the smaller deeper/smaller targets:
- silent threshold (6.5) with headset normal volume (or)
- louder threshold (7) with lowered headset volume

Posted by: Syd BC
Date: October 04, 2016 01:06AM
I have the same experience in fresh water. The threshold is either silent or loud. I did some testing and found that for me, it was best not to turn the headset volume down, so I usually go with the louder threshold.

Posted by: WaterWalker
Date: October 05, 2016 03:52AM
In fresh water:
GB at water's edge
Try Auto frequency select
I find I can run between 6 and 8 with a slight threshold sound
Sensitivity to a maximum setting were I can tolerate the sensing of signals too small to find - some might call these signals falsing
I have the GG Amphibian headphones set to approximately 80% so I can increase the volume if needed, ditto with the ATX's volume
Resign to the fact that you are using a PI detector and it is near to impossible to set an ATX up to run with the constant threshold hum of a VLF detector.

Posted by: Desert Detective
Date: October 10, 2016 09:46PM
Interesting... I am about to upload my first vids to my YouTube Channel using my ATX... I am hunting in heavy mineralization, on desert sand next to freshwater, I was hunting on the Virgin River Sandbars today and I have total threshold control at a very slight hum... I was running at 12 sens and 7-8 threshold and it was giving a smooth, clear hum. I haven't tried it in the water yet.

KNOWN AS: Desert Detective. METAL DETECTORS: Garrett ATX w/Deepseeker, Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics T2 SE. GEAR: Hermit 34 Pick, Predator Tools Pearl Pick, Piranha Shovel Little Eagle Shovel, and the Original Side Digger, Garmin 64st Deep Canyon, GoPro Hero4 Silver and Pretty Much a Ton of Crevicing Picks, Tools and Hammers. TYPE OF DETECTING: Desert Detecting; Relics, Nuggets AND occasionally Coins HUNTING LOCATION TYPES: Desert, Wagon Trails, Lost Treasures, Gold Fields, Ghost Towns, Homesteads, Camp Grounds, Beach, Lakes, Rivers, Washes and occasionally Parks. EXPERIENCE: 1 Year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login