Findmall.com

NEW Garrett ATX Metal Detector

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: atx cable poor
Posted by: DrJoeprime
Date: December 11, 2016 09:57PM
Had mine replaced also after 15 months..Tremendous improvement in the detector!

A bit afraid now...if new cable craps out...

Joe

Posted by: shelton7522
Date: December 12, 2016 01:49AM
The best joke is that all infinium coils works with ATX and all AML - 100 Recon version too. But Garrett says : no ;)hahahahh

Posted by: Old California
Date: December 14, 2016 11:01PM
That hapened to my ATX and Garrett replaced the entire stock coil, this was recently.

Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Posted by: WaterWalker
Date: December 16, 2016 04:38PM
I believe if you look very closely at what you are calling cracks on the inside diameter of the coil, you will find that they are marks made when the wire was made to coil. They do look bad! Try this: Take a garden hose under pressure and wrap it around a shovel handle and try to coil it tightly and watch what happens. The cuts on the outside diameter look like they were made when pinched by the sharp edges of the collapsible shaft sections. I am not defending the situation, just explaining it. Garrett did replace my coil while under warranty. I have never received better service from any company I have ever dealt with. Try to get another manufacturer's detector sent in, repaired, and returned in 15 days! Garrett really does support the hobby and their customers.

Date: December 17, 2016 03:55AM
The issue is poor quality material. Cable should have silicone layer not plastic.

Posted by: beav
Date: December 17, 2016 10:45AM
WaterWalker,

I hear what you are saying, but in my case these are not "marks" made when the wire was made to coil.
Clearly as you can see in this picture of my cable, it is a break-down (deterioration) of the cables outer PVC black jacket that keeps the inside of the cable DRY.
There are not just "marks", but clearly 'rips'/'tears'/etc rendering the cable useless and not waterproof at all.

Beav

Date: December 17, 2016 10:59AM
The same like mine. Hard plastic cover, not rubber or silicone. Cheap material from China. For worth 2500 USD machine.

Posted by: denny
Date: December 17, 2016 12:56PM
shelton7522
The same like mine. Hard plastic cover, not rubber or silicone. Cheap material from China. For worth 2500 USD machine.
. Do blame china or any foreign country it's made in the USA. Bad quality control from Garrett.

Date: December 17, 2016 12:59PM
If its truly made into USA this is not good... ;)

Posted by: denny
Date: December 17, 2016 02:04PM
shelton7522
If its truly made into USA this is not good... ;)
I agree! I bought my ATX earlier this year and just recently checked my coil cable and it looked fine. Are users of the ATX with cracked cables collapsing their machines during transport or when not in use? Maybe. I never collapse any of my machines when transport or when not in use I like to keep coil tension the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2016 02:05PM by denny.

Posted by: ginos
Date: December 18, 2016 07:41AM
ok­ garrett­ is doing a­ good thing­ by replacing­ the plates­ under warranty­?­ after­ what will happen­?­ what­ amazes me is­ his silence­ about this issue­ because­ I believe­ that all the­ plates­ built­ so far with­ this type of cable­ will have problems­.­ since­ you pretend­ not to see­ them­ feel better­ that sells­ this­ metal­ and do not buy­ more­ products­ garrett­

Date: December 18, 2016 09:03AM
True, new coils has problem with cable too from box

Posted by: wayupnorth66
Date: December 18, 2016 01:17PM
Hi all
I just ordered the ATX. My question to you all with coil problems is.....do you think the damage is exclusively caused when extending and retracting the shaft?
Thank you

Date: December 18, 2016 02:55PM
Yes. Water, temperature, sand and wrong materisl

Posted by: beav
Date: December 18, 2016 06:48PM
I'm no chemist, but does anyone know if cured Fiberglass Resin (what the shafts are made of) attacks PVC material (what the cable jacket is most likely made of)??
My new coil has not seen one drop of salt water or sand or anything (actually it's NEVER been used), and it has come from the factory this way with cracks in the PVC jacket, so I don't necessarily agree that the coil is damaged extending or retracting the shaft - at least not in my case.

Beav

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2016 06:52PM by beav.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login