Re: atx cable poor
Posted by: shelton7522
Date: December 19, 2016 01:24AM
Interesting!

Posted by: denny
Date: December 19, 2016 12:25PM
beav
I'm no chemist, but does anyone know if cured Fiberglass Resin (what the shafts are made of) attacks PVC material (what the cable jacket is most likely made of)??
My new coil has not seen one drop of salt water or sand or anything (actually it's NEVER been used), and it has come from the factory this way with cracks in the PVC jacket, so I don't necessarily agree that the coil is damaged extending or retracting the shaft - at least not in my case.

Beav
I think extending and retracting will make it worse. Did you send your coil for replacement? If so I would send it back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2016 12:28PM by denny.

Date: December 19, 2016 12:33PM
MAybe we should spray it by silicone protecting layer spray? Or similar?

Posted by: beav
Date: December 19, 2016 07:10PM
I sent it for replacement once, at which time the dealer was told by Garrett that they would not replace it again even if it developed cracks in the cable. They would only honour one
replacement. The Garrett engineers stated that a cracked cable would not cause any issues even if it got water in it. Sorry, not buying that at all. I'm not to happy, but I can't do much now.
I have a brand new coil right out of the box with cracked cable jacket = leak path!

Beav

Date: December 20, 2016 01:31AM
beav
The Garrett engineers stated that a cracked cable would not cause any issues even if it got water in it.
Beav

What a @#$%&. Saltwater and cracked cable...

Posted by: an khe
Date: December 24, 2016 05:40PM
I bought a atx about 2years ago, I saw this post and took a close look at my machine. I looked at the stock coil it looked OK,but I also bought a 8 inch mono coil, that coil had some issues with cracks and damage. I called Garrett and sent it in, they replaced the coil. I got it back in about 10 days. I feel that I was treated right. Thanks Garrett for such good service. I think this machine is good in the right places. I also bought a at pro which is another good machine in the right places, As for cleaning the Atx, I will now, remove the coil from the machine after a hunt and wash the inside of the shaft and let the coil wire to dry out. I just got back from Florida, I wash it well, when I got back to the house, which was about 3days travel, I still had moisture on the coil wire. I think that might help with the problem, since I had it in salt water. OK,these are my thoughts on the coil wire problem. Happy Hunting to everyone.

Posted by: dmnz
Date: January 14, 2017 02:28PM
Would really love to know a solution! I have two ATX machines, both had warranty replacements for the cable once, now both "new coils" are showing signs of degradation in the cable. Meaning those coils can no longer be used in the water....

There has been cases of 'shaft damage' - this is not to be confused with cracking on the insides of the cable.

Actually, I have the 8" monos as well, also with the issue in the past.

I have made a straight shaft and are thinking about trying to 'heat shrink' over the entire faulty cable. I am 100% sure that if salt water gets into the cable it is "all over" for the coil, as one of the centre leads is 'open plain wire' which will corrode, harden and break. I actually pulled apart a faulty coil, and found salt deposits throughout the entire cable (wicking).

I do wonder if it is something in the shaft material causing the rubber to break down, as some, with minor use, are experiencing the issue.

Garrett has been fantastic warranty wise (no complaints there), but unsure how I will get on with another 'replacement request'!!!

Posted by: beav
Date: January 14, 2017 08:31PM
I still say it's incompatibility between the PVC cable jacket and something in the cured epoxy in the fiberglass...It could also start attacking when salt water gets thrown into the chemical mix and
stays in the hollow shaft in storage. Just thinking out loud.

Beav

Posted by: WaterWalker
Date: January 18, 2017 05:56AM
I have to agree with you your's looks nothing like mine, it looks like a manufacturing defect. I am sure garrett does not manufacture the cable. Poor Quality Control on both parties actions.

Date: January 18, 2017 06:37AM
True

Posted by: DetectorDetective
Date: January 18, 2017 10:50AM
WaterWalker
I believe if you look very closely at what you are calling cracks on the inside diameter of the coil, you will find that they are marks made when the wire was made to coil. They do look bad! Try this: Take a garden hose under pressure and wrap it around a shovel handle and try to coil it tightly and watch what happens. The cuts on the outside diameter look like they were made when pinched by the sharp edges of the collapsible shaft sections. I am not defending the situation, just explaining it. Garrett did replace my coil while under warranty. I have never received better service from any company I have ever dealt with.

There are plenty of companies with better service! ... All the ones who do better design or source better quality materials or do better QC during manufacture so customers don't see such issues in the first place.

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: January 23, 2017 04:54PM
I'll stick with my TDI PRO---5 years of Hard use and nary a peep.

Posted by: Old California
Date: February 04, 2017 09:09PM
i think it's the material used that's causing the breakdown, hsppened to both my 8" and stock coil. Garrett replaced the stock coil, Sold the 8" as is for a good deal to someone.

Never had issues with using them underwater with the cables having open wear, i read sonewhere Garrett mentioning this and it's true both my coils operated great even under water.

Eventually, sold my ATX and sure miss it. Currently, using my Recon with a different pi board, 10uS very sensitive. It would be great seeing Garrett coming out with a 10.5" centermount mono coil for the ATX, something slimiar to this coil on my modified Recon.

Recently, a local buddy and i went relic hunting with our Pi's. He was using his ATX, i was swinging the modifed Recon with 10.5" centermount mono coil. Was a fun hunt, especially with our pi's picking tiny pieces of musket balls.

Our vlf will ID these smaller pieces as iron, but the Pi's cut through the mineralzition with ease quickly responding to the mask signals.

If you can John, Or anyone pass this to Garrett. The 10.5" centermount mono is great both land or water. Gets great depth, and wades through water with ease.

Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2017 09:22PM by Old California.

Posted by: ginos
Date: February 08, 2017 05:34PM
In the end I decided to sell my atx at a low price. maybe one day when garrett decide to do a new version with reliable materials and not a tank. Maybe a metal with better quality materials. It's really more suitable for research in all environments and conditions. I will be very happy to come back to buy again garrett

Posted by: SoCalBeachScanner
Date: February 09, 2017 02:43PM
ginos
In the end I decided to sell my atx at a low price. maybe one day when garrett decide to do a new version with reliable materials and not a tank. Maybe a metal with better quality materials. It's really more suitable for research in all environments and conditions. I will be very happy to come back to buy again garrett

Been a while for me on this forum. But I agree with ginos ... sold my ATX almost one year ago.
You can't beat Garrett for the quality of the electronics, depth, and ease of use.

ALTHOUGH, as far as I'm concerned, Garrett can fire the Housing, Shaft, and Coil design team and start from scratch. I've had a love/hate relationship with my ATX from the moment I purchased one of the firsts units after the ATX was first released. Everyone knows all the reasons why the physical design is a total sand clogging, heavy swinging in/out of water boat anchor, and my old threads on this forum spell it out pretty good. Why they continue to design new coils for the housing of this thing is beyond my understanding.

I was lucky...a few months after my original coil was replaced under warranty because of falsing due to frayed coil wire... is when I sold it. Being I got a 30% discount off of retail price when it was first purchased, only took a 250.00 hit when I sold it. But that was only a hit on paper because the ATX found way more then what I paid for it.

HH to you all and good luck to this forum.

-
First I got Hooked on Metal Detecting ... Now I'm Addicted to Precious Metals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login