Findmall.com

NEW Garrett ATX Metal Detector

Welcome! Log In Register
Ground balancing
Posted by: stephenscool
Date: July 15, 2017 11:42PM
Have a new to me atx arriving tomorrow or the day after. I'm planning on factory reseting using the retune/turn on. How important is ground balancing? Is it something that must be done? Use a tdi here regularly and have never gb. Wetsand salt water. I will turn up the disc to 2 or 3 and reduce sens to 7 or 8... then frequency scan. Am I missing any steps here that will have a large impact?
Any preffered way of using the harness or just rig it up?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2017 11:46PM by stephenscool.

Re: Ground balancing
Posted by: John-Edmonton
Date: July 16, 2017 10:52AM
If I don't properly ground balance my ATX, it runs a but chatty, but I can usually still hear a shallow target. Give yourself at least 30 seconds of pumping the coil to the soil. I find that a temperature change to the coil from a warm car to colder water also requires another ground balance after about 15 minutes.

Posted by: Atlas
Date: August 02, 2017 04:57PM
I recently saw a video on youtube and the operator recommended not GBing the ATX on the wet salt. Turned machine on with coil in air then lowered coil to beach and let it autotune. Said machine went deeper this way. It was a comparison test and at max sensitivity the ATX was hitting a 16" dime with this setup.

I've never run mine at the ocean, only fresh water so I guess it eould be worth a try.

Posted by: stephenscool
Date: August 03, 2017 12:21AM
Will give it a try. With ground balancing I've found I've had to decrease sensitivity to 11 or so and up discrimination to at least 3 or 4. This isn't a highly minerlized beach. Still having difficulty distinguishing between a whisper and chatter.
Wil try the autotunr

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login