Findmall.com

Fossil Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Florida Gulf Fossils
Posted by: thE-TRACker
Date: November 29, 2013 10:02PM
These are some of my better beach finds I've eyeballed over the years while metal detecting. Notice the flint points and pottery shards in the lower left corner. There is also a hand forged brass ship spike and a couple large "dinosaur" bones . Enjoy and thanks for looking !

Re: Florida Gulf Fossils
Posted by: terry-cola
Date: November 30, 2013 10:07AM
Beautifull specimens you got there man! I will try to post my fossil pics too. This is so interesting, and specially the fact that you can do fossil hunting while coin detecting. Thank you and keep posting.

Posted by: mclucky
Date: December 02, 2013 07:29PM
Nice stuff....nice!!

Steve/central Il. "Luck" never hurts anything!

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: December 02, 2013 07:53PM
That brings back memories. When I was a kid, we would visit Grandpa and Grandma in Venice FL. Dad would take me walking along the beach and we found sharks teeth by the thousands, right after a storm was best.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Posted by: flinthunter
Date: December 03, 2013 09:41AM
Nice assortment of finds.

Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!N/T
Posted by: Elton
Date: January 24, 2014 09:52PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Supporter Of Findmall Sponsors
Proud to be a findmall Moderator !

Posted by: KinTN
Date: January 25, 2014 08:40AM
Larry (IL)
That brings back memories. When I was a kid, we would visit Grandpa and Grandma in Venice FL. Dad would take me walking along the beach and we found sharks teeth by the thousands, right after a storm was best.
Same here! My grand parents lived a block from the beach and I was old enough to go tooth hunting by myself everyday that we visited. Always got myself a nice xmas tan. Walked by the Barnum Bailey circus folks' practice lot on the way to the beach egress.
tracker's pic shows you should always keep your eyeballs pealed for surface finds while metal detecting.

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: January 25, 2014 09:18AM
I forgot all about the Circus winter home, that was awesome and the budgie parakeets were everywhere in the campgrounds but that was 50 years ago, seems to have been a health hazard. If I only knew what a metal detector was back then :biggrin: I don't remember anyone hunting the beach with a detector, just shell and shark tooth hunters.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Posted by: KinTN
Date: January 25, 2014 10:25AM
Same here- lots of wandering tooth hunters, but no detectors. This was in the early to mid 70's for me. I remember that there was some kind of bird that would eat the fermented red berries that were all over the place and fly/stagger around drunk (late Dec). Loved the fresh citrus. Now all those homes have been torn down and doctors offices built up.

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Posted by: jetapneiste
Date: April 28, 2014 03:07PM
Very nice collection thank you .

Posted by: auximenes
Date: April 28, 2014 09:08PM
I see a horse/bison/camel tooth, a soft-shelled turtle plate, a dugong rib, alligator scutes, and a bunch of puffer fish mouth plates. I only see one thing that looks like a turtle plate, but it's hard to be sure with the scale of the photo.

Teknetics Gamma 6000, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche digger, Molle II radio pouch, Summit Gear small bag.

Posted by: ChicagoJohn
Date: April 30, 2014 07:12AM
WOW! VERY nice! Someday I would love to look for shark tooth in Florida!

Posted by: Ground_Hog_MD
Date: May 07, 2014 12:19AM
Come on down and enjoy the sun, we have plenty of sharks teeth for you ChicagoJohn ...
St Augustine Fl ... H.H. my friend ... :smile:

Posted by: thE-TRACker
Date: October 19, 2017 05:58PM
Just found this 6"x4" turtle shell fragment after hurricane Irma. Looks like a piece of the the outer edge . Notice the scales.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login