Findmall.com

Rock & Mineral Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
ID this rock
Posted by: Sanderling
Date: March 08, 2015 06:57PM
Found this rock lying in the grass in St. Augustine, Florida. Looked out of place for that area. Thinking it might be chert. Anyone know?

Re: ID this rock
Posted by: KinTN
Date: March 11, 2015 09:25AM
Some form of microcrystalline quartz, so I agree with chert until more info comes in.
Nice quality photo, btw.

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Posted by: Sanderling
Date: March 12, 2015 09:17AM
Thanks KinTn. Using the green cloth backround really helps with the quality of the photos. I had sent this to a local college to the director of the rock and mineral museum, but she never responded. I did learn that chert comes in different forms with different appearances. Appreciate the feedback.

Posted by: KinTN
Date: March 12, 2015 07:52PM
Keep an eye open for gem and mineral shows in your area. They almost always have a table that will ID your stuff for you for free. ID'ing rocks with just a pic is pretty iffy.

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Posted by: Explorer
Date: May 30, 2015 03:36PM
Looks like chert to me! Quickly strike its thin edge across a hard metal file and it should throw sparks. Simple way to verify chert and its associate minerals.

"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living." and "Keep digging till you drop!"

Detectors.... V3i 6-2013, DFX 12-2005, Spectrum XLT (2015-for loaner) and Spectrum Eagle 6-1992 (retired).

Posted by: Dustinscottt
Date: August 13, 2016 10:55PM
Piece of Flint, been napped on the bottom edges. More than likely used as a scraper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login