Findmall.com

Rock & Mineral Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
I found this layered rock on a beach, what do you think?
Posted by: stratifiedroro
Date: August 19, 2017 10:47AM
Hi all, I just joined to get some info on this rock I found. It is stratified layers and showcases many layers of various thicknesses and materials. If there is a name given to rocks of this type please let me know so I can do further research. Thus far I haven't been able to find a similar specimen on google but again that is most likely my lack of proper search terms. Any Info would be greatly appreciated! I am especially interested in knowing if this rock would be worth anything.

Thanks!

Re: I found this layered rock on a beach, what do you think?
Posted by: Dave J.
Date: August 20, 2017 04:02AM
Looks like banded gneiss. The surface is smooth because it's been polished by beach action. If a broken surface has a grainy texture, it's gneiss. Otherwise it's something else.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/banded-gneiss-rock-high-res-stock-photography/565058911.

Date: August 20, 2017 09:42AM
Thanks for the reply Dave J, after looking at the images in the link you posted, i believe this rock to be something different. As I have learned after viewing the link, I have gneiss and shist on the beach where I found this one and this one is appears to be something different.

Date: August 20, 2017 10:05AM
The image is not very clear, but it is definitely layers of a variety of rock types

Posted by: Dave J.
Date: August 20, 2017 10:42AM
It's not unusual for gneiss and schist to be associated in a metamorphic complex. Your rock is obviously not schist. However I suspect that it is gneiss, and that what you are referring to as "layers of a variety of rock types" is actually banding of different concentrations of mineral types.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gneiss

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login