Findmall.com

Nokta / Makro Detection Technologies Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Brian, you mentioned a long-ago detecor model I enjoyed.
Posted by: Monte
Date: December 07, 2017 10:24PM
Cal_Cobra
I remember reading your Sovereign posts back in the day when I was using a Sovereign XS2a-Pro. Didn't you do a write-up on it using the WOT coil to clean out a particular park site?
Not a Minelab fan, even after owning several Sovereigns, Explorers and X-Terras, but you just mentioned my favorite Minelab model, the Sovereign XS2a-Pro I had with a modified '180' display. Used it mainly with the smaller coil, and for some applications it was a fun detector to have .... back then. The weight and balance got a little fatiguing, for me and my health issues, but it had its place and was a good 'fit' in my current detector line-up back then.

It wouldn't make-the-grade for me today, nor match the in-the-field performance I get from my Impact, Relic, CoRe or MX-7. It was nice to see that model mentioned in this advanced-detector era, however. Glad to know you once enjoyed the XS 2a-Pro as well.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Nokta - Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta - Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

You remember the Sovereign
Posted by: Rick(ND)
Date: December 07, 2017 11:43PM
The Sovereign that did so well for me was the XS with the 180 meter and the 8 inch coinsearch coil. I did a field test for Sun Ray on 3 different concentric coils for park hunting that worked great, at least the 8 inch and 12 inch that blew away a Explorer at a yard and did the test on the 12 inch Intruder coil that was impressive.
Many find it hard to believe but I did well with the XS and the coinsearch at 2 different well worked park since 1973 and was able to pick out very few new coin and quite a few deep old coins. The one that really impressed me was a Franklin half that had a big rusty bolt on top of it..
I am working this past year with the Impact and trying to learn it the little time I had and had just got the concentric coil when our winter came, so I got to wait to see what I can really do with it. I feel the Impact will be a keeper like my Sovereign GT.

Rick

Re: BUCKET LISTER!! LESS THAN 100 KNOWN!! $5 GOLD HALF EAGLE DUG!!
Posted by: cjc
Date: December 09, 2017 07:59PM
Wow--great job, Cal. Impact really has a nose for the gold.
cjc

Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: December 11, 2017 03:27AM
That Sunray Intruder was a great beach coil for me!

CJC the Impact definitely likes low conductors in 20kHz mode, dug a super deep V nickel, a nice Victorian gold ring in the midst of a sea of iron, and now this coin. My Makro and Nokta machines have easily paid for themselves several times over in the past couple of years of use :thumbup:

Posted by: Stoof-tabsallday
Date: December 25, 2017 11:33PM
Wow. That's awesome.
May have to take a trip to the west side of the country for sites capable of holding that type of find!!!
Michigan isn't too bountiful as of late.
One day I'll find one :-)
That is probably one of the best finds I've ever seen in my couple years detecting.
What a great end to 2017 for you.
I'll be out there come spring.

Stefan (Michigan)

Nokta Fors Relic 7x11", 5.5x10"DD, 5", 5.5x10 Concentric

Makro Racer 2 - 7x11", 5.5x10", 5" DD, 7" concentric

:tesoro: Mojave
:tesoro: Deleon - Troy shadow super 7",
:tesoro: Compadre 8
:tesoro: Compadre 5.75
:tesoro: Bandido II Micromax
:tesoro: Outlaw
:tesoro: Cibola- GB/all metal toggle mod
:tesoro: Vaquero
:tesoro: Cutlass Micromax 8

Lots of coils

*Not listed in any special order*

Tools:
Garrett carrot, lesche shovel, Killer B Wasps, my bare hands

3 chances
Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: December 26, 2017 08:47AM
Stoof you have 3 chances this year..............no more excuses, time to pack up your detector and head west :)

Here are the 2018 WTHO Dates and Locations so you can start planning now:

7th WTHO

Based out of Vale, Oregon

Thur. April 26th thru Sun. April 29th

Ghost towns to hunt include: ‘Lost’, ‘Lonesome Arch’ and ‘Lone Tree’

You are naturally welcome to arrive on Wednesday. Vale as at least one motel, and a pretty decent RV Park. If you plan to camp at or near the townsites we will be searching, ‘Lonesome Arch’ is the more accommodating for room for maybe up to three camp trailers or RV’s. We will be able to coordinate working any of the three locations with others who participate so as not to crowd just one site, and if you haven’t been there in the past, trust me, there is ample room to roam around detecting.

Last outing we also had a get-together at the Vale City Park covered picnic bowery on Saturday evening as some folks wanted to travel home on Sunday while others wanted to do some detecting. That meant heading back down to Vale just a little earlier on Saturday, but I’ll be down there early to make sure things are set-up for our picnic. It will also be a fun time for each of us to display some of the trash and treasures we find up to that point, share some relaxing discussion time, and introduce ourselves to others. Let them know where we are from, what detector(s) we use, how long we have been enjoying the metal detecting sport, etc.

For those who want to do more detect6ing on Sunday, we still have the three gold mining ghost town sites to visit, or Gregg Z. & I will maybe have one or two shorter-duration hunt sites closer to Vale.

8th WTHO

Based out of Wells, Nevada

Thur. May 17th thru Mon. May 21st

Ghost towns to hunt include: Cobre, Metropolis, Shafter, Tecoma, Toano and Tobar

Wells has several RV motels and a couple of RV Parks. Some might want to locate out of Montello for a day or so at their small motel to be closer to Cobre, Tecoma and Toano, but it is cheaper to stay in Wells for a motel or for food or for gas. I had considered starting this on Friday and stretching through Monday, but some participants can’t make both outings so I went back to Thursday as a start date. It is extended an extra day, however, for those who maybe plan to attend the 9th Outing in Tonopah and this will give us an extra day to search these locations before we make the drive south to Tonopah where, I am sure, quite a few people will be arriving on Wednesday or Thursday for their annual planned trip there. That would allow us to be close, then use Tuesday or Wednesday to make the travel from Wells opt Tonopah.

I know, I know … some are thinking we have hunted some of these towns on two trips in 2015, two in 2016 and once this year, and the others only on our last trip and the rainier one down there the year before. But once again, go back to the ahrps.org website and look back in the Relic / Old Site Hunting Forum and you’ll see reports of some really exciting finds folks have made from each of the towns on various outings in 2015, ’16 and ‘17.

As we did on the last trip here this year and plan to do in the future, we will have a group get-together on Saturday evening, the 19th, in Wells. The location will be announced to those who are attending. It will be a relaxing social time to have a picnic or dine out, to be planned, and we can get to know each other better and show off some of the interesting finds we have made to that point. It will still leave two more Outing days to add to our ‘keeper kollection’ before that Outing is over.

9th WTHO

Based out of Tonopah, Nevada

Thur. May 24th thru Mon. May 28th … which includes Memorial Day Weekend

Ghost town to hunt includes: The Tonopah ‘dumps’ and ???

If you enjoy ‘dump digging and screening’ then you’ll get a workout there. If you haven’t but want to learn from some experienced folks who do, you’ll certainly find some help and instruction there. If you only like metal detecting, well, there might be a lot of trash at the dumps, but it is a big area, spread out, and many people have had good success working their detectors, using a smaller-size search coil and a slow and methodical sweep speed.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites MXT & M6

Posted by: marcomo
Date: January 09, 2018 12:53AM
Brian, that is a jaw dropper...and a lifetime thrill that will come over and over every time you think about it! WTG!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: JASONSPAZ1
Date: January 18, 2018 09:58AM
Incredible!
Congratulations.

"If you walk away from a target still thinking of it,
then go back and dig it"

Metal Detecting in Massachusetts and New Hampshire for 30 years.
Merrimack Valley Metal Detecting Group on Facebook.

I currently use a Makro Multi Kruzer.

Posted by: BobOso
Date: January 24, 2018 12:56PM
Yes, great find, they are rare because only the rich would carry a $5 gold piece ,the average person felt rich if they had $1.

Posted by: BigTony
Date: February 11, 2018 01:19PM
Cal_Cobra, that is one hell of a find! Congratulations!
I am getting an Impact very soon and was just looking at this forum and had to reply.
Terrific find, congratulations again

Tony

'BigTony' says: "I am getting an Impact very soon." .. Monte says:
Posted by: Monte
Date: February 12, 2018 12:15AM
Congratulations on winning the Contest to get a FREE Nokta Impact. :clapping:

Just remember that a metal detector is only part of the hunting package and you'll need to be sure to have the search coil, or coils, to go with it for the types of site challenges you'll be taking on. I have thirteen detectors in my Regular-Use Detector Team with four of them being 'pairs.' That's just my personal approach to always being ready as I equip each of the two pairs with a different size and/or type search coil to fit different applications. That, I know, is a decision some other Avid Detectorist friends of mine use as well, but it will depend on a personals budget, how often they get out detecting, and how wide a range of site types and challenges they usually encounter.

Will you still have other detectors? Consider them, the coils you have, and how they will 'fit' in your detector line-up when considering accessory search coils. I have all but one of the search coils Nokta makes for the Impact, and for me and the sites I generally search and amount of ferrous debris and rusty tin I encounter, my favorite 'general purpose' search coil is the 7" Concentric that I keep mounted regularly. My 2nd favorite coil, used when the trashy environment gets very dense, is the round 5" DD coil. Then there will be times when I am only encountering a low-to-modest amount of trash, and the type of trash is mostly discarded iron nails, so I might opt for my 3rd coil favorite, the 5X9½ DD open-frame search coil.

Obviously, I do not use ONLY an Impact because I have an array of very capable detectors and have favorites among them for different applications or even for different comfort levels. For over a year now the Impact has been one of my favorites, and it continues to serve me favorably. In my working arsenal are also a Makro Racer 2 and a pre-production Multi-Kruzer and they, too, have their own plus and minus points for me, but the Impact offers some things they don't so it makes a great selection .. for me.

When you get the Impact and desired coil/s and put in the field time to learn it well, and that includes working with each of the available search modes to know their strengths for how you hunt and the conditions you'll face. I am certain you'll be very satisfied with your new device.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Nokta - Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta - Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 12:28AM by Monte.

Re: 'BigTony' says: "I am getting an Impact very soon." .. Monte says:
Posted by: BigTony
Date: February 12, 2018 06:29AM
Monte, I don’t want to highjack this thread (that is an awesome gold coin find), it deserves all the accolades possible.
Thank you for the congratulations, I can’t wait to get this cool machine. First off I will probably purchase the 5 inch coil and go on from there.
I currently use a Minelab Explorer II and love it. And yes I have many coils for that unit and it’s backup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login