Findmall.com

Nokta Detectors

Welcome! Log In Register
BUCKET LISTER!! LESS THAN 100 KNOWN!! $5 GOLD HALF EAGLE DUG!!
Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: December 05, 2017 02:33AM
Tom(CA) and I have been working a site that we researched and it's produced several 1850's - 1860's seated coins, and some rogue early 1900's coins, as well as a variety of period relics.

We tried to get one more trip in before Old Man Winter completely shut us down, and it did in fact shut us down, but not before I finally, got something I've been looking for for a long time, and after watching others find them over the years, I was starting to think it would never happen.

Well it finally happened, and it turned out to be a good one, an 1865 San Francisco minted Liberty Half Eagle!! Detected this with my Nokta Impact.

Here she is out of the hole:

Here she is rinsed off:

Here's a video of the hunt: https://youtu.be/SFyKr3MyOUk

Here's a bit of background on the coin from PCGS:

Less than 100 known, Mintage: 27,612

Although the mintage of the 1865-S is quite a bit higher than the mintages of the S Mint Half Eagles from 1858 to 1864, it compares in overall rarity to the 1858-S, 1860-S and 1863-S and is only slightly less rare than the others. Almost all known examples of this date are well worn with VF and lower being all one can expect to find. The 1865-S ranks second in the entire $5 series according to average grade and I do not know of a specimen that would grade better than EF. The very few specimens that I have seen were rather softly struck and the mintmark was always quite weak.

Thanks for looking, hopefully the next one comes easier :D

Re: BUCKET LISTER!! LESS THAN 100 KNOWN!! $5 GOLD HALF EAGLE DUG!!
Posted by: Chapy
Date: December 05, 2017 07:42AM
Beautiful find! Congratulations!

A huge CONGRATULATIONS !! :clapping:
Posted by: Monte
Date: December 05, 2017 08:01AM
Finding a gold coin is probably on everyone's Bucket List, and they don't come easily (unless tour name is Tom and you live in California). I stated detecting in March of '65 but didn't get to check a gold coin off my list until I got a $2½ in 1978. It took me 13 years to hit that mark. And now, 40 years later come next summer, I still haven't plucked another gold coin, with all the time spent in ghost towns and other early-day activity sites, I keep coming up dry when it comes to gold coins.

Good old times in California sure saw a lot of activity and much more exchange of gold coinage than many other states, and I envy the opportunities you have living down there with more potential. And now you've done it in a big way, too! Very nice find to help close out 2017. Way-to-Go!! :hot:

Monte

Naturally, some complements also go to Nokta for providing us such great detectors to get the job done. :thumbup:

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detector Team are from:
Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Additional search coils. mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.
Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using White's Pro Star w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Tools: Using White's Ground Hawg Shovel and DigMaster digging tools.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: GlenOK
Date: December 05, 2017 08:24AM
Awesome find! Congrats. :clapping:

Re: A huge CONGRATULATIONS !! :clapping:
Posted by: pan4au
Date: December 05, 2017 08:29AM
Beautiful coin WOW.. Congrats

Tn. TH'er
Minelab E-trac
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher 1266X
Fisher F75 SE
Garrett Master Hunter 7X
Garrett Freedom II Plus
Tesoro Cibola Gound balance modded
Garrett Pro Pointer II
Modded Cen-Tech pinpointer

Posted by: Charles(Sabre)(Tx)
Date: December 05, 2017 10:10AM
God surely smiled upon you with this find. I haven't found my gold coin yet. Absolutely beautiful find. Well done in its recovery!

Charles :usaf: :usaflag:

Posted by: dfmike
Date: December 05, 2017 11:03AM
I think I would have fainted. That surely ends the year with a serious bang. Congrats.

What ID did it give you on the Impact ?

Active detectors: Fisher F19 LTD, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer and way too many coils.
Previous detectors: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705, Fisher F5

Date: December 05, 2017 12:58PM
Thanks everyone, it was truly a surreal moment when I saw that golden reeded edge :clapping:

Now having seen Tom(CA) find three gold coins, any of them could've been located with a bounty hunter machine too (shallow, easy 4-way, five star signals), but he seems to be a gold coin magnet for sure. Of course hard work and location factor into the equation, but still all things being equal, he's one lucky S@B :crazy:

DFMIKE - I was running the Impact @ 20kHz, Di3 mode is my prefered detecting mode, and it was a beautiful, pure sound, and no matter what direction I swung the coil the TID of 64 did not waver even one number. In hindsight the pure audio and unwavering TID was a big clue that I was about to dig something good, but at the same time, I cannot tell you how many times I've had a good sounding target around the same TID range that turned out to be a shotgun butt :rant:

Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: December 05, 2017 03:17PM
Congrats Brian, WOW !!! what a coin. :smile:

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites MXT & M6

Posted by: RANDY CONNELL
Date: December 06, 2017 10:28AM
outstanding congratulations

Posted by: cladcanada
Date: December 06, 2017 11:17AM
Congrats, thats a beauty!

is the impact screen red or is it my eyes?

Posted by: Rick(ND)
Date: December 07, 2017 12:29AM
What a great find that you will remember this find and right to the spot the rest of your life.
A gold coin is the dream of many with only few that actually find one, I havent in my 45 years of detecting.

Beautiful coin

Rick

Sovereign GT
soon to be added the Minelab Equinox 800
Noka Impact Pro
Timberwolfs HP for the Sovereign
Uni Probe For The other detectors
Got the detectors, just need time to use them

Date: December 07, 2017 01:41PM
cladcanada
Congrats, thats a beauty!

is the impact screen red or is it my eyes?

Thank you and yes the screen is red :thumbup:

Date: December 07, 2017 01:46PM
Rick(ND)
What a great find that you will remember this find and right to the spot the rest of your life.
A gold coin is the dream of many with only few that actually find one, I havent in my 45 years of detecting.

Beautiful coin

Rick

Thanks Rick, as far a memorable, it ranks right up there with my first silver coin, first seated coin, first morgan dollar and first silver reale, you don't forget those finds. Fortunately I was able to capture this memory on video, so when I'm older and perhaps not as able to detect as I am now, I can relive the experience :detecting:

I remember reading your Sovereign posts back in the day when I was using a Sovereign XS2a-Pro. Didn't you do a write-up on it using the WOT coil to clean out a particular park site?

HH,
Brian

Posted by: Elton
Date: December 07, 2017 03:46PM
WOW, WOW, WOW ..........:yikes:

Supporter Of Findmall Sponsors
Proud to be a Forum Administrator !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login