Findmall.com

Makro Detectors Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
"Land with history on it" is exactly where I have been hunting for fifty-three years.
Posted by: Monte
Date: December 31, 2017 08:28AM
Low-Boy/LCPM
I think what I would like to do with you guys is when someone has land that has history on it, pay and hunt. There is a person back east that does the same thing and I have some great relics from the civil war that I would not find it good old Calif.
I have put in time working wide-open areas in the past when trying to isolate specific areas where there was human activity and only a general area was referred to, which required ample time to cover an area to find the specific location. Most of that was done when I was younger and healthier and could use larger-size coils for coverage on heavier detectors than we use today.

Most of the old ghost town sites we hunt on our WTHO's are known to exist, but are not the photographic types of old places with a lot of standing buildings and scenic stuff for photographs. Instead they are easily driven past and look like this gold mining era townsite that got started in 1863/64:

This is looking down at the site of 'Lone Tree' which is one of my assigned names and not the actual name of the townsite.

And if you look above the pickup, over the hill and down into the draw near the dark tree/bush, you would be very close to where Ray S. made his great find on our 6th WTHO this past June, which is a CW Era military buckle shown here (after being cleaned up):

Often I will rename sites I like to hunt so I don't spread the word of where I go. Sometimes a name has no physical reference to indicate the site, such as my all-time favorite Utah ghost town I named 'Twin Flats', or one of our Oregon Outing ghost towns we call 'Lost.' Other times there might be a give-away to the site, such as another Outing site for our April WTHO I call 'Lonesome Arch' which was derived from the old stone arch that remains as shown here in a photo by Vern B.:

Here's another photo, taken by Oregon Gregg, of the wasteland of what was one 'Lone Tree', although from this angle you can't see the lonely standing tree from which we based out new title.:

Every site we arrange for out annual outings has had some significant 'history' associated with it, as I said before it's usually Railroad activity, or Gold Mining Era activity , and in some cases they were settlements that tried but just didn't succeed. There are all closer to you than making a trek 'back east' and there is no pay-to-hunt requirement. Some of the old townsites we hunt in Nevada I have been visiting off-and-on since '86 and through the years many other recreationalists have traipsed around withy detector in-hand doing what they could to try and find a keeper or two. And some locations, like those pictured, are places I have been hunting the past couple of years, with 'Lonesome Arch', the most known about and detected, being one I have been to a few times back to 1987.

I know a few people in the past who paid for a couple of those 'back east' CW Era hunts, only to realize after the fact that they were period finds, but they were also 'salted' at the location. No, they are not all like that, but there have been a couple of stinkers who found a way to make some $$$ off of them. It can happen anywhere, but our open-to-anyone / no-charge, come on out and have fun WTHO's are truly adventuresome Outings to enjoy.

June was a nice outing for Darby H., too, who made these recoveries, mainly from 'Lone Tree':

And at that time he had only been detecting for two years and had found a silver Barber Dime and a silver Seated Liberty Dime. You can imagine his surprise when he recovered this nice 10ยข piece at 'Lone Tree':

So, you and others who might be wondering what types of sites we hunt and what sort of success we might enjoy on our WTHO's, this was just a hint of our last Outing, WTHO #6, here in Eastern Oregon. Why not make plans to join a great groups of detectorists from several states and have some fun next year? 2018 starts tomorrow so make your plans now for any or all of the three upcoming Outings. Just e-mail me to get on the Contact List.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detector Team are various models from: Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Tools: Using White's Ground Hawg Shovel and DigMaster digging tools.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Other models on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils. mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Lone Tree
Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: December 31, 2017 09:56AM
Here ya go Monte, a picture of the "lone tree". :smile:

My last find for 2017 came from Lone Tree an 1867 Type 1 shield nickel. Got it with the Fors CoRe and new 9.5" x 5" coil. Looking at all these pics is sure making my cabin fever a lot worse :sadwalk:

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites MXT & M6

Re: MAKRO RACER UNDERWATER
Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: December 31, 2017 07:28PM
and this is where I found my 1865 Dime on the last WTHO hunt.

Arizona
42 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Makro Multi Kruzer
Makro Racer 2
White's DFX x 3
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT

Tom, I am sure 'Lone Tree' has more just waiting to be found,
Date: December 31, 2017 10:00PM
as well as 'Lost' and 'Lonesome Arch.' Are you planning to make it to the April WTHO here in Eastern Oregon?

All the best of success in 2018!

Monte

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

My Regular-Use Detector Team are various models from: Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star w/'tank style' ear cups.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Additional search coils. mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

(503) 481-8147

Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: December 31, 2017 10:04PM
Cabin fever, a phenomena foreign to most west coasters :)

Re: Tom, I am sure 'Lone Tree' has more just waiting to be found,
Date: December 31, 2017 10:17PM
Lol, I suppose so but there is also a lot of other phenomena that goes on in that "west" coast that is foreign to us.....at least on the Eastern side of Oregon. So Brian ya gonna get up here in Eastern Oregon around end of April and join us

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites MXT & M6

Date: December 31, 2017 10:25PM
Hey what's happens on the west coast, stays on the west coast - lol

I'm going to try to get to the Eastern Oregon outing, definitely will be at the Tonopah outing. I need to get retired so I can make all the outings - lol

Date: December 31, 2017 11:01PM
Ya got about 3 and half months to get retired

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites MXT & M6

Brian, looking forward to your participation!
Date: January 01, 2018 01:19AM
If there's a gold coin in any of these old Oregon townsites, you might be the one to find it the way your recent 'good luck' has been going!

All the best in 2018!

Monte

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

(503) 481-8147

Re: Brian, looking forward to your participation!
Date: January 03, 2018 03:50AM
Monte
If there's a gold coin in any of these old Oregon townsites, you might be the one to find it the way your recent 'good luck' has been going!

All the best in 2018!

Monte

It's amazing, the harder I work, the better my luck gets :thumbup:

Well I know I'll be joining you guys on at least one 2018 outing...hopefully two....we'll see :shrug:

Date: January 03, 2018 03:52AM
The MD Hunter site is stating that the water-proof Racer 3 will be multi-frequency :thumbup:

http://md-hunter.com/underwater-makro-racer-3-new-2018-first-photo/

Re: Brian, looking forward to your participation!
Posted by: Low-Boy/LCPM
Date: January 03, 2018 10:45AM
I like to call it skill!

LowBoy {IMPACT, RACER, DEUS, VISTA GOLD GAIN, EQUINOX 800 COMING SOON}

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCvc8PTSRYKKi4hdGpSonlA

Posted by: Low-Boy/LCPM
Date: January 03, 2018 10:48AM
I'm betting no on that....but a new flagship in the near future I would say yes...No other company has really taken the next step forward. They make the machines better but I would think the impact will be replaced with a top of the line machine. And they don't have to play catch up but make the next move that no one seems to be taking....just my thoughts. We do have some impressive detectors out there that are fast and great in iron but there has to be something new coming that a lot of us will want to have?

LowBoy {IMPACT, RACER, DEUS, VISTA GOLD GAIN, EQUINOX 800 COMING SOON}

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCvc8PTSRYKKi4hdGpSonlA

Posted by: mrsspk
Date: January 05, 2018 05:12PM
Since the Minelab Equinox is a multi frequency water machine I will bet the next thing coming from Makro/Nokta would also be a waterproof multi freq machine. Not going to get much fanfare if your product does not at least offer what the others guys does already.

Date: January 05, 2018 05:25PM
Some of us just like a good simple/great performing single freq machine. I hope they don't go all Frankenstein on the Racer series and start doing the multi freak stuff to it.........save that for the Nokta machines. :smile:

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites MXT & M6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login