Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Batteries are sealed
Posted by: laplander
Date: November 12, 2017 07:23AM
jerry123
If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined. Lithium-ion batteries age. They only last three to four years, even if they are sitting on a shelf unused. So do not "avoid using" the battery with the thought that the battery pack will last five years.

1st lets make this perfectly clear I'm not a battery "engineer/designer/expert" I'm not sure how the battery could become completely discharged if the detector shuts of automatically when the voltage drops below "normal" operating levels

As to other concerns about battery life my original ctx batteries although not sealed are still going strong "10 hour hunts" after 5 yrs of use.

The sealed aspect hasn't stopped me or anyone else from buying another major brand of detector so I don't think it will make any difference in the Big picture.

Just my 2 cents worth!

HH Jeff

Posted by: NorCalGold
Date: November 12, 2017 09:16AM
My guess is that Minelab will sell a propitiatory battery pack with perhaps new seals for the compartment door at the base of the handle. Since the batteries should outlast the warranty period, Minelab would not be of the hook for the replacement of those batteries, or, any leaks that occur after the battery replacement due to faulty seals/installation errors. I doubt Minelab will require service for this, but we will see....

Posted by: nalc472
Date: November 12, 2017 09:34AM
When The battery fails i will take mine apart. I do not do any water hunting so it would not be a problem for me.

Statement from Minelab about the battery.
Posted by: Dan(NM)
Date: November 12, 2017 07:35PM
jerry123
Don't like the batteries being sealed . Will have to send in to have them swapped out when they start to fail.

This was a response from Minelab on You-Tube, to a guy asking about the battery. Straight from the horse's mouth!!

Minelab Metal Detectors
2 days ago
Hi Shane, we'll have more info on battery care and maintenance in the EQUINOX Instruction Manual. Rest assured, this has been tested extensively and is expected to exceed the detector warranty period for typical use. Yes, the battery can be easily replaced. Also, you can plug in a standard USB power bank and run the detector from that while the internal battery is charging. Regards, Minelab.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: November 13, 2017 08:59AM
yep a closed battery not replaceable by the user is not going to help the user or minelab and if it is sealed we will work it out ctx battery was a pretty easy fix.

AJ

Posted by: DigDeepNow
Date: November 15, 2017 03:59PM
Jason in Enid
Batteries have advanced by huge margins in the last decade. They no longer develop charge memory, hold a lot more power, and can go through thousands of discharge and recharge cycles while still maintaining 90% of original battery life. What is the bigger problem here, a battery failing after 3, 4, 5 years or water intrusion destroying the battery packs because users don't take the time to properly clean o-rings and channels? Anyone who has followed the CTX already knows the answer to that!

Good point....

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: November 16, 2017 10:30AM
IMO id take a look at the charging point as a possible issue in salt water. We will see.

CTX, Blue Xcals
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Posted by: Hello
Date: November 16, 2017 02:10PM
i take it that's why the battery is completely sealed on the equinox to make it fool proof, otherwise if it was like the ctx people would keep returning them under warranty costing the company money I don't think they had much choice

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2017 02:17PM by Hello.

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: November 16, 2017 06:54PM
dewcon4414
IMO id take a look at the charging point as a possible issue in salt water. We will see.

The charging point is sealed. It uses induction charging, which is basically the same as the metal detector. The charger is held in place by magnets, it emits an electrical field when charges a coil in the detector. That charge is then transferred into the batteries. No physical connection, no seals, no leaking.

Posted by: Ksdirt
Date: November 16, 2017 08:25PM
seems like they got it goin

Posted by: Nuke em
Date: November 17, 2017 12:58AM
NorCalGold
I was on YouTube reading the comments about the Equinox promotional video that was just released and this was the response from Minelab to someone who asked "how many times you can charge the lithium ion battery before it needs replacing thats if it can be replaced ?"?

Minelab Metal Detectors
1 day ago
Hi Shane, we'll have more info on battery care and maintenance in the EQUINOX Instruction Manual. Rest assured, this has been tested extensively and is expected to exceed the detector warranty period for typical use. Yes, the battery can be easily replaced. Also, you can plug in a standard USB power bank and run the detector from that while the internal battery is charging. Regards, Minelab.

Good to know the battery can be changed . That would put me off buying if it couldn't be.

Uses = Minelab E.Trac , Minelab Explorer 11 , Minelab Explorer XS , Minelab Equinox 800 (ordered) , Minelab Equinox 800 (order late 2018 ) , Garrett Probes , Gray Ghost/ Nugget Busters

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login