Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Official Words from Minelab regarding EQUINOX battery
Posted by: Digger
Date: November 17, 2017 05:14PM
11/17/2017

I'm not an official from Minelab. But I've been asked to share these"official words" with forum members:

“The Li-ion battery in the EQUINOX detectors is easily replaceable. Minelab has not yet released official information as to whether or not a user can change the battery over without voiding warranty or if we recommend the battery is changed by a dealer or service centre. Further information about battery care and maintenance will be provided in the EQUINOX Instruction Manual, which has not been released yet. This will be available when the product is available. The EQUINOX detectors are not designed to run from AA batteries. However, you can use a standard USB power bank (as you do with mobile phones) to recharge the built-in battery and operate the detector at the same time.”

You'll never know for sure......unless you dig it! HH "Digger"

After more than 46-years of detecting, and having owned dozens of different detectors, I've come to the conclusion that maintaining success in the field is largely dependent on three things..... choice of site, acquiring a proper skill set for the detector and the detector itself..... in that order. Research, practice and persistence. There are no substitutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2017 05:15PM by Digger.

Re: Official Words from Minelab regarding EQUINOX battery
Posted by: Nuke em
Date: November 17, 2017 06:24PM
Thats good enough for me . Thanks for the info. Thats both my main boxes ticked . Battery and salt wet beach .

Uses = Minelab E.Trac , Minelab Equinox 800 , Minelab X.Terra 705 , Garrett Carrot , Minelab 35 , Gray Ghost/ Nugget Busters

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: November 19, 2017 07:17PM
That’ll sure work for me. I’m assuming the battery will last all day at least anyway,but being able to hook up the power bank is added security “just in case”. I do the same with my GoPro which has the same setup. Thanks Randy!

Posted by: horikindaguy
Date: November 23, 2017 05:07PM
thanks Randy and how is it using the new Equinox?

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: November 24, 2017 05:40AM
Sooooooooo that basicly says........ML wont say if we have to pay for it to be replaced........until AFTER its released? Kind of something id like to know....... as well as if the battery is covered for the full warranty period IF i cant change it. Hours labor is a $100 bill. Seemed like a simple question didnt it....lol? Thanks for passing this on thou.

Dew

CTX, Blue Xcals
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Date: November 24, 2017 06:13AM
dewcon4414
Sooooooooo that basicly says........ML wont say if we have to pay for it to be replaced........until AFTER its released? Kind of something id like to know....... as well as if the battery is covered for the full warranty period IF i cant change it. Hours labor is a $100 bill. Seemed like a simple question didnt it....lol? Thanks for passing this on thou.

Dew

Like the deus it will be covered in warranty I would of thought. The deus warranty is 5 years compared to the standard minelab .
Anyway the battery is not my main concern, its more the beach salt capability. Must have test videos.

Uses = Minelab E.Trac , Minelab Equinox 800 , Minelab X.Terra 705 , Garrett Carrot , Minelab 35 , Gray Ghost/ Nugget Busters

Date: November 24, 2017 09:33AM
Id be worried too since i see you pre ordered 2. I never assume anything with ML......BUT i suspect they learned from the CTX. Im betting there is two screws at the bottom of that handle once its removed. If its covered by warranty....... sounds great. I have to say, ive not had a lot of ML battery issues as far as them going south. Batteries have a shelf life..... lot can happen.

CTX, Blue Xcals
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Date: November 24, 2017 10:00AM
dewcon4414
Id be worried too since i see you pre ordered 2. I never assume anything with ML......BUT i suspect they learned from the CTX. Im betting there is two screws at the bottom of that handle once its removed. If its covered by warranty....... sounds great. I have to say, ive not had a lot of ML battery issues as far as them going south. Batteries have a shelf life..... lot can happen.

Ordered but not paid for . That happens when i see the machine in the shop . When ever that is ??
I am not worried about the battery . I will use the first machine and keep the other as back up , its the same as i do with my FBS . My ET will come out of the box and be backed up by the Explorer XS which is absolutely unused from 2000 ! (bought secondhand) . My Explorer 11 will be sold .
If the battery needs replacing then it will be , hopefully not before its done its duty . I detect around 90 times a year on the beaches and maybe a few times on land . The batteries should last many hundreds of charges . I will be watching the battery life . I average around 4 hours on a search . I would have preferred a better battery life of 20 plus hours , hope they aren't cheapy Chinese rubbish batteries ?

Posted by: coherent
Date: November 24, 2017 11:02AM
Like everything else now days, I'm sure reasonably priced aftermarket batteries and instructions on how to change it will be common by the time the warranty runs out. If ML is smart they will be selling them for a reasonable price and providing the instructions or offering replacement services at a cost that isn't a huge chunk of what the original machine cost... The positive side is battery technology has come a long way in the last few years and they are lasting longer and longer.

Posted by: Normx2
Date: November 26, 2017 07:57AM
It's always easy to understand all the excitement about a new detector because of all the stuff that was found by old detectors.

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: December 01, 2017 08:19AM
I know that most of the backup USB power sources were designed for small items like cell phones and probably would be a very short lived power for a metal detector. I spoke with one of the top aftermarket detector battery makers and they are going to look into making a battery backup specifically for the Equinox. Lets hope this comes about!

Date: December 01, 2017 08:26AM
Is that RNB?

Date: December 01, 2017 11:20AM
Nuke em
Is that RNB?

I'm not going to say who until something solid comes about. The company may look into it and decide that its not a feasible project.

Date: December 01, 2017 02:48PM
Im not concerned about changing a good battery. Im waiting to see if we can do a fix... if it voids the warranty... how long battery warranty is..... and if ML does it how deep are they getting in my pocket for this EASILY REPLACABLE process.

CTX, Blue Xcals
D. Meeker

Date: December 01, 2017 05:58PM
dewcon4414
Im not concerned about changing a good battery. Im waiting to see if we can do a fix... if it voids the warranty... how long battery warranty is..... and if ML does it how deep are they getting in my pocket for this EASILY REPLACABLE process.

If you were responding to my post, that wasnt about battery replacement, it was about a USB backup power source.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.