Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Official Words from Minelab regarding EQUINOX battery
Posted by: jas415
Date: December 14, 2017 06:52AM
This may sound a bit dumb, but I was going to get a large franchise battery chain store to change out my 3030 batteries in the rechargeable pack and was refused as the model and size were not commercially available. They told me that if they replace a Li-on battery it must be the exact same model, size, etc., or they have a huge liability and legal issue with the FCC or Fed Gov. Seems there are lots of regulations regarding li-on batteries so they dont get mismatched stuff and explosions. Anyway, that may well be one of the many reasons the batteries are sealed and must be done by a dealer.

Posted by: Ytcoinshooter
Date: December 23, 2017 05:33PM
Here's one consideration re Li-ion batteries. Unlike NiMh batteries Li-ion Are affected by low temperatures, something to watch for those hardy detectorist braving winter or cold water <50°. I could mention a number of examples but the most prominent in my mind is the trend happening with motorcycle batteries. The Li-ion have shown that they have issues starting a motorcycle under 40°. Forget the news stories of enfuego Li-ion batteries. One incident like that with a metal detector could kill sales. Poof! Can you imagine that happening in your vehicle trunk or cargo area, your home or? Will we be able to travel by air with these Li-ion equipped EQ's? It's probably no issue, the CTX has this type of battery. Ok, I'm rambling :wiggle:...
Im on board hoping the initial release will show its ready for market.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: December 29, 2017 02:54AM
jas415
This may sound a bit dumb, but I was going to get a large franchise battery chain store to change out my 3030 batteries in the rechargeable pack and was refused as the model and size were not commercially available. They told me that if they replace a Li-on battery it must be the exact same model, size, etc., or they have a huge liability and legal issue with the FCC or Fed Gov. Seems there are lots of regulations regarding li-on batteries so they dont get mismatched stuff and explosions. Anyway, that may well be one of the many reasons the batteries are sealed and must be done by a dealer.

just grab 4 of the same 18650's off @#$%& , get brand name ones Panasonic's etc.. pull the holder apart and put them in the way they came out. I seen inside the pack and it took an hr. a soldering iron is needed.

laptops have had these battery's in them for as long as laptops have been around , now the slimline's are going lipoly ..

no need to fear them, pack I repacked going strong 3 years latter..

AJ

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: January 05, 2018 05:03AM
Come on guys......... we shouldnt have to redesign/mod a new detector before its even out.....nor should you have to carry extra methods of charging for a NEW machine. I willl miss not being able to rotate my batteries...... BUT i dont plan on doing anything with what i have. ANY machine now days should give us at least 8 hours of quality hunting EVERYDAY.

Dew

CTX, Blue Xcals
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Posted by: Nuke em
Date: January 05, 2018 07:04AM
I detect through the night on beaches. I need more than 12 hours at times. 20 hours would have made it much better.

Uses = Minelab E.Trac , Minelab Equinox 800 x 2 , Macro Multi Kruzer , Garrett Probes , Gray Ghost/ Nugget Busters

Date: January 19, 2018 05:04AM
It is what it is now........ but im hoping RNB might step up on this issue for us. Got to love their batteries and chargers. Or maybe they will design a WATERPROOF attachment for recharging.

CTX, Blue Xcals
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Posted by: pasttom
Date: January 19, 2018 03:43PM
I love my RNBs. I don't see the problem here though. You can charge from the car, nice. I do believe I read you can use a portable battery storage/phone rechargers AND keep hunting while it is plugged in! Not perfect, but better than any one else is offering.

Pastor Tom
An E 800 and several obsolete units
Excavations by my Corgi, Sadie

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: January 19, 2018 04:19PM
pasttom
I love my RNBs. I don't see the problem here though. You can charge from the car, nice. I do believe I read you can use a portable battery storage/phone rechargers AND keep hunting while it is plugged in! Not perfect, but better than any one else is offering.

Its a better option than you get from a DEUS with a flat battery.

Date: January 20, 2018 05:41AM
Tom........ MOST you can charge from a car now days. But if it takes 5 hours to charge the the battery is a fairly large mah battery....... or thats one slow charger. We will just have to see how well they last....... especially after a year of my use. BUT..... i will say ML seems to use pretty good rechargeables. Even my ole blue 700 mah would run 4 hours before i decided to upgrade. I think its more tech...... its changing fast new gets old faster. You can bet one of us will come up with a way to add a battery thats water proof. I saw Steve H already had a fairly large battery for his attached behind the cuff for gold hunting.

Dew

CTX, Blue Xcals
D. Meeker

Posted by: pasttom
Date: January 20, 2018 10:34AM
So much fuss about this. I remember going crazy buying 9v batteries like crazy not too long ago. I like Lithium and I ain't Li-on!

Pastor Tom
An E 800 and several obsolete units
Excavations by my Corgi, Sadie

Posted by: laplander
Date: January 20, 2018 12:27PM
pasttom
So much fuss about this. I remember going crazy buying 9v batteries like crazy not too long ago. I like Lithium and I ain't Li-on!
That's a good one :clap:

Posted by: BobOso
Date: January 24, 2018 12:52PM
dewcon4414
Tom........ MOST you can charge from a car now days. But if it takes 5 hours to charge the the battery is a fairly large mah battery....... or thats one slow charger. We will just have to see how well they last....... especially after a year of my use. BUT..... i will say ML seems to use pretty good rechargeables. Even my ole blue 700 mah would run 4 hours before i decided to upgrade. I think its more tech...... its changing fast new gets old faster. You can bet one of us will come up with a way to add a battery thats water proof. I saw Steve H already had a fairly large battery for his attached behind the cuff for gold hunting.

Dew
Just buy one of those USB battery sticks, you should be able to get through a full day then.

Posted by: irnwrkr
Date: January 29, 2018 02:44PM
Not even out yet and we are worried about swapping batteries. SMH, will worry about that bridge when I get to it

Posted by: TomNH
Date: January 29, 2018 06:30PM
Battery lasts 12 hrs. recharge time is 4 hrs. If you swing 8 hrs ( most cant) recharge time <4 hrs.
So start swinging at 8 AM til 4 PM. Plug in charger, go eat, have a few pops, & shoot the s***.
Probably good to go again about 7 PM.

Batteries are in the grip. Limited space. Move them to have longer life ( more or bigger bats) & you change the balance & overall weight.
You also have to do more waterproofing, a bit more weight maybe a few oz's. We all want balance & lightness !
Most want weight centered in the hand not at the ends..... If you shoot there can be a huge difference in balance. One gun will just
about fall into a good aim another is a bear to aim.

We want speed ! Speed = draw more current = shorter battery life.

Optional battery pack would be nice for a back up. BUT we want waterproof ! Keep on opening to change bats & there goes
the waterproofing.

enuf fer now
Tom in N.H.
LFOD !

Posted by: sparkster
Date: February 05, 2018 07:11PM
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.