Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
True all metal mode?
Posted by: Reeseb
Date: December 01, 2017 06:24PM
Has anyone heard whether the Equinox will have a true all metal mode or not? I know you can switch from a discrimination screen to an 'all metal' screen, but I am wondering if the all metal screen is really just an open screen with no discrimination as opposed to a true all metal mode that is bypassing discrimination like AM on the X-Terra and PP on the Excalibur.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 06:53PM by Reeseb.

Re: True all metal mode?
Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: December 02, 2017 04:39AM
Id be surprised if it does since it has a TID screen.......... but that would get me off the fence for sure. You just cant beat the Xcal in PP mode. THATS what they need to improve on...... REVERSE disc is a big deal for water hunters.

Dew

CTX, Blue Xcals
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Posted by: Jackpine Savage
Date: December 02, 2017 05:40AM
Prospecting mode will definitely have true all metal so there is no reason to think it won't apply to all selectable single frequencies.

BTW AM on the X-T is an "open screen", prospecting mode is all metal.

Save the Concentrics

Equinox 800

Minelab Advantage, G2, Omega 8500, X-Terra 705 and a Fisher ID Edge

Posted by: Reeseb
Date: December 02, 2017 08:11AM
Thanks for the clarification, JS. That will help me with the property marker searches I've been doing!

Date: December 02, 2017 05:13PM
But then the bbs Xcal uses it ...an the CTX dont. This isnt a gold machine....it just has the ability to hunt with that freq. Its got a lot to do..... so it going to depend on what the programer think this machines strength is.

CTX, Blue Xcals
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Date: December 03, 2017 02:37AM
dewcon4414
But then the bbs Xcal uses it ...an the CTX dont. This isnt a gold machine....it just has the ability to hunt with that freq. Its got a lot to do..... so it going to depend on what the programer think this machines strength is.

On the other side of the coin, why would they not make it as effective if not more so than the X-Terra series for prospecting? The X-Terra is competitive with other 19 kHz machines for that.
The 40 kHz option wasn't put in as an afterthought so I'd have to think the Equinox will take it up a notch at least.

Save the Concentrics

Equinox 800

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 02:39AM by Jackpine Savage.

Date: December 03, 2017 05:50AM
Im not a tech person, but i dont know that you can make a machine do it all WELL. Im guessing something has to suffer........ is it a better water machine, dirt machine, or gold machine. We wont know its limits until we get it. Im hoping its a true AM like the PP mode on the Xcal where you can reverse hunt and not a processed signal that tracks the long it runs. They say it wont over shadow the CTX for depth....... but in salt water a PP mode like the Xcal it may well equal it.

Dew

CTX, Blue Xcals
D. Meeker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 05:53AM by dewcon4414.

Posted by: Neil
Date: December 03, 2017 09:12AM
This is what I was thinking also, the prospecting mode is already on the Xterra which I believe it is as some have termed a true all metal mode.....it would only make sense it gets carried forward and possibly improved on. The prospecting mode is definetly the deepest and most sensitive hunt mode on the Xterra 70.
Which leads to another thought that if its on the Equinox and improved at all, what would be the value then of the Gold Monster is it? the minelab gold machine in this price range. Certainly wouldn't make good marketing sense to have two machines with similar performances without one having some valuable feature that would separate it and make it a seller.
[quote="Jackpine Savage"
dewcon4414

On the other side of the coin, why would they not make it as effective if not more so than the X-Terra series for prospecting? The X-Terra is competitive with other 19 kHz machines for that.
The 40 kHz option wasn't put in as an afterthought so I'd have to think the Equinox will take it up a notch at least.[/quote]

in everything give thanks

Etrac
X5
T2

Posted by: Bryan V
Date: December 03, 2017 01:03PM
The Equinox 800 has a true threshold based All Metal within the Gold Mode using either 20 or 40 kHz..

Bryan

Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Gold Monster
Takahashi FC-100DF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 01:16PM by Bryan V.

Date: December 03, 2017 02:27PM
But im told its a processed AM mode like the CTX in multi freq. Which for salt water hunting is needed.

CTX, Blue Xcals
D. Meeker

Date: December 03, 2017 04:08PM
Bryan V
The Equinox 800 has a true threshold based All Metal within the Gold Mode using either 20 or 40 kHz..

Bryan

Yup, I was incorrect in assuming that since the Gold Modes would have it that the lower single frequencies would as well. The 5, 10 and 15kHz frequencies are in an open screen all metals accepted discrimination mode when the horse shoe shaped button is pressed just like the X-T 705 when in AM mode.

Tom

Save the Concentrics

Equinox 800

Posted by: Neil
Date: December 03, 2017 07:39PM
Because of this, do you think its going to hurt there gold machine sales...the one in this price range....certainly seems like it would.
Bryan V

Bryan

in everything give thanks

Etrac
X5
T2

Posted by: Bryan V
Date: December 03, 2017 09:05PM
I don’t know. I can’t imagine getting rid of my Gold Monster even if the Equinox is a good nugget hunter.
The simplicity and performance of the Monster is pretty addicting.. It’s a very unique detector..
Minelab was probably smart releasing it before the EQ. They might not have sold so many if it had been the other way around..

Seeing the performance and build of the Monster also gave me the confidence to immediately order the Equinox the day of the announcement..

Bryan

Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Gold Monster
Takahashi FC-100DF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login